PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Other eldion uses

Doorhandle
2013-03-30, 11:41 PM
I've been toying with the idea of making a master summoner, and I'm trying to think of what to do with my eildon, as after level 1, it will have advance half as fast as a normal one.

This means it will not be the unstoppable rage-beast it would be with a normal summoner, and so I need an alternate use for it's powers.

1. I could make it an uber-mount, allowing it to carry me around at ludicrous speed, and save me a mint on fly spells, to say nothing of abusing mounted combat so that they can't knock me off easily.
However, I would rather not be small-sized, although that's basically a requirement for mounted characters. Also, their is no information on weather I can ride it while it's burrowing or swimming.

2. I could make it a "radar system:" Giving it all the alternate senses (scent, ex.) and racial bonuses to perception and sense motive, to say nothing of handing me things/throwing flasks. However, it would be harder to keep around/safe as I can't just carry it around like a familiar, and an eldion's bonuses to intelligence/wisdom are pretty abysmal compare to it's strength.

What would you recommend?

avr
2013-03-30, 11:51 PM
You don't really care about keeping it safe, so go with 2. If it dies you summon it back the next day.

GoatBoy
2013-03-31, 06:38 AM
Since PF got rid of the severe penalties for cross-class skills, you can give your eidolon ranks in Perception, Stealth, and Disable Device, plus the +8 bonus for the "skilled" evolution, and have a great scout/trapmonkey.

In fact, eidolons can excel at just about any skill. The +3 they get for having it as a class skill is just gravy.

Blyte
2013-03-31, 03:44 PM
I'm planning a master summoner as well. I am going to use him as a hard to hit body guard. Shield proficiency, mage armor, as many improved armors as I can and fuel him with my hp if he is mitigating damage well enough (supplimenting that with wand of infernal healing on both of us). Then I just plan to summon monsters to provide flanks and do most of the damage. If he dies its ok I will resummon tomorrow. Just remember your summons last for minutes, so use them to keep pushing the pace to the next rooms and your eidolon as your rear guard until it looks like summons may fall.

Another option I considered was taking the regular summoner and trait magical lineage (summon eidolon) and extend spell. That way at level 4 I can get 8 minute casts of summon eidolon, with augment summon he will be even more of a beast since its a summon spell. This should allow you to have your summon monster class feature and eidolon out at the same time.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-03-31, 05:06 PM
I'd go for some combination of the "skilled eidolon" and "radar system" ideas, with the added suggestion of one of the skills being UMD. One doesn't need all of the alternate senses, by any means, but having a stealthy, wand-using scout is absolutely brutal.

Prime32
2013-03-31, 07:12 PM
You could ask about combining it with the Synthesist archetype and turning your eidolon into power armour.

Dissonance
2013-03-31, 08:37 PM
seriously, go for the skillmonkey idea. Your eidolon can make a better skillmonkey than a rogue or bard because of the skilled evolution. not to mention all the free senses and flight it gets. Your summons will pull the weight in combat.

Pro tip of the day: summoning while invisible doesn't break invisibility :smallamused:

Blyte
2013-04-01, 12:12 PM
If you go with the skill eidolon you might do the first worlder + master summoner... The fey eidolon has UMD on their skill list, and would make a damn good wand wielder.

grarrrg
2013-04-01, 09:49 PM
seriously, go for the skillmonkey idea. Your eidolon can make a better skillmonkey than a rogue or bard because of the skilled evolution.

At low levels, yes, the Eidolon will be the better Skill Monkey, as the +8 from Skilled Evolution is a MASSIVE bonus.
But a Master Summoner's Eidolon levels at half speed, and it's HD are only 3/4 speed on top of that (skill ranks limited by HD of Eidolon), so a Rogue will fairly quickly surpass whatever the Eidolon is doing.

If you go with the skill eidolon you might do the first worlder + master summoner... The fey eidolon has UMD on their skill list, and would make a damn good wand wielder.

That would be a bad idea for 2 reasons.
#1 First Worlder Eidolon only gets 1/2 Bab and has d6HD, combine that with the 1/2 level from Master Summoner, and you have a VERY squishy, VERY low Bab Eidolon.
#2 Eidolons already have access to UMD:
"In addition, at 1st level, the summoner can choose 4 additional skills to be class skills for his Eidolon."

Slipperychicken
2013-04-01, 10:11 PM
I played a Master Summoner up to level 5, and I pretty much forgot about the Eidolon after 2nd level (my poor DM even had a cool personality for it :smallfrown:). I used about 2 Summon Monsters per fight. We sort of followed the average of ~4 encounters per day, and the 5+Cha summons were more than enough.

Side note: Water elementals are amazing for putting out the fires your party will inevitably cause, and apparently dispel magical fires (you would never intuit that without reading the statblock).