PDA

View Full Version : (3.X) (Spell) Well, it was requested (PEACH)

DracoDei
2013-03-30, 10:18 PM
A while back I did some SLIGHTLY silly spells based around a demotivator, and Detect Evil/Chaos/Good/Law. While it is not necessary to be familiar with those spells, they can be found HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206718). That thread is also where the request happened.

Three things I especially need help with:

Because this is so odd, I am uncertain on the balance for these, I nerfed the damage slightly because magic is more tricky to hide than an alignment. I didn't nerf it MUCH because PCs aren't going to want to use this since it wreck's treasures, and besides which, getting within 60' of an enemy is at least slightly less tenable for a wizard or sorcerer than it is for a cleric. EDIT: Actually, given the fact it lacks Identify Friend Foe, I think I may need to bump it back up to 4d6/5d6/6d6.
The word "Rubble" probably should be changed to a more evocative word or phrase, but I can't come up with anything.
The material components could perhaps be more flavorful.

Detect Magic and Turn It to Rubble, Lesser
Divination/Evocation [Acid, Sonic]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Full Round
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
Spell Resistance: Yes
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling arcane power that it requires, it is useful for locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, as well as for wrecking their equipment.
When cast each object or creature (not area) that would register under Detect Magic (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range, OTHER than yourself and your attended objects, is targeted by 1 foot radius burst of destructive energy. Creatures with detectable spells on them or attending one or more magic items are targeted* in lieu of their items (but see below). This spell deals 3d6 damage, half the damage is acid damage and half sonic. Any failure of the reflex save by the attending creature (if any) endangers a magic item as if a natural 1 had been rolled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#itemsSurvivingafteraSavingTh row). If an actual natural 1 is rolled, then the GM should select the item of ALL the magic items attended by that creature that (s)he believes would be most detrimental to the victim to have targeted rather than rolling randomly among the four most exposed items.
*Clarification: A single attack on the creature for 4d6 damage replaces ALL the targeting that the spell would otherwise produce on their effects and maigc items.
Focus: A magical piece of ammunition with at least a +2 permanent enhancement bonus.

Detect Magic and Turn It To Rubble
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Range: 60 Feet
Area of Effect: 60 Foot Cone
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute/level
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling arcane power that it requires, it is useful for three general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, taking a purposeful march through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them fry, and for wrecking their equipment.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each object or creature that would register under Detect Magic (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range, OTHER than yourself and your attended objects, is targeted by 1 foot radius burst of destructive energy. Creatures with detectable spells on them or attending one or more magic items are targeted* in lieu of their items (but see below). This spell deals 4d6 damage, half the damage is acid damage and half sonic. Any failure of the reflex save by the attending creature (if any) endangers a magic item as if a natural 1 had been rolled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#itemsSurvivingafteraSavingTh row). If an actual natural 1 is rolled, then the GM should select the item of ALL the magic items attended by that creature that (s)he believes would be most detrimental to the victim to have targeted rather than rolling randomly among the four most exposed items.
*Clarification: A single attack on the creature for 5d6 damage replaces ALL the targeting that the spell would otherwise produce on their effects and maigc items that round.
Focus: A magical piece of ammunition with at least a +3 permanent enhancement bonus.

Detect Magic and Turn It To Rubble, Greater
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Duration: 1 minute/level(D)
While the damage from this spell is relatively minimal for the amount of skill at channeling arcane power that it requires, it is useful for three general categories of things: Locating targets for more serious efforts at eradication, taking a pleasant stroll through hordes of lesser foes, just to watch them fry, and for wrecking their equipment.
Each round that this spell is active, at the end of your turn, each object or creature that would register under Detect Magic (ignoring the rounds of concentration required) that is within range, OTHER than yourself and your attended objects, is targeted by 1 foot radius burst of destructive energy. Creatures with detectable spells on them or attending one or more magic items are targeted in lieu of their items (but see below). This spell deals 5d6 damage, half the damage is acid damage and half sonic. Any failure of the reflex save by the attending creature (if any) endangers a magic item as if a natural 1 had been rolled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#itemsSurvivingafteraSavingTh row). If an actual natural 1 is rolled, then the GM should select the item of ALL the magic items attended by that creature that (s)he believes would be most detrimental to the victim to have targeted rather than rolling randomly among the four most exposed items.
*Clarification: A single attack on the creature for 6d6 damage replaces ALL the targeting that the spell would otherwise produce on their effects and maigc items that round.
Focus: A magical piece of ammunition with at least a +5 permanent enhancement bonus.

((EDIT 2023: Make it the item with the highest GP cost (or caster level then go cost?) rather than "most.detrimental" to remove ambiguity and increase suspension of disdisbelief?))

Debihuman
2013-03-30, 11:07 PM
First, I think it should be "Rubble" rather than "Rumble."

The area of effect seems to be missing from the 1st and 3rd spells.

It seems like they should all have

Area: Cone-shaped emanation

lieu.

Why are limiting the number of exposed items to four? It sound like it should read:

"If an actual natural 1 is rolled, then the GM should select the item that would be most detrimental to the victim to be targeted."

Debby

DracoDei
2013-03-30, 11:40 PM
First, I think it should be "Rubble" rather than "Rumble."
Drat... will fix.

The area of effect seems to be missing from the 1st and 3rd spells.
Huh, nobody complained about the original versions. I may edit that in.

It seems like they should all have

Area: Cone-shaped emanation
The 1st and 3rd are full-circle... which means that the 2nd one may not have IFF as a drawback now that I think of it.

lieu.
I knew I might have problems with editing, but would not have anticipated the form.

Why are limiting the number of exposed items to four? It sound like it should read:

"If an actual natural 1 is rolled, then the GM should select the item that would be most detrimental to the victim to be targeted."

Debby
You mis-read. It is specifically NOT limited to the four most exposed like normally happens with natural 1's on saving throws.