PDA

View Full Version : Unfair or So fair? Immunity Community

RedDragons
2013-03-30, 05:26 PM
Okay Misleading title, has nothing to do with community.

Now that is out of the way, Do you think having monsters/characters use a general rule of, if you are immune to it, you canno't use it.

Immune to fear? You can't cast scare

Immune to acid? No acid blast for you

Immune to critical damage? You cannot give crits.

Seatbelt
2013-03-30, 05:28 PM
It doesn't make sense to me. Hey this jello monster has no anatomy, so I can't stab it in the kidneys. Lucky for me he can't hit me so hard my spleen, which I do have, ruptures.

ArcturusV
2013-03-30, 05:32 PM
Depends. I mean things like, Undead. Immune to Poison, Disease, and Crits. These are all things Undead use pretty often. Some are even Iconic like Mummy Rot. Fear is also in there as Mind-Effecting stuff. But most undead have the ability to inflict something they're immune to. Diseases, Stunning, Fear, even just simple crits.

Doing something like that would remove a lot of their iconic abilities.

Similarly take a look at something like a Pit Fiend. Immune to Fire and Darkness, but also has those effects at will. This immunity isn't because their body rejects these elements, but because these elements are an intrinsic part of the creature's make up.

It'd be like saying as a human I can't spit.

The Glyphstone
2013-03-30, 05:32 PM
So, all dragons lose their breath weapons?

Callin
2013-03-30, 05:34 PM
Or that Red Dragon who cant Breath Fire...

Silly rule honestly. Its something that takes away from the game more than adds in my opinion.

edit: Swordsaged

AmberVael
2013-03-30, 05:52 PM
Or that Red Dragon who cant Breath Fire...

This is what I thought of first, then I thought of something even more ridiculous.

Fire Elemental. :smallamused:
"Gee, I know you're made out of flame and all, but since you're immune to fire, you can't incinerate anything, sorry!"

TuggyNE
2013-03-30, 05:55 PM
I can't figure out any situation off-hand where this actually makes sense, and it's trivial to think of situations this is weird and silly, so… any particular reason you wanted this? :smallconfused:

For example, rogue with heavy fort armor? Yes, why not?
Fire elemental burning people? It's iconic!
Paladin using Intimidate? Hmm, seems reasonable, but it is cross-class.
Paladin using fear spells? OK, now we're getting somewhere, but how would they be doing this? Also, this is more an RP/code thing; I can imagine certain paladins being practical enough to go with this.
Paladin using disease? Not so much.
Bodak using death gaze? Iconic to the monster, at any rate, although it's not as well-known as fire elementals.
Gelatinous cube paralyzing people? Seems sensible.
Half-Celestial using Smite Good? Why else would it be a thing?
Monstrous spiders using webs to catch people? Well, that's what spiders kinda do.

And so on and so forth, these are just off the top of my head.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-30, 06:01 PM
Under this houserule, 8th level Rogues can't flank people, and Undead, Constructs, and Outsiders can't strangle people. Monks can't use poisons, and Iron Golems can't use their Stinking Cloud.

Unfair, unbalanced, and unreasonable.

Renen
2013-03-30, 06:35 PM
I want w/e OP is smoking :smallbiggrin:

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 06:37 PM
Nothing with darkvision gets cover from darkness!

RedDragons
2013-03-30, 06:37 PM
I smoke mummys rot

Doctor says it is incurable.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-30, 07:05 PM
I smoke mummys rot

Doctor says it is incurable.

Honestly, such a rule could, in a limited capacity, work in a different system, with a different conceptualization of immunities. Like if a fire-immunity spell instead put up a force field which fire couldn't pass through (in which case, it would make sense, since the character with an anti-fire field up simply couldn't get the fire out).

TuggyNE
2013-03-30, 07:39 PM
Oh, here's another few:
Liches using [death] effects, energy drain, ability damage, or [mind-affecting] spells.
Kolyaruts use fear, hold person, suggestion, mark of justice, geas/quest, and vampiric touch.
Any non-humanoid that can cast hold person or charm person.
Any good-aligned caster casting holy smite, holy word, dispel evil, and so on; similarly for other alignments.