PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Monk: Legitimate spellcasting monk?

THAD
2013-03-31, 05:40 AM
Firstly, I'm not an experienced player, but have a "decent" working knowledge of the system and have been attempting on and off to play a game long distance with my brothers over the past year or two. The setting is 3.5 rules with several options eliminated by the DM (hates paladins and clerics, and only allowing for humans, half-elves, elves, dwarves, halflings for PCs).

I realize that the DM ultimately has the say-so, but wanted to get some opinions before attempting to persuade him to accept. I've noticed that there're a lot of opinions that give good arguments for why monks and sorcerers aren't nearly as strong mechanically as fighters/barbarians and wizards respectively, but these classes appeal to me with regards to the roleplaying portion, as well as possibilities for story progression. I saw an "Arcane Monk" build that essentially combines the monk and sorcerer into a single class, progressing as Monk with sorcerer spell abilities, allowing for what seems to me as a competent class that isn't overpowered. Essentially I'm trying to build a character that is a party face, with magic, that isn't a total weakling. Definitely not a primary striker or tank. I know much of this sounds like a bard, but there are only two PC's, so not really anyone else to support without requiring the DM to force a bunch of NPCs in the party. The other member is deadset on a ranger, druid, or rogue, so trying to get creative to avoid a stereotypical rogue/fighter 80s comedy duo. Thanks in advance for the input!

Waker
2013-03-31, 06:06 AM
Are you asking for specific build advice or more general type stuff? Also knowing what resources you have available would help.
Anyways, I would suggest taking the Ascetic Mage feat from Complete Adventurer, as well as Force of Personality. Two classes that can work well for your goal are Enlightened Fist (CArc) and the Swiftblade which can be found on the Wizard's website.
Be warned that now you will get about 20 or so people saying take Swordsage in place of Monk and go with the Jade Phoenix Mage, both from the Tome of Battle.

Psyren
2013-03-31, 06:21 AM
As stated, your best bet is indeed Unarmed Swordsage + Sorcerer into Jade Phoenix Mage, with a decent secondary choice being Monk + Sorcerer with Ascetic Mage into Enlightened Fist. With your available race choices, human is going to be your best bet either way.

How do your brothers feel about psionics? That's another fun and powerful option for a caster monk.

Waker
2013-03-31, 06:30 AM
Indeed, psionics would be another highly effective route to be a monkish character with magic. The simplest option is to take a few levels in monk , grab the tashalatora feat and then focus entirely on psychic warrior. The feat progresses the monk unarmed damage, flurry and ac bonus. It can be found in Secrets of Sarlona.
Dipping into Incarnate or Totemist from Magic of Incarnum is always an option too, greatly expanding on character choices.
Of course the first people to answer in your thread are the psionic and incarnum fanboys.

Psyren
2013-03-31, 06:34 AM
Hey! I'm not a fanboy!

...Well, only a little :smalltongue:

Waker
2013-03-31, 06:45 AM
Hey! I'm not a fanboy!

...Well, only a little :smalltongue:

Nothing wrong with liking a well-thought out system, far more elegant than Vancian casting *shudder*. But I digress, those are some of the general ideas for a magic monk. There are a few more choices available to choose from. Battle Dancer from Dragon Compendium has a lot in common with the monk class, but is charisma focused rather than wisdom. There is also a wildshape monk variant from Dragon magazine, though that seems a bit further afield than what you asked for.

THAD
2013-03-31, 06:46 AM
We're very casual players to put it nicely, you'd be pretty accurate to go so far as lazy. Essentially I'm looking for general advice on what's out there and different ways to skin this cat. I'm pretty good with spinning the reasons for why the character is the way he his, but self-admittedly I have a big tendency to be overly specific in what i'm having my character do and over-analyze every situation to the point where we only progress a game 2-4 hours game time in a matter of 6 hours real time since I'm so worried about my own typically weak builds trying to do too much with a character or not understanding the best way to put my thoughts on a character sheet. As far as sources, all I have is the basic core book, plus whatever I find online, but his philosophy is using the PHB as a starting reference, and as long as it's reasonable and the mechanics don't get messed up, it's fair game. The intent is to stay as close to core rules as possible, and none of us are smart on psionics, so I'd say that's a bust.

Kaeso
2013-03-31, 06:56 AM
I've noticed that there're a lot of opinions that give good arguments for why monks and sorcerers aren't nearly as strong mechanically as fighters/barbarians and wizards respectively, but these classes appeal to me with regards to the roleplaying portion, as well as possibilities for story progression. I saw an "Arcane Monk" build that essentially combines the monk and sorcerer into a single class, progressing as Monk with sorcerer spell abilities, allowing for what seems to me as a competent class that isn't overpowered. Essentially I'm trying to build a character that is a party face, with magic, that isn't a total weakling. Definitely not a primary striker or tank.

The Enlightened Fist prestige class is exactly what you're looking for. It continues sorcerer spell progression for the most part, has monk-like increase in unarmed damage hit dice and give you a few cool abilities (such as being able to deliver touch attacks as part of an unarmed attack).

Combine this with the feat Ascetic Mage, which allows you to use cha instead of wis for all related monk abilities (including extra AC) and you're done. You're now more than a monk can ever dream of being and a pretty decent gish. Pick a few self buffs (mage armor, anyone?), a few good touch attack damage spells, a few rays/distance spells and some generally useful spells and you're done like dinner.