PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] You've met the barbarian wizard, but how about a wizard barbarian?

Flickerdart
2013-03-30, 09:44 PM
Being a mundane sucks. Being a spellcaster rocks. But sometimes you still want to be the guy who gets really mad and smashes jaws with a big stick, or want to send an NPC like that against your uppity T1 party. ToB does help with that, but simply for the sake of evil opposites, I dedicate this thread to wizards that pretend they are barbarians/fighters/what have you. Not just gishes, but people that, if not for the babbling and finger-waving, would pass for regular warriors.

When asked "did you cast true strike" they will reply "of course not, I just focused my power into one powerful blow!". When accused of casting bull's strength they yell something incoherent about their berserker rage before clobbering you in the face with their thunderlance +1 shock lance.

What are some other ways that you can use spells to passably imitate the combat options of mundane melee?

Bovine Colonel
2013-03-30, 09:45 PM
Tenser's Transformation comes to mind.

ArcturusV
2013-03-30, 09:49 PM
Cause Fear an Intimidating Rage. Launch Bolt as Improvised Thrown Weapon Proficiency.

Karnith
2013-03-30, 09:53 PM
Mage Armor in place of regular armor. Bonus points if he never understands why other people can't use it and gets mad about it.

LTwerewolf
2013-03-30, 09:55 PM
Had a guy in one of my campaigns that liked to polymorph into a bear and call himself a bear warrior. He also uses the rage spell and many buff spells.

Doorhandle
2013-03-30, 11:25 PM
Have him use telekinesis as a touch spell.
When people ask how he managed to launch 15 gargantuan bolts as once, have him respond "I PICKED IT UP WITH MY MUSCLES."

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-31, 12:02 AM
Pathfinder sorcerers with either the Orc or Abyssal bloodlines get a +6 inherent bonus to strength by 17th level. I was actually working on a build for a sorcerer entirely dedicated to capping out strength.

avr
2013-03-31, 12:07 AM
Grease = disarm. More for a wizard fighter perhaps. Dispel Magic for Iron Heart Surge, which would be a barbarian feature if it had been printed when the barbarian was.

Doorhandle
2013-03-31, 12:15 AM
Pathfinder sorcerers with either the Orc or Abyssal bloodlines get a +6 inherent bonus to strength by 17th level. I was actually working on a build for a sorcerer entirely dedicated to capping out strength.

a(buse) eldritch heritage, acquire BOTH.

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-31, 12:19 AM
a(buse) eldritch heritage, acquire BOTH.

Inherent bonuses don't stack. I checked. And with the sorcerer's Alternate Class Feature: Dual Bloodline, you don't need to waste feats on it.

However, the Dragon Disciple's +4 to strength at 4th level DOES stack :smallamused:

An Orc Sorcerer with the Orc Bloodline can get a 22 starting strength (18 + 4) in a 25 point buy. He gets +5 from level ups (4,8,12,16,20) for 27 STR. +6 Inherent Strength bonus from his bloodline for 33 STR. With a +6 belt that goes up to 39 STR. With a boost from Giant Form II he can get another +8 (and Huge Size) for 47. Dragon Disciple gives an Untyped bonus of +4 at 4th level for 51 STR. The spell Blood Rage (3rd Level) gives a total of +10 STR as a morale bonus for a total of 61. A Cleric or Paladin can cast Eaglesoul on you for a +4 sacred bonus to STR bringing us up to65. With the help of a Succubus you've conjured, you can get a +2 profane bonus to your STR (there's probably a higher one out there you can get) bringing us to 67.

There might be a way for the Alchemist to share his mutagen with you which could give you up to a +8 bonust to strength, but I can't find it.

