PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Practical Planar Binding - am I abusing it, or am I just being screwed?

Sudain
2013-03-31, 11:15 AM
So I tried using planar binding, lesser last time and it didn't exactly smoothly.

Before the session I mentioned I'd be getting this ability, and asked questions about how it'd interact with various spells and different tasks, including Geas for about an hour and a half(MTG was involved at this point so this may have been a distraction).

The session:
We go back to base and find it besieged by some raiders. We get ambushed (again, being ambushed and Spell Resistance are a common occurring themes in this campaign) and beat off the raiders. After that I decide I'm going to use my new found planar binding powers to setup an early warning. The binding: bind an air elemental and have it fly around the base and if it sees someone who doesn't belong, go ring the wind chime and don't stop until they are gone. Idea being an early warning system for those in the base saying, who got holed up by those raiders anyway. Using a rod of extend to make the binding 18 days. DM decides the max bonus(+6) is appropriate. His reasoning: "How would you feel if you were plucked to the plane of shadow and told to watch are area and if you see someone ring a bell?" We were able to talk to him and have him also include the nature of the task in his assessment(Not in harms way, do an easy task, and the task doesn't violate it's alignment/purpose) instead of, did I barter or offer it a bribe?

I tried this binding because it's related to an issue that we kind of had with the base(which was only included for a person in the Campaign who has yet to join us(other separate issue)). So I don't feel that this is breaking the campaign in anyway - it's an early warning system with a duration, for people who most likely won't be able to do anything, in a fