PDA

View Full Version : What gear do you use?

Nightgaun7
2013-03-29, 11:47 PM
So I will, hopefully, be playing in a game soon, that's got higher level and higher WBL than games I've previously been in. And I am staggered by the amount of things you can buy. So I'm asking you bright people for some advice on what to spend my level 9 WBL on.

I'm a Goliath Barbarian/Fighter/Warblade/Crusader that is a decent all-round fighter. I've got tripping for battlefield control, so I plan to use a guisarme, with a greatsword for backup. Also armor spikes and a morning star, for bludgeoning/piercing, and a composite longbow for range. I need a shield of some sort, I suppose, even if making it Animated is a bit expensive right now. I have a few ideas for what to put on my weapon, but I'd like some other people's advice.

Armor: Should I go with mithral full plate, or is there something else I should consider?

For everything else, just say what you like or think I should buy, don't have any slots filled yet.

Greenish
2013-03-29, 11:52 PM
Personally, I prefer not to be slowed, and mithril breastplate is cheaper anyway. Of course, mithril chain shirt and MW dastana is the favoured combo.

Other than that, well, take a look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851), here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0), and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101).

Sith_Happens
2013-03-30, 01:08 AM
Making the armor spikes +1 Warning costs 8000 gp and gives you an untyped +5 to initiative as long as you're wearing your armor.

Also don't forget a Belt of Battle.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-30, 02:47 AM
Well here's what I'm looking at so far

Weapons
Guisarme 9
- Adamantine 3000
- Lucky/Bloodstone/Spellstoring (pick one) 2000
Greatsword 50
- Least Crystal of Return 300
Morningstar 8
Spiked gauntlet 5
Locked Gauntlet 8
Net 20
Composite Longbow 100

Armor
Full Plate 1500
Armor spikes 50
Mithral 9000

Misc
Handy Haversack 2000
Anklet of Translocation 1400
Boots of Continuous Expeditious Retreat 4000
Healing Belt 750
Vampire Torc 5000
Magic Bedroll 500

Total so far is 29700, I have 6300 GP left

Here's my character sheet, if it helps
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449074

gibbo88
2013-03-30, 03:05 AM
I've always vetoed boots of continual expeditious retreat since there are already boots based off that spell.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-30, 03:05 AM
Here are some other items I was thinking of:

Bear Helm 1500
Helm of Battle 2000
Counterstrike Bracers 2500
Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker 500
Vest of Resistance +2 4000
Ring of Anticipation (DoTU). 6000GP, ring slot. Roll all initiative checks twice.
Third Eye Freedom 2600

Darrin
2013-03-30, 06:21 AM
Weapons
Guisarme 9
- Adamantine 3000

Consider Starmetal instead. Same properties, 5000 GP, and +1d6 damage on any extraplanar creature.

I'd probably go with spellstoring.

Armor
Full Plate 1500
Armor spikes 50
Mithral 9000

Unless your Dex bonus is higher than +2, use Darkleaf instead (A&EG). Only 3000 GP (+150 for MW). Add Durable and Restful for 500 GP each (Dungeonscape). Anti-Impact (+2000 GP, Complete Warrior) and Easy Travel (+1500, MIC) are also quite nice. As medium armor, you can also add a Crystal of Alacrity (3500 GP, MIC p. 195) for a +5' morale bonus to speed.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-30, 08:53 AM
You can't go wrong with a Scrying Shard (MIC 1350gp), after all, who doesn't want at-will Scrying?

Amnestic
2013-03-30, 09:43 AM
You can't go wrong with a Scrying Shard (MIC 1350gp), after all, who doesn't want at-will Scrying?

DMs :smallwink:

Daftendirekt
2013-03-30, 09:59 AM

Erm, a Scrying Shard doesn't let you cast Scrying at will. It just acts as a focus for the spell. You know how generally wiz/sorc needs the mirror and clerics need the font of water and druids can just pee on the ground and use that pee puddle? Well, they can all use a Scrying Shard.

I can see how you could interpret it as anybody being able to cast Scrying through this regardless of their spellcasting ability, but the "Activation: --" makes me think otherwise. If it was an activated item, it would have an action listed. The item is merely a universal focus.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 10:03 AM
Erm, a Scrying Shard doesn't let you cast Scrying at will. It just acts as a focus for the spell. You know how generally wiz/sorc needs the mirror and clerics need the font of water and druids can just pee on the ground and use that pee puddle? Well, they can all use a Scrying Shard.

