PDA

View Full Version : Help avoiding Pathfinder Cleric spell traps

Fitch3k
2013-03-30, 01:18 AM
I'm rolling a 4th lvl Cleric, buff/prevent role, battlefield general.

I'm coming into a game. It's non serious, power gaming, I heard they gain about 2 lvls a session (so I'm already thinking about higher lvls) and their gear is insane home brew, already at 4th lvl. My friend was telling me how she has a "mobile gundam suit" +10 Full Plate thats animated and gives her str bonuses.

So my worry coming in is, are my buff spells going to be useless? What is some spells that don't stack once characters have magic weapons, rings, and amulets? Like is my magic vestment not going to stack with magic armor or a spell that add deflection bonus to armor not stack with an item that adds deflection, ect.?

Thanks

Theprettiestorc
2013-03-30, 01:47 AM
O.e.

Focus on doing healing or damaging is all I can say, with all that crazy homebrew.

navar100
2013-03-30, 12:20 PM
Protection From Evil and Shield of Faith are nice spells to have. However, while Protection From Evil also boosts saving throws, their AC bonus is a deflection bonus thus they don't stack with a ring of protection. When someone has a ring of protection +2, that's when you don't bother with those spells unless a party member who doesn't have a ring could still efficiently benefit.

Bull's Strength is always a good choice until someone get an enhancement item. Even if the item is only +2, Bull's Strength would still be inefficient for that person. Keep Bull Strength around until everyone you'd want to cast it on doesn't need it anymore.

Don't bother with Magic Weapon. When no one has a magic weapon you don't need it. Bless and Bull's Strength are more efficient. When everyone has one it's useless. At higher levels Greater Magic Weapon is efficient for the archer's arrows; otherwise, don't bother. Even when the warriors aren't benefiting from Bull's Strength anymore because they have an enhancement item, Blessing of Fervor is a much better 4th level spell to use. However, if you find you do really need to pump up a particular warrior, then specific circumstances trump generalities and use Greater Magic Weapon.

Only prepare Align Weapon if you absolutely know for certain you will need it.

Fitch3k
2013-03-30, 10:28 PM
thank you for the info. I used to play with a low fantasy group, and never had to use my spells alongside many powerful magic items. Was unsure how they would be affected.

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-30, 10:34 PM
Why not take a page from the game itself and cheese yourself some nice homebrew items. Like a divine focus that adds +4 divine damage/healing per die of each cleric spell you cast?