So... 67 strength on a Sorcerer. Eat your heart out barbarians :smallamused:

kardar233
2013-03-31, 06:21 AM
This calls for Persistomancy.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-31, 07:32 AM
knock: I am so intimidating that inanimate objects do what I tell them to do.

jump: those jump-squats I've been doing are really paying off

expeditious retreat: all barbs are fast, didn't you know that?

haste: I've mastered the art of the whirling frenzy

stoneskin: I BLOCK IT WITH MY CHEST MUSCLES!

mirror image: I hit you so hard you're seeing....5 of me

phantasmal killer: he was thinking of fighting me, and naturally died of fright

fear: I am Never Outnumbered

foresight: a barbarian's senses are uncanny, allowing me to dodge

suggestion: pretty simple really; do what I say or the ax starts talking

CockroachTeaParty
2013-03-31, 08:38 AM
Inherent bonuses don't stack. I checked. And with the sorcerer's Alternate Class Feature: Dual Bloodline, you don't need to waste feats on it.

However, the Dragon Disciple's +4 to strength at 4th level DOES stack :smallamused:

An Orc Sorcerer with the Orc Bloodline can get a 22 starting strength (18 + 4) in a 25 point buy. He gets +5 from level ups (4,8,12,16,20) for 27 STR. +6 Inherent Strength bonus from his bloodline for 33 STR. With a +6 belt that goes up to 39 STR. With a boost from Giant Form II he can get another +8 (and Huge Size) for 47. Dragon Disciple gives an Untyped bonus of +4 at 4th level for 51 STR. The spell Blood Rage (3rd Level) gives a total of +10 STR as a morale bonus for a total of 61. A Cleric or Paladin can cast Eaglesoul on you for a +4 sacred bonus to STR bringing us up to65. With the help of a Succubus you've conjured, you can get a +2 profane bonus to your STR (there's probably a higher one out there you can get) bringing us to 67.

There might be a way for the Alchemist to share his mutagen with you which could give you up to a +8 bonust to strength, but I can't find it.

So... 67 strength on a Sorcerer. Eat your heart out barbarians :smallamused:

Hate to burst your bubble, but you have to be a Draconic bloodline sorcerer to qualify for Dragon Disciple. So that's more like a 63 Strength.

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-31, 09:46 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but you have to be a Draconic bloodline sorcerer to qualify for Dragon Disciple. So that's more like a 63 Strength.

Cross blooded orc/ draconic would count then. And it'd be 66 strength then because you could spring for 5 wishes to boost your strength by +5 inherent. (67-6+5=66). Still effectively the same.

Runestar
2013-03-31, 10:08 AM
Wasn't there some build for a wizard grappler? :smallconfused:

Analytica
2013-03-31, 10:08 AM
There's also the PF witch archetype for half-orcs which casts off CON...

SiuiS
2013-03-31, 10:13 AM
This is basically what psionics does. Throw in a level of an actual fightan class for proficiency and go to town.

Analytica
2013-03-31, 10:25 AM
This is basically what psionics does. Throw in a level of an actual fightan class for proficiency and go to town.

In particular, Control Body on yourself lets you fight using your Int to hit, damage and AC, instead of the regular ability bonuses. You could be a supremely intelligent being, but since you always walk around in a self-possessed trance state, you still come across as a dumb brute...

Slipperychicken
2013-03-31, 10:47 AM
Talk in an incredibly simplistic manner: "THOG NOT PREPARE SPELLS!! THOG HAVE STRONG MAN SLEEP FOR BIG RAGE. BOOK NOT SPELLBOOK. IT IS... uhh NOT IMPORTANT!"

Verbal components = "Prayer to big Chaos god. Speak in stupid Chaos language".

Take Eidetic Spellcaster and Eschew Materials.

Use a tattoo spellbook and say you're a Runescarred Berserker.

Start screaming a lot whenever you get into a fight.

Analytica
2013-03-31, 11:26 AM
Calling Your Attacks for verbal component. E.g. "SKULLCRUSHING... PUNCH!". Somatic components look like weapon swings and athletic moves, ASF is why you wear only the appropriate barbarian loincloth and/or chainmail/fur bikini.