I can see how you could interpret it as anybody being able to cast Scrying through this regardless of their spellcasting ability, but the "Activation: --" makes me think otherwise. If it was an activated item, it would have an action listed. The item is merely a universal focus.

RUN! People on this board hate it if you bring up the actual use for the item instead of their twisted version that requires bad grammar to work as they want it to :smalleek:

Agent 451
2013-03-30, 11:14 AM
Don't forget a Heward's Handy Haversack, or a Bag of Holding.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-30, 11:23 AM
What are some other good ways to increase speed?

Boots of Continuous Expeditious Retreat
Boots of Striding and Springing
Crystal of Alacrity
Sandals of the Light Step are good, but expensive
Tooth of Dahlver-Nar is both good and cheap, but has some other side effects.

Also why does even medium armor reduce your speed to 20 feet, instead of 25? Seems a bit odd.

Don't forget a Heward's Handy Haversack, or a Bag of Holding.

Already listed.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-30, 01:12 PM
Let me first say this: I am not ignoring the RAI of the shard. I am merely pointing out the RAW that means the shard really does let you cast Scrying at will.

According to the MiC Rules, an item with "Activation --" simply means that it's continuous, no activation required. Now we go down to the Scrying Shard and it says "Cast the spell Scrying". This means exactly what it says, we can cast scrying with the 10 minuite casting time. We don't activate a Scrying Shard at all, it passively and continuously gives us the ability to cast Scrying using the Shard as a focus.

RUN! People on this board hate it if you bring up the actual use for the item instead of their twisted version that requires bad grammar to work as they want it to :smalleek:

Actualy, the grammar of the Scrying Shard is perfect. It's the poor choice of words that allows us to cast Scrying at will.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 01:28 PM
It's bad grammar to take only part of a sentence and use it to mean what you want it to mean whilst ignoring the rest

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-30, 02:08 PM
A character of any class can cast scrying using a scrying shard as a focus.

The unaltered, unambiguious, complete RAW.

The part I refered to before was simply explaining the Activation.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 02:19 PM
The unaltered, unambiguious, complete RAW.

The part I refered to before was simply explaining the Activation.

nothing in there "grants" the ability to cast the spell. There is no raw precedence for that phrase to grant it, and the grammar or wording does not imply that either unless you cut the sentence off just before the word "using". It's no different that the silliness that ensues when you use a scroll as a prereq for a feat or prestige class based on the phrasing "Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell."

Andezzar
2013-03-30, 02:19 PM
Consider Starmetal instead. Same properties, 5000 GP, and +1d6 damage on any extraplanar creature. Consider the Transmuting special ability from MIC. While it does not do anything in the first round, it will negate any combination of DR in rounds 2-11, including alignment and other stuff. It costs +2. It does not help against hardness though.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-30, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Ravenica;14995582]nothing in there "grants" the ability to cast the spell. There is no raw precedence for that phrase to grant it, and the grammar or wording does not imply that either unless you cut the sentence off just before the word "using".[quote]

I'm pretty certain the words "A character of any class can cast scrying" gives it the ability. It doesn't say "A character of any class that can cast scrying", which has a completely different meaning.

Before we derail this thread any further, I'm opening a seperate thread where we can continue the conversation.

rot42
2013-03-30, 03:16 PM
Scrying Shard nonsense
Eesh, not this again. Could we please put this conversation somewhere else so the OP can actually get some use out of the thread?

Acrobat Boots (MIC) give a speed bump a few times per day on the cheap.

If you can get a decent Use Magic Device skill (often worthwhile anyway), there is a Swift version of Expeditious Retreat in the Spell Compendium. I am with gibbo88 in not allowing a continuous version of either (DMG "compare to similar items" clause).

Transposer Cloak (MIC) allows switching places with an ally (or technically an enemy, but the save DC is really low) as a Swift action - you get a full attack and they get to charge again. Use the "common abilities" section near the end of the Magic Item Compendium to put a resistance bonus on the same item without the 50% penalty for combining effects (or sweet talk your local magic user into casting Superior Resistance).

Nightgaun7
2013-03-30, 03:42 PM
If you can get a decent Use Magic Device skill (often worthwhile anyway), there is a Swift version of Expeditious Retreat in the Spell Compendium. I am with gibbo88 in not allowing a continuous version of either (DMG "compare to similar items" clause).

ie a wand or something? I don't have too many skill points and cross-classing into UMD (and with low Cha, relatively) will make it a pain.

