PDA

View Full Version : Creating a bite weapon

Nornalhorst
2013-03-31, 04:50 AM
I was wondering would it be possible using D&Ds rules to create razorsharp teeth to be placed in a character's mouth to be used as a bite weapon?

I was thinking of using weaponsmithing to create some teeth for my character so I can gain an additional natural weapon.

Darrin
2013-03-31, 06:18 AM
Fanged Mask? (8300 GP, Magic Item Compendium)

Nornalhorst
2013-03-31, 03:47 PM
Fanged Mask? (8300 GP, Magic Item Compendium)

I was thinking of something simpler, nothing magic, just razor sharp teeth perhaps even surgically installed into someone's mouth.

gurgleflep
2013-03-31, 03:53 PM
I know there's capsules you can put in your mouth that look like teeth that you can use for various poisons and potions, so I don't see why not.

Jaw of Wolven Biting is a name you could call it... depending on personal preferences, it could be lion, tiger, bear.... Oh my! There's so many things you could do with it!
Edit: For damage, just use whichever animal's bite you're going with.... within reason.

Zombimode
2013-03-31, 04:35 PM
I was thinking of something simpler, nothing magic, just razor sharp teeth perhaps even surgically installed into someone's mouth.

Then your search may turn empty. The point is: extra attacks are kind of a big deal for melee characters in D&D. If it would be cheap and easy to get an extra bite attack, you would risk that every melee character would run around with one.

If you want a bite attack, pay the price for a magic item or graft, or play a race that gets one naturally.

Flickerdart
2013-03-31, 04:41 PM
Reflavouring a braid blade is probably your best bet.

Having said that, simply giving a person sharp teeth won't make them have a bite attack. Go get into a fistfight and then try to bite your foe. It's really hard unless you're in a grapple, because your face has very limited reach and your jaws are very small.

Nornalhorst
2013-03-31, 05:33 PM
honestly I just wanted a bite attack so I can cast a spell I have that can be used in place of a natural weapon.

Since I'm using a morningstar and a shield I don't think I'll have a freehand for casting the spell or am I wrong?

Flickerdart
2013-03-31, 05:37 PM
Well, there's always Willing Deformity and then Deformity (Teeth), but the price of an Evil alignment and two feats may be too much to pay.

TaiLiu
2013-03-31, 06:26 PM
You could dip a level of Cleric and take the Hunger domain. That grants you a bite attack.

Greenish
2013-03-31, 07:33 PM
I was wondering would it be possible using D&Ds rules to create razorsharp teeth to be placed in a character's mouth to be used as a bite weapon?

I was thinking of using weaponsmithing to create some teeth for my character so I can gain an additional natural weapon.Do you want to set a precedent on how you can use manufactured weapons as natural weapons? Because the two follow quite different rules.

Nornalhorst
2013-03-31, 08:05 PM
One question I had is before I even ask the DM about installing a new set of teeth/jaw is that if you're a lich and you are using a shield plus a weapon could you still use your touch attack, making installing steel jaws unnecessary for casting the touch attack?

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-01, 07:17 AM
If I DM'd this I would say that humans are just not built to haul out and bite someone. Sure I would let a person bite, but as a grapple attack. I would treat it as an unarmed strike (a natural attack) and the teeth would act as spiked gauntlets, turning the attack lethal.

For more you would have to go into magic.

Or you could just get a monks belt for unarmed strikes and kick people.

Coidzor
2013-04-02, 11:22 PM
honestly I just wanted a bite attack so I can cast a spell I have that can be used in place of a natural weapon.

Since I'm using a morningstar and a shield I don't think I'll have a freehand for casting the spell or am I wrong?

Depends on the shield, as I recall. I think you can get away with it with bucklers and light shields but not heavy shields.

A Lich should probably be using the shield spell for AC and a buckler or dastana or something if it really wants shield properties though.

Traab
2013-04-02, 11:39 PM
I know there's capsules you can put in your mouth that look like teeth that you can use for various poisons and potions, so I don't see why not.

Jaw of Wolven Biting is a name you could call it... depending on personal preferences, it could be lion, tiger, bear.... Oh my! There's so many things you could do with it!
Edit: For damage, just use whichever animal's bite you're going with.... within reason.

I dont think that would work. Human jaws arent as strong as pretty much any animals jaws that you could think of with an effective bite attack. The average human bites with a pressure of about 120 pounds. The average for dogs? 320. Sharks? 600. Snapping turtles hit the 1k mark, and crocs can go as high as 2500.

So while wearing metal jaws would let you do extra damage with a bite, it still likely wouldnt compare to most of the animal kingdom.

Person_Man
2013-04-03, 09:03 AM
+1 on reflavored/reslotted Braid Blade.

And there are a number of different grafts that add other attacks for a relatively cheap price (and hit point penalty). Mighty Arms construct graft (Faiths of Eberron) gives you a slam attack as per a construct of your size for just -2 hit points and 1,000 gp. And Poison Fangs yuan-ti graft (Serpent Kingdoms) adds a strong poison to any existing bite attack for just 8,000 gp. There's also the Deformity (Teeth) Feat (which requires Willing Deformity as a pre-req), or various Shape Soulmeld/Open Chakra options.

dysprosium
2013-04-03, 10:56 AM
the Draconomicon also has a mechanical jaw device that can be inserted into a dragon's mouth to increase its bite damage.

whether that could be useful for a human is another story