PDA

View Full Version : Xena? (3.pf)

rollforeigninit
2013-03-30, 12:30 PM
In an upcoming campaign, my wife wants to play a Barbarian based on Xena from the TV show. I didn't watch it much but she's into it so I figured I'd try it. Feats & stuff are pretty easy but I'm willing to take suggestions. It's the rage powers I'm coming up short on. What ones would you take?

My wife pretty much is set on Barbarian 20 so nothing exotic as far as multiclassing. I may be able to talk her into a PrC if it's not too complicated.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-30, 01:05 PM
I'd recommend the Bloodstaorm Blade prc, a refluffed boomerang and the Boomerang Daze feat.

Tvtyrant
2013-03-30, 01:10 PM
I'd recommend the Bloodstaorm Blade prc, a refluffed boomerang and the Boomerang Daze feat.

This would be my route. If she insists on sticking with Barbarian you are going to need Brutal Throw for Strength to Damage on a thrown weapon, and then probably stick with boomerangs and the Boomerang Daze feat.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-30, 01:15 PM
I think there is an exotic weapon called an annulat in some book or another that is like Xena's throwing disc. Pretty sure it was in Planar Handbook.

TheTick
2013-03-30, 01:40 PM
Since PF is mentioned, it should be noted that it has a chakram already statted up (that's the throwing disc).

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#martial-ranged

Jack_Simth
2013-03-30, 01:48 PM
In an upcoming campaign, my wife wants to play a Barbarian based on Xena from the TV show. I didn't watch it much but she's into it so I figured I'd try it. Feats & stuff are pretty easy but I'm willing to take suggestions. It's the rage powers I'm coming up short on. What ones would you take?

My wife pretty much is set on Barbarian 20 so nothing exotic as far as multiclassing. I may be able to talk her into a PrC if it's not too complicated.
Really? I had Xena pegged as a Swordsage, myself. Especially the paralysis touch thing that she uses to interrogate people - that'd be Hand of Death, Shadow Hand manuever, level 4, on Tome of Battle page 77. When she uses it in an actual fight to kill someone, it's more like Death in the Dark (Shadow Hand manuever, level 7, on Tome of Battle page 76).

That she's a barbarian is just the culture she came out of.

Since PF is mentioned, it should be noted that it has a chakram already statted up (that's the throwing disc).

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#martial-ranged
Hers is obviously a masterwork one, with the returning (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/returning) property, maybe the Called (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/called) property as well.

ArcturusV
2013-03-30, 01:48 PM
Well, Iconic "Xena" things you might want to think about:

A) Very Acrobatic. Xena did her fair share of things like Ladder-Fu, is always doing insane jumps/flips into/during battle, etc.

B) Is actually Mounted Combat focused, or at least had a heavy inclination towards Mounted Combat earlier in her life.

C) Leadership. She's perfectly capable of getting any gaggle of rabble to fight under her banner when she needs to, and can make them into an effective fighting force. Plus the Cohort could be the Gabriel.

D) Is used to wading into battle and purposefully taking on long odds. So the character should be focused less on single target lockdown, and more on mowing down groups. How that would work mechanically in PF I wouldn't know myself.

E) Chakram will need some house rules to make it work as it did in the source material. In the source material it could ricochet an insane number of times, and had a throwing range almost unheard of. You might want to tone it down a little bit and say something like 10 Ricochets, max. There must be one inanimate object between bounces, as it usually bounces off walls, pillars, decor, etc, and in order to return to you you need to have it "target" yourself after an inanimate object ricochet.

animewatcha
2013-03-30, 09:16 PM
Let's not forget that it later on got 'splitting' in exchange for one chakram no longer being able to kill gods. Also given some of the things that it does, it might have a version of 'dancing' to it as well.

CIDE
2013-03-30, 11:42 PM
Improved unarmed strike, superior unarmed strike. A significant portion of her fights were unarmed. Deflect arrows too as she could catch them and swat them away. Had Chi in several episodes though it never stuck around.

That said Xena DOES have her fits of rage as a barbar.

Waker
2013-03-31, 01:44 AM
I never watched the show, but based on what everyone is saying, it might be appropriate to sneak some levels of Exotic Weapon Master and Master Thrower.

Jon_Dahl
2013-03-31, 01:57 AM
I guess we should look at this from the training point of view.
Mostly Xena was self-trained but she was also taught into the arts of pressure points. However the training was so brief that it doesn't qualify her to the extensive training of monk or any other class.
I would say that she is barbarian 20 like your wife suggested. Add the feats ArcturusV suggested and it's almost done.

CIDE
2013-03-31, 02:21 AM
Warblades can also be self trained. Her "rage" is only a very small part of her repertoire comparatively. Hell, I could argue there's either a psionic template in there or a few levels of a psionic class.

Barbar doesn't cover it.

Edit:

She may also potentially have Divine Rank 0 if a few lines of dialogue are to be believed about her "true" parentage.

rollforeigninit
2013-03-31, 08:38 AM
She's pretty set on Barbarian. I agree Swordsage might work better or maybe some weird monk like prestige class or maybe just stunning fist-esque kind of feats. Still got to do her rage powers. I'm liking the acrobatics boosting one and there's one for unarmed combat too as I recall. I'm afb just now.

Daftendirekt
2013-03-31, 08:43 AM
This would be my route. If she insists on sticking with Barbarian you are going to need Brutal Throw for Strength to Damage on a thrown weapon, and then probably stick with boomerangs and the Boomerang Daze feat.

Erm, thrown weapons always get STR to damage. Brutal Throw (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/brutal-throw--278/) lets you use STR to attack rather than DEX.

If you're going to take it, also take Power Throw (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/power-throw--3329/) which lets you Power Atttack with your thrown weapons.

rollforeigninit
2013-03-31, 08:57 AM
I'm thinking power throw or deadly aim would be good. My Oracle is gonna take craft magic arms in the same campaign so I can hopefully help her with the appropriate weapons. I'm wondering if a refluffed boomerang daze might be appropriate. As she's going 2 weapon fighting she shouldn't need str to ranged attack hopefully.