Azoth
2013-03-30, 11:28 PM
Throw it on a wand and throw the wand into a wand chamber (100gp) on your weapon. Eats your swift every round you use it, but you don't have to drop your weapon either.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 12:11 AM
Throw it on a wand and throw the wand into a wand chamber (100gp) on your weapon. Eats your swift every round you use it, but you don't have to drop your weapon either.

I think I'd rather get boots of striding and springing or something and have my swift actions and not burn through wands constantly : /

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 03:35 AM
I just noticed this: I thought mithral gave you a bonus to AC as well as it's other benefits, but in rereading the description I don't see that at all. Hrm. Time for Darkleaf?

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 03:38 AM
Darkleaf does not (directly) increase AC either.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 04:10 AM
Darkleaf does not (directly) increase AC either.

Yeah, but it's much cheaper.

Does the Feycraft property actually do you any good besides reducing ASF and carrying capacity? My IRL GM has said that things that reduce weight enough to get them into a lower category effectively work as Mithral does in terms of reducing from heavy to medium, etc, but I don't know if this is how it actually works or just a houserule.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 05:16 AM
Yeah, but it's much cheaper.And not as good: +1 max DEX vs. +2 max DEX, -10% ASF vs 5% and weighs half as much. The ACP reduction is the same once you make the darkleaf armor masterwork.

If you compare breastplates you are right about the price (2600 gp vs 4200 gp), But Light Armor can also be made from mithral. So a mithral chainshirt is only 1100 gp for a better maximum AC, if you have DEX 20 or more.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 05:38 AM
And not as good: +1 max DEX vs. +2 max DEX, -10% ASF vs 5% and weighs half as much. The ACP reduction is the same once you make the darkleaf armor masterwork.

If you compare breastplates you are right about the price (2600 gp vs 4200 gp), But Light Armor can also be made from mithral. So a mithral chainshirt is only 1100 gp for a better maximum AC, if you have DEX 20 or more.

Well, I'm a tank. And Darkleaf reduces it from heavy to medium, does it not? Same as Mithril full-plate would. I don't care about ASF, since I have no casting.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 05:50 AM
Does the Feycraft property actually do you any good besides reducing ASF and carrying capacity? My IRL GM has said that things that reduce weight enough to get them into a lower category effectively work as Mithral does in terms of reducing from heavy to medium, etc, but I don't know if this is how it actually works or just a houserule.That is a houserule. Feycraft Armors do not go down one weight category. They only only weigh 10% less.
Besides the reduced ASF, Feycraft armors' only other beneficial quality is the affinity for certain special abilities.

Well, I'm a tank. And Darkleaf reduces it from heavy to medium, does it not? Same as Mithril full-plate would. I don't care about ASF, since I have no casting.OK the Full plate would net you 11 AC in mithral (DEX 16+) and 10 in darkleaf (DEX 14+). Probably not relevant, but the mithral plate weighs 25 lbs whereas the darkleaf plate weighs 50 lbs.
Both let you run four times your speed, but neither allows you to tumble (because of the speed reduction of medium armor).

Why do you want the armor to be medium? It does not help that much.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 05:57 AM
That is a houserule. Feycraft Armors do not go down one weight category. They only only weigh 10% less.
Besides the reduced ASF, Feycraft armors' only other beneficial quality is the affinity for certain special abilities.

OK the Full plate would net you 11 AC in mithral (DEX 16+) and 10 in darkleaf (DEX 14+). Probably not relevant, but the mithral plate weighs 25 lbs whereas the darkleaf plate weighs 50 lbs.
Both let you run four times your speed, but neither allows you to tumble (because of the speed reduction of medium armor).

Why do you want the armor to be medium? It does not help that much.

Uh...good question. It just seems like it should help? When I say medium I just mean a heavy armor that's counted as a category less. To be entirely honest I'm not very familiar with armor and such, all my previous characters have been equipped with a breastplate, at most. I'm just trying to be good and tanky.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 06:14 AM
Uh...good question. It just seems like it should help? When I say medium I just mean a heavy armor that's counted as a category less. To be entirely honest I'm not very familiar with armor and such, all my previous characters have been equipped with a breastplate, at most. I'm just trying to be good and tanky.Why don't you post a bit more of your character, so we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Actual tanking, i.e. forcing your opponents to attack you instead of your companions, is not very easily accomplished in 3.5. Just being resilient much more so.

