PDA

View Full Version : Bard Spells [3.5]

Hyde
2013-03-29, 11:03 PM
So I've made a bard, diplomancy-flavored. The idea is that it's a noncombatant, skilled in stealth and public relations.

I want to take Mirror Move as a second level spell, because I think it might have some interesting side-effects.

Other than that, I'm pretty open to suggestion. Charm Person and Invisibility are very likely going on the list. It's a pathfinder bard, but since we can use 3.5 stuff, what I really want to do is make sure I don't miss anything obscure. I'm looking to go for more utility- a spell that lets me bypass fifteen situations is better than a spell that lets me murderface one or two.

A_S
2013-03-29, 11:15 PM
-Glibness is OP.
-Irresistable Dance is a great non-lethal no-save-just-lose (high level, though).
-Greater Mirror Image is one of the best oh-$#!# buttons in the game.
-Greater Blink is a great defensive buff.
-Inspirational Boost is obligatory.
-Alter Self is excellent for both combat and utility purposes.
-Shadow Conjuration and Evocation are nice since they can mimic multiple spells each.
-The X Image illusion spells can be great if you're creative with them.
-Dispel and Greater Dispel are never a bad idea.

That's everything that comes to mind right away.

Hyde
2013-03-29, 11:18 PM
All great takes. I think mostly out of my spell range at my low level, but pretty awesome.

A_S
2013-03-29, 11:21 PM
Oooh, I forgot my favorite Bard spell ever: Ruin Delver's Fortune (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041022a)! Still high-ish level, though, sorry. I've been building Sublime Chords lately, so I know a lot more about Bard spells level 4 and higher...

Darrin
2013-03-31, 05:56 AM
Some non-core bard spells to consider:

1st:

Bonerattle (Ghostwalk). Nice little twist on bonefiddle, although this is an entirely different spell. 1d4 sonic damage per level (5d4 max), Fort half, but not bad for a 1st level blasty spell.

Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon). Swift action, lesser version of mirror image.

Instant of Power (Forge of War). Immediate action, +4 enhancement bonus to any attack, save, or damage roll. Get a wand of this ASAP, put it in a wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) and never leave home without it.

Invisibility, Swift (Spell Compendium). Only lasts one round, but more useful in combat, since you can attack and then turn invisible.

Master's Touch (Spell Compendium). Lets you wield something exotic, such as a spiked chain or an orc shotput.

Targeting Ray (Spell Compendium). Tag! You're it!

2nd:

Bladeweave (Spell Compendium). Swift action to cast, then one target you hit in melee must make a will save vs. daze. While many things may be immune to stun, almost nothing is immune to daze. Great to use with whips.

Cloud of Bewilderment (Spell Compendium). Stinking cloud as a 2nd-level spell.

Deceptive Facade (Complete Mage). One of the only ways in the game to put a glamer on another creature or object.

Fly, Swift (Spell Compendium). A handy "get out of death free" card.

Ice Darts (Frostburn). Another rare blasty spell, only this one is useful for attacking multiple targets, such as mirror images.

Spymaster's Coin (Complete Scoundrel). Better version of listening coin.

Whirling Blade (Spell Compendium). 60' line of melee attacks.

3rd:

Cone of Euphoria (Dragons of Faerun). 20' cone, will save vs dazed for 1d6 rounds.

4th:

Celerity (PHBII). One of the most frequently banned spells.

5th:

Blink, Greater (Spell Compendium). No miss chance for your own attacks, and you can ready an action to completely ignore an attack. Great spell to persist, if you can do that on a bard chassis (Spelldancer).

6th:

Fey Ring (WotC website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a)). This is similar to call planar ally, but for fey. Make a diplomacy roll to get the fey to do what you want. Oh, too bad diplomacy is so hard to optimize...

Paul H
2013-03-31, 07:01 AM
Hi

You can meet prereq's for Sublime Chord at 10th lvl. That way you can us the Wizard spell list as well as the bards to learn spells.

Sublime Chord also has some nice abilities, plus allows yo u to cast 9th lvl spells!
(Whilst regaining your Bardic stuff)

Thanks
Paul H

Hyde
2013-03-31, 09:57 AM
...are you trolling me? like, me specifically?