PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pirate? (Build suggestion solicitation)

Alienist
2013-03-30, 08:25 AM
Hi. My character who I okayed with the head judge in my country last year has been ruled illegal and I was told I can't play him in tournaments.

I'm thinking of playing a pirate, and I'd like it not to suck.

Suggestions?

I thought about Bard (inspire the crew kind of thing) or Gunslinger/Highwayman kind of thing, but I've played the seventh level gunslinger pregen and he kind of sucked donkey. I'd rather not invest a couple more years into something and then discover that it blows goats.

Thanks (in advance) for your help.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 10:24 AM
gunslingers aren't bad, they are high tier 4 low tier 3 iirc but that becomes very dependent on the dm and utterly pointless if PFS play due to some of the unreasonable restrictions...

bard into battle herald could work, hollering orders and inspiring the crew

and the rogue class has a pirate archetype as well heh...
theres a shackles pirate prestige class as well but it's kind of average

Duboris
2013-03-30, 02:40 PM
Pretty sure there's a swashbuckler archetype for rogue, which is nice. It involves guns.

Chaosvii7
2013-03-30, 03:27 PM
There's a Human-specific Archetype for Gunslingers called the Buccaneer that gets sailing and pirate-like features. You could perhaps go with that if race is no factor.

For things that give party-wide benefits, there's the Shield Marshal prestige class from Paths of Prestige(found as Grand Marshal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/shieldmarshal) on here, presumably due to setting/OGL restriction). It turns gunslingers into semi-inquisitor hunters, it could work for a hardcore swashbuckler who inspires his allies and takes on the mightiest of pirates.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-30, 07:34 PM
I'd consider an Arcane Duelist or Buccaneer Bard with archery feats (RAW, the Hilt Bash should work with ranged weapons) and possibly Arcane Strike. At 5th level, they essentially get a nonlethal-smite-whoever-the-hell-I-want. Just don't choose to deal nonlethal damage to the target of Knock Out while it's active, because that cancels it, and enjoy the +Cha to attack rolls.

Archery will be a great non-spell use of your time, if you keep a diverse stock of arrows handy (special materials, Bane enchantment, etc).

Hendel
2013-03-30, 11:34 PM
I have been looking at characters to play in the Skull and Shackles AP and some of the ideas I have actually ran through 4th level in a pirate game.

Half-Orc Ranger (Freebooter) - Works well, strong and very functional on a ship.
Halfling Druid (Pack Lord) with a Roc - Druid has the best spells for being out at sea and surviving, plus summoning is great. The Roc allows me to be airborne and get a great view of what is on the horizon, etc.
Kitsune Sorcerer (Fey Bloodline) - Everything he wants, he gets by just asking in the right way. At 1st level he had enchantment DC of 21 which is really nice!

Just some ideas.

I also thought it would be nice if the DM allowed a warforged. I think they would make great workers on a ship and no fear of drowning!!

Arutema
2013-03-31, 01:22 AM
Tournaments? Is this a Pathfinder Society character?

If a PFS character is found illegal, you can rebuild the illegal aspects of him.

Can you let us know what the character was beforehand and why it's not legal?

Crustypeanut
2013-03-31, 02:10 AM
Don't forget the Fighter Archetype, Corsair. Lets you eventually swim at no penalty in Full Plate, and you even get Cleave and Greater Cleave for free, and don't take any AC penalties from usin' em.

magwaaf
2013-04-01, 11:50 AM
Hi. My character who I okayed with the head judge in my country last year has been ruled illegal and I was told I can't play him in tournaments.

I'm thinking of playing a pirate, and I'd like it not to suck.

Suggestions?

I thought about Bard (inspire the crew kind of thing) or Gunslinger/Highwayman kind of thing, but I've played the seventh level gunslinger pregen and he kind of sucked donkey. I'd rather not invest a couple more years into something and then discover that it blows goats.

Thanks (in advance) for your help.

another post that makes meremember how much i f*ng love gunslingers