Darrin
2013-03-31, 06:14 AM
Uh...good question. It just seems like it should help? When I say medium I just mean a heavy armor that's counted as a category less. To be entirely honest I'm not very familiar with armor and such, all my previous characters have been equipped with a breastplate, at most. I'm just trying to be good and tanky.

If you want heavy armor that doesn't restrict your movement, use the Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement) from the FR Underdark book to count your armor as light. You'll get your full movement, tumble, run, etc. Expensive, though... at least 16000 GP on top of your base armor cost. If you can afford it, though, slap it on Thaalud Stone Armor (Anauroch: Empire of Shade, 2800 GP, +12 armor bonus, +0 Max Dex).

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 06:30 AM
Why don't you post a bit more of your character, so we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Actual tanking, i.e. forcing your opponents to attack you instead of your companions, is not very easily accomplished in 3.5. Just being resilient much more so.

I posted it earlier, but it's here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449074). Lockdown Crusader with other stuff mixed in. Note the sheet is still a bit WIP.

I'm aiming to be resilient.

If you want heavy armor that doesn't restrict your movement, use the Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement) from the FR Underdark book to count your armor as light. You'll get your full movement, tumble, run, etc. Expensive, though... at least 16000 GP on top of your base armor cost. If you can afford it, though, slap it on Thaalud Stone Armor (Anauroch: Empire of Shade, 2800 GP, +12 armor bonus, +0 Max Dex).

Yikes, that would be more than half my budget! But good to know for later.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 08:56 AM
I posted it earlier, but it's here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449074). Lockdown Crusader with other stuff mixed in. Note the sheet is still a bit WIP.
Unless I'm mistaken you selected one feat too many. You should have 4 from 9 levels and 2 bonus feats from the fighter levels. That makes 6. You have 7. Personally I'd remove defensive sweep.

To use tumble you will need armor that does not reduce your speed or some ability that allows you to tumble with reduced speed.

At the moment I think your best choice would be Darkleaf/mithral Breasplate and some other ways to improve AC (Dex item, amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection etc.).

Disregard the former if you can get your DM to allow the Tooth of Savnok (ToM p. 79) and you are fine with the drawbacks of the item. Then go nuts with the Thaalud stone plate.
Don't forget that increasing your AC decreases your chance of using Zealous Surge.

While Halfweight is nice, it removes/delays three slots for other cooler special abilities.

If you like to travel in style and have money to spare, buy a horn of plenty (MIC p. 162). Your party will thank you. Heck buy two for Fear and Poison Immunity all day long for everyone (unless your party is larger than 12).

A can opener (Stone Dragon Belt with Mountain Hammer maneuver) might also be nice.

Looking over the items you mentioned earlier, I se you made a mistake with your guisarme. You cannot add a special ability (lucky, bloodstone, spellstoring etc.) without first adding at least a real +1. So the magic in the weapon would cost at least 8000 gp (equivalent of a +2 weapon)

Since you are playing in a cold region and goliaths are not particularly resilient to cold, think about buying a Crystal of Adaptation (MiC p. 24)

Invader
2013-03-31, 09:26 AM
Well here's what I'm looking at so far

Weapons
Guisarme 9
- Adamantine 3000
Greatsword 50
- Least Crystal of Return 300
Morningstar 8
Spiked gauntlet 5
Locked Gauntlet 8
Net 20
Composite Longbow 100

Armor
Full Plate 1500
Armor spikes 50
Mithral 9000

Misc
Handy Haversack 2000
Anklet of Translocation 1400
Boots of Continuous Expeditious Retreat 4000
Healing Belt 750
Vampire Torc 5000
Magic Bedroll 500

Total so far is 29700, I have 6300 GP left

Here's my character sheet, if it helps
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449074

A guisarme with any of those abilities is going to be 8000gp not 2000 so youre basically out of money.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 01:09 PM
Unless I'm mistaken you selected one feat too many. You should have 4 from 9 levels and 2 bonus feats from the fighter levels. That makes 6. You have 7. Personally I'd remove defensive sweep.

To use tumble you will need armor that does not reduce your speed or some ability that allows you to tumble with reduced speed.

At the moment I think your best choice would be Darkleaf/mithral Breasplate and some other ways to improve AC (Dex item, amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection etc.).

