PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for an Archeologist/Explorer/Scholar build

Clistenes
2013-03-30, 08:26 AM
I was thinking on creating a explorer-scholar kind of character. An adventurer who would seek rare relics and forbidden texts, unearth old cities, seek legendary locations...etc., for the sake of knowledge.

Wizard/Loremaster or Archivist/Loremaster seems appropiate, but it doesn't give the "explorer" vibe I'm seeking. Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge could work too.

The Pathfinder Prestige Class seems perfect, but it's kind of weak.

So, if it where you, how would you do it? The character should start around level 5 and, if possible (probably not), go all the way up to 20 or epic. The rules would be basically 3.5 with more feats (one feat per two levels) and Pathfinder Game's skills. I'm seeking both survavility and usefulness, and the scholar-archeologist vibe I mentioned.

I thank you for your help in advance.

nobodez
2013-03-30, 09:43 AM
I was thinking on creating a explorer-scholar kind of character. An adventurer who would seek rare relics and forbidden texts, unearth old cities, seek legendary locations...etc., for the sake of knowledge.

Wizard/Loremaster or Archivist/Loremaster seems appropiate, but it doesn't give the "explorer" vibe I'm seeking. Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge could work too.

The Pathfinder Prestige Class seems perfect, but it's kind of weak.

So, if it where you, how would you do it? The character should start around level 5 and, if possible (probably not), go all the way up to 20 or epic. The rules would be basically 3.5 with more feats (one feat per two levels) and Pathfinder Game's skills. I'm seeking both survavility and usefulness, and the scholar-archeologist vibe I mentioned.

I thank you for your help in advance.

You have two archetypes here. You have the "scholar" and you have the "archeologist/explorer".

Those builds above (Wizard or Archivist headed for Loremaster) exemplify the "scholar" archetype, but without a lot of "archeologist/explorer".

The "archeologist/explorer" archetype is probably best exemplified with either a Ranger or a Factotum (which also gives you back a bit of the "scholar" archetype).

mattie_p
2013-03-30, 10:04 AM
Today is my day to pimp contests, it seems.

You might be looking for Aundair Yannedge-Owens (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13150945&postcount=98), (Indiana Jones) winner of Iron Chef 32, Temple Raider of Olidammara. The other entries are hyperlinked here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13150848&postcount=91).

Eman Resu
2013-03-30, 10:07 AM
Factotum, seems to fill the bill

Norin
2013-03-30, 01:32 PM
Yeah Factotum, or maybe Cloistered cleric would be neat too?

Clistenes
2013-03-30, 04:27 PM
Thank you very much for your help.

Today is my day to pimp contests, it seems.

You might be looking for Aundair Yannedge-Owens (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13150945&postcount=98), (Indiana Jones) winner of Iron Chef 32, Temple Raider of Olidammara. The other entries are hyperlinked here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13150848&postcount=91).

The build is nice, but I'm thinking on making the character rely more on spellcasting than sneak attacks. I guess I could use an Archivist/Loremaster or Wizard/Loremaster with a level of Ranger.

Factotum, seems to fill the bill

I see Factotums more like Jack of all Trades than scholars. I'm thinking of making the character a primary spellcaster.

ArcturusV
2013-03-30, 04:32 PM
I'd take the one off in Rogue rather than Ranger. Archeologist in DnD pretty much requires Trapfinding. Whereas level 1 in Ranger gives you nothing over the Rogue that fits the concept.

Crake
2013-03-30, 05:00 PM
I play a scholar/archeologist (not so much explorer in his backstory, but he's been places recently now that he's started his adventuring career) in my current game as a wizard 7/loremaster 3 with at least 5 ranks in every knowledge skill, more in some, and it fits the archetype pretty well.

Clistenes
2013-03-30, 05:05 PM
I'd take the one off in Rogue rather than Ranger. Archeologist in DnD pretty much requires Trapfinding. Whereas level 1 in Ranger gives you nothing over the Rogue that fits the concept.

Mmmm...yes. I could take a level of Wilderness Rogue for Trapfinding and take Track as a feat.
The Archivist, Loremaster and Wilderness Rogue classes would give me all the useful class skills.

I think that would cover all the character's needs. Being an Intelligence-based build and human should help me get all the skill ranks I need.