PDA

View Full Version : help building a support character

hirojinbrodie
2013-03-31, 07:58 AM
Classically I tend to play rather charismatic characters, and tend to take up a large amount of attention in campaigns. I want to change that. The group I play with has begun to stagnate, and after a long discussion among the individual members about the issues, it became clear to me that I need to let someone else take the lime light.
I know it may go against what most people wish to do in a campaign, but I need ways to build a background character, one I enjoy playing, but which allows for others to get their role play on.

So in summery
-which classes support this low impact approach?
-what back stories/ mentalities support this?
-general advice in playing such a role.

Socratov
2013-03-31, 10:07 AM
Well, the question is, what is it exactly you want to do?

even a supportfocused bard can take a lot of limelight.

If you care about carrying the party in terms of combat (damage and utility), then a supportrole like a DFI/SC/Healing Hymn bard can make you shine in quite another way.

so, stock build:

CG silverbrow human Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/virtuoso 8

Feats: Dragon fire Inspiration
words of Creation

ACF:

Healing Hymn in place of fascination
Song of the Heart in place of suggestion

choices:

Lingering song//Melodic casting ==> one allows to do anything while the song lingers on for 5 more rounds (including casting spells), the other allows you to maintain the song and cast the spell simultaneously. Pick whatever you like here

Bardic Music//Bardic knack ==> random knowledge equal to your classlevel or half that in skillranks in every skill out there. Find out what your skillmonkey wants and how to divide the specializations.

Use perform(wind instrument) witha masterwork Horn and badges of valor going for lots of of to-hit bonus translating into DFI. Next play the song increasing casterlevels for casters.

For the rest pick your requirements and the rest to taste optimizing whatever you want.

so, now you boost casters, martial characters and the icing on the cake is that you are a healer as well helping with spells and healing hymn doubling your effort in healing them.

Hope this helps.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-31, 11:30 AM
Make a Batman Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002), and play him as a matter-of-fact intellectual like Spock or Data from Star Trek. Probably use Grey Elf, specialized in either Conjuration or Transmutation. Trade your familiar for the PH2 ACF for whichever specialization you pick, Conjuration's is definitely stronger. Get the feat Obtain Familiar, get a hummingbird familiar (Dragon mag, thrush stats in the DMG, gives +4 initiative), and use the Elf Wizard 3 substitution level in RotW to double the bonus it gives you. Use this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) to get Improved Initiative instead of Scribe Scroll. Cast a strong crowd control like Web, Glitterdust, etc. at the start of every fight, since you'll have +12 initiative without even counting Dex or Nerveskitter.

I'd get Spell Focus: Transmutation and Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium (makes any transmutation you cast that increases an ability score give an extra +2). Get one of the ACFs in CC at Wizard 5, either Spontaneous Divination or a domain power (Planning gives Extend Spell, Inquisition gives +4 to dispel checks). Grab War Weaver in Heroes of Battle asap, and use it to put buffs on your whole party at once. Animalistic Power from PH2 gives a +2 to Str, Dex, and Con, which goes up to +4 to each with Ability Enhancer, and you can put it on the whole party at once with War Weaver. After War Weaver pick a strong ten-level prestige class that gives full casting, such as Divine Oracle, Sacred Exorcist, or even Incantatrix.

hirojinbrodie
2013-03-31, 11:51 AM
I suppose I should be more specific, though the suggestions so far do help. Most of my character concepts have overwhelmed other players in the group both in terms of roleplay and presence. People tend to fall into the background because my characters tend to take up most of the attention. For example, and this is likely my worst offense, I was playing a bard, who was a warforged scout, who looked like a small boy. He also thought he was a small boy. I do not misrepresent when I say that 90% of the conflict and dramatic action in the story centered around this character. It became the Aaron show, and provided little in the way of opportunity for others to shine. Did people have a good time? Yes. But I think the other people should have had more of a chance to impact the actions of the story.
I am naturally drawn to attention, and always want to be in the thick of things, but people complain that I tend to block them out, and the action tends to revolve around me, even when they try to get involved.
So what I need are some concepts that restrict my need for roleplay, but give me enough enjoyment to still have a good time. Free up the dm to explore other players.
I have considered a silent ninja, or some straight and narrow fighter class, but again this is very unfamiliar territory for me.

Waker
2013-03-31, 12:01 PM
Mechanically, almost nothing that we say prevents being the center of attention in rp. One of the only exceptions I can think of is to play a character who doesn't speak. An example of this is the Buommans race from the Planar Handbook. Take Biffoniacus's advice on the War Weaver, it is an excellent PrC for support.

Mongrel
2013-03-31, 12:43 PM
Well I don't know about what class you should play, but if you want the other characters involved why don't you just make them part of your character's story? Maybe they grew up with you, or had the same mentor, or are your rival or something. If you're really into roleplaying I'm sure you can figure something out. Talk to the other players, see if they have any ideas. If you weave them into the story then it will be less likely to be all about your character, especially if the DM makes an effort to this end.

Actually, what are the backstories of your fellow players like? It sounds like they probably put a lot less work into their characters' personalities than you do. Maybe you can help them with that?