Disregard the former if you can get your DM to allow the Tooth of Savnok (ToM p. 79) and you are fine with the drawbacks of the item. Then go nuts with the Thaalud stone plate.
Don't forget that increasing your AC decreases your chance of using Zealous Surge.

While Halfweight is nice, it removes/delays three slots for other cooler special abilities.

If you like to travel in style and have money to spare, buy a horn of plenty (MIC p. 162). Your party will thank you. Heck buy two for Fear and Poison Immunity all day long for everyone (unless your party is larger than 12).

A can opener (Stone Dragon Belt with Mountain Hammer maneuver) might also be nice.

Looking over the items you mentioned earlier, I see you made a mistake with your guisarme. You cannot add a special ability (lucky, bloodstone, spellstoring etc.) without first adding at least a real +1. So the magic in the weapon would cost at least 8000 gp (equivalent of a +2 weapon)

Since you are playing in a cold region and goliaths are not particularly resilient to cold, think about buying a Crystal of Adaptation (MiC p. 24)

We get an extra feat as a house rule.

So I should spend my Tumble ranks elsewhere? And I just realized that I can't use tumble while Raging anyways, correct?

Not totally sold on Tooth of Savnok, though it's difficult to resist the temptation.

Dang it, things are so bloody expensive. That's a dumb rule. Who cares about a dinky +1? I just want the other properties. I mean, why even bother if every single thing has to have it?

I thought about it, but the GM said we were supposed to stay away from too much stuff that made us immune to the effects of cold.

A guisarme with any of those abilities is going to be 8000gp not 2000 so youre basically out of money.

Or I could spend the money on something else, I guess.

Hyde
2013-03-31, 01:19 PM
Personally, I find items of +Stats pretty darn useful, they're usually my first take (Though I'm usually playing a character that gets a lot out of a single stat, like my 3x CHA to AC Paladin or a Wizard. The only beatface that I've played is the gargoyle, and the +6 to str was a relative drop in the bucket, but even he enjoyed multaplicatives)

For me, a passive bonus trumps an activated one, and something without a DC trumps something with one. I find stacking a lot of small advantages pans out better than a few big ones, and so I end up with a lot of strange tools and such that aren't even magical- I can't really go into specifics, but lateral thinking goes a long way.

More than anything, I try to grab a Contract of Nepthas.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 01:29 PM
Personally, I find items of +Stats pretty darn useful, they're usually my first take (Though I'm usually playing a character that gets a lot out of a single stat, like my 3x CHA to AC Paladin or a Wizard. The only beatface that I've played is the gargoyle, and the +6 to str was a relative drop in the bucket, but even he enjoyed multaplicatives)

For me, a passive bonus trumps an activated one, and something without a DC trumps something with one. I find stacking a lot of small advantages pans out better than a few big ones, and so I end up with a lot of strange tools and such that aren't even magical- I can't really go into specifics, but lateral thinking goes a long way.

More than anything, I try to grab a Contract of Nepthas.

I've already got a slightly modified version of Shax's Haversack, although mine's quite a bit cheaper. Adapted it for Frostfell and cut down on the number of things.

Should I bother trying to put things on my weapons and armor at this point? It's going to be at least 8000 to put anything on a weapons, and 4k (?) to buy anything on a piece of armor.

Hyde
2013-03-31, 01:44 PM
I find weapon abilities to be frequently underwhelming for the cost. Wounding is pretty nice if you've got a hundred attacks per round, but nothing really seems to get there. I seem to recall... bodyfeeding? might be worthwhile.

Someone in the party should have ghost touch, or something like it- you can kill a thousand monsters, but one incorporeal you're not prepared for can ruin your day.

iirc the metalline property is similarly useful. Really, weapon abilities just aren't my thing.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 02:07 PM
So I should spend my Tumble ranks elsewhere? And I just realized that I can't use tumble while Raging anyways, correct?You are right, you can't use Tumble while raging. Whether you want to put the skill points into other skills is up to you. Don't forget flying into a rage is not an Action and it can even be performed during your other actions. So you could do a Charge while tumbling past someone and only activate the Rage after passing but before rolling to hit.

Not totally sold on Tooth of Savnok, though it's difficult to resist the temptation. I don't like the being possessed aspect of it, even if a character of mine could find this unique tooth.

Dang it, things are so bloody expensive. That's a dumb rule. Who cares about a dinky +1? I just want the other properties. I mean, why even bother if every single thing has to have it?Because the +1 has an important other feature besides the measly numerical bonus: It allows you to hit incorporeal foes (50% of the time).

I thought about it, but the GM said we were supposed to stay away from too much stuff that made us immune to the effects of cold. Weird. Why wouldn't seasoned adventurers be prepared? Also the crystal does not even help against cold damage, it only lets you live comfortably in hot and cold (not frigging cold as possible in Frostburn) environments.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 02:07 PM
I find weapon abilities to be frequently underwhelming for the cost. Wounding is pretty nice if you've got a hundred attacks per round, but nothing really seems to get there. I seem to recall... bodyfeeding? might be worthwhile.

Someone in the party should have ghost touch, or something like it- you can kill a thousand monsters, but one incorporeal you're not prepared for can ruin your day.

iirc the metalline property is similarly useful. Really, weapon abilities just aren't my thing.

Yeah, that's the feeling I'm getting. But we have a dread necro in the party, and having spell-storing or bloodstone would be good both mechanically and thematically. As for Lucky, well, rerolls are awesome. Any ideas besides weapon properties?

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 02:10 PM
You are right, you can't use Tumble while raging. Whether you want to put the skill points into other skills is up to you. Don't forget flying into a rage is not an Action and it can even be performed during your other actions. So you could do a Charge while tumbling past someone and only activate the Rage after passing but before rolling to hit.

I don't like the being possessed aspect of it, even if a character of mine could find this unique tooth.

Because the +1 has an important other feature besides the measly numerical bonus: It allows you to hit incorporeal foes (50% of the time).

Weird. Why wouldn't seasoned adventurers be prepared? Also the crystal does not even help against cold damage, it only lets you live comfortably in hot and cold (not frigging cold as possible in Frostburn) environments.

Yeah, for that last bit I just haven't asked too many questions. I have a magic bedroll and mundane survival gear, so hopefully I'll be ok. And we should have time to prepare anything else we need before we really get started adventuring?

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 02:16 PM
PS: How much does an animated shield cost? 4000 GP for the enhancement? Shields seem to be a bit tricky in that you can do them as both weapons and armor?

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 02:18 PM
PS: How much does an animated shield cost? 4000 GP for the enhancement? Shields seem to be a bit tricky in that you can do them as both weapons and armor?Just as with weapons you need a real +1 first. So it is 9000 gp (equivalent of a +3 shield)

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 02:24 PM
Just as with weapons you need a real +1 first. So it is 9000 gp (equivalent of a +3 shield)

Bloody 'ell.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 02:26 PM
For a mere 4k gp that item would just be too good, especially once you cast magic vestment on it.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 06:58 PM
So in so far as I understand you can't go back and upgrade materials later, so you pretty much have to buy Adamantine right off if you want it to be that later, right? I can't take a +1 Lucky Bloodstone Glaive and then upgrade it to Adamantine or Aurorum or something? So I need to spring for any materials I want now, or get them later and not bother with whatever it is now. Can I add Oerthblood, for example, later on?

There should be a guide for gear optimization, in terms of what's good for WBL.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 07:36 PM
Nope you cannot change the material later on. The only way to avoid that is to get the metalline special ability (+2, MIC p 38) which can mimic adamantine, alchemical silver or cold iron.

Don't worry too much about wasting money on gear you will later exchange. WBL and the treasure values assume that you go through a lot of consumables. If you don't you will come out ahead.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 07:44 PM
Nope you cannot change the material later on. The only way to avoid that is to get the metalline special ability (+2, MIC p 38) which can mimic adamantine, alchemical silver or cold iron.

Don't worry too much about wasting money on gear you will later exchange. WBL and the treasure values assume that you go through a lot of consumables. If you don't you will come out ahead.

But it's better to go ahead and buy all the materials you can beforehand and then upgrade them in play, it seems. For instance, rather than spending 8k on a bloodstone guisarme now, I should trick it out with Aurorum and Oerthblooded now and enchant it later.

Optionally, I could just have a fairly normal weapon and spend most of my WBL on slotted items and such and just get weapons and such throughout play.

Andezzar
2013-03-31, 07:49 PM
But it's better to go ahead and buy all the materials you can beforehand and then upgrade them in play, it seems. For instance, rather than spending 8k on a bloodstone guisarme now, I should trick it out with Aurorum and Oerthblooded now and enchant it later.

Optionally, I could just have a fairly normal weapon and spend most of my WBL on slotted items and such and just get weapons and such throughout play.Yes, that is cheaper. The question is will you survive long enough to upgrade the weapon later. Adamantine has no advantage over steel as long a s the opposition does not have DR or regularly tries to sunder your weapon. The enchantments will most likely benefit you earlier.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 07:50 PM
Yes, that is cheaper. The question is will you survive long enough to upgrade the weapon later. Adamantine has no advantage over steel as long a s the opposition does not have DR or regularly tries to sunder your weapon. The enchantments will most likely benefit you earlier.

Fair enough. I've never really played at ECL 8+ before, so this is sort of a new experience.

How might you spend your 36,000 gold for this guy?

Nightgaun7
2013-03-31, 10:35 PM
OK, so I'm looking at an Adamantine Oerthblooded Guisarme, for 9009 GP, a Mithril Animated Extreme Shield for 8040 GP, and plain old Darkleaf fullplate with armor spikes for 4550 GP. Is this a good way to start?

EDIT: I think I made an error and that the shield should actually be slightly over 10,000 GP, in which case, screw it.

Nightgaun7
2013-04-01, 01:32 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that you could stack a belt of healing on top of a belt of battle or something like that. Is this in fact the case?

TuggyNE
2013-04-01, 01:55 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that you could stack a belt of healing on top of a belt of battle or something like that. Is this in fact the case?

Yeah, use the MIC rules for combining magic items in the same slot. It costs more than the sum of the items, though.

magwaaf
2013-04-01, 02:17 AM
alot of my gear is dm made at the moment but i do have some "normal" gear

this is from my dragon shaman in a pathfinder/3.5 faerun game. (we switched to pf at level 4)

dragonscale breastplate
+1 soulfire made of black, white, and gare linnorm scales.
3 acid/cold resist
+4 vs curses

white dragon wing cloak
+4 cloak of resistance
3 cold resist

ring of the ram

ring of deflection +2 (not being used but still have)

+1 holy great club

+2 returning distance great axe
counts as adamantine in my hands
30' range increment

gloves of doubling my range increments (forgot the name)

+3 con boots

+2 keen longsword that gives me barbarian rage when drawn

helmet
+2 ac
wearer can be heard clearly above the dn and clamor of battle
house rule stuff

pine twig necklace - 5/ever burn a charge, negate a death effect.

when i'm not tired i'll remember more of my stuff

Andezzar
2013-04-01, 02:30 AM
OK, so I'm looking at an Adamantine Oerthblooded Guisarme, for 9009 GP, a Mithril Animated Extreme Shield for 8040 GP, and plain old Darkleaf fullplate with armor spikes for 4550 GP. Is this a good way to start? IIRC Oerthblood is part of a specific campaign setting (can't check though, because I don't have access to Dragon Magazines). So that material may not be available.

Yeah, use the MIC rules for combining magic items in the same slot. It costs more than the sum of the items, though.The MIC only has special rules for adding generic bonuses (abilities, saves, AC etc.) Only then is the extra cost waived. The normal rule (+50% to each property after the first) is in the DMG and is not changed by the MIC.

About materials that can ignore DR: the most you will be encountering is DR 15 (pre-epic), so while it is nice not to have your damage reduced, you would not be totally ineffective even with the "wrong" weapon.

TuggyNE
2013-04-01, 02:54 AM
The MIC only has special rules for adding generic bonuses (abilities, saves, AC etc.) Only then is the extra cost waived. The normal rule (+50% to each property after the first) is in the DMG and is not changed by the MIC.

Ah, right, 'swhat I get for not looking that up. :smallyuk:

gooddragon1
2013-04-01, 03:23 AM
Ring of Freedom of Movement. You just have to have it. Your dm might be nice to you and not throw the really nasty undead baddies but every1 and their relatives has a ridiculous grapple check. You don't want to be grappled. It makes it so you can't do nearly as much.

Daftendirekt
2013-04-01, 05:27 AM
Ring of Freedom of Movement. You just have to have it. Your dm might be nice to you and not throw the really nasty undead baddies but every1 and their relatives has a ridiculous grapple check. You don't want to be grappled. It makes it so you can't do nearly as much.

Yeah, if only he had 40,000gp just lying around.

Darrin
2013-04-01, 07:55 AM
Yeah, if only he had 40,000gp just lying around.

Slightly cheaper if you put it on a buckler or bracers of armor: 36000 GP. I'd settle for a Third Eye Freedom (2600 GP, MIC) until he saves up a bit more gold.