PDA

View Full Version : So I was looking at my summon monster 3 spells.

killem2
2013-03-29, 11:03 PM
The monstrous Centipede and for that matter none of the ones above large have feats.

Why?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousCentipede.htm

Aren't they entitled to at least a few of them?

Deophaun
2013-03-29, 11:05 PM
It has an intelligence of 0, so it doesn't get feats aside from bonus ones.

killem2
2013-03-29, 11:11 PM

Ahh, gotcha! Thanks! XD

Runestar
2013-03-29, 11:12 PM

Fiendish vermin have an int score of 3, and should be accorded feats (what more fiendish being an inherited template).

Probably a printing error.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-03-30, 11:19 AM
It's no printing error. The stat-block linked is for a normal monstrous centipede.

The SM spell summons a monstrous centipede with the fiendish creature template, which either the player or the DM will have to apply to the printed stats to determine the summoned creature's capabilities. Because the template makes an int - creature into an int 3 creature, this will include assigning feats.

Mystral
2013-03-30, 11:54 AM
Or, possibly, your dm assigning feats on a more or less random basis for you.

Mr Adventurer
2013-03-30, 01:43 PM
A fiendish creature uses all the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted in the template, which does not mention feats.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 01:47 PM
I was under the impression that a creature with a - int can only be granted an int score via specific templates, just as animals int can't be raised over the animal limit via template either? Now this may be a pathfinder artifact rather than 3.5 and I don't recall if it was a ruling or a raw statement somewhere but I do know I've read it somewhere...

Urpriest
2013-03-30, 02:59 PM
I was under the impression that a creature with a - int can only be granted an int score via specific templates, just as animals int can't be raised over the animal limit via template either? Now this may be a pathfinder artifact rather than 3.5 and I don't recall if it was a ruling or a raw statement somewhere but I do know I've read it somewhere...

Fiendish isn't Int +3, it explicitly gives a creature with Intelligence below three at least three intelligence. It only does anything whatsoever for vermin and animals and the like. Pathfinder's equivalent doesn't change Int.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 03:02 PM
ah thank you, hmm that does provide some interesting options for porting some older templates for my next campaign

killem2
2013-03-30, 09:50 PM
so I should be asking me dm what feats to add when talking about the fiendish ones?

Karnith
2013-03-30, 09:55 PM
so I should be asking me dm what feats to add when talking about the fiendish ones?
Yeah, it's really something that you need to work out between you and your DM. Just hope that he doesn't give them Toughness a bunch of times or something.

Kornaki
2013-03-31, 12:16 AM
Creatures stats are same as base creature, except intelligence is at least 3. So if the base creature's intelligence is 2 or lower, it has to have its intelligence score changed such that it is 3 or greater... but it never explicitly says that the intelligence score should be 3 at that point :smallamused:

One could argue from the SRD that a fiendish centipede could have 10 intelligence as easily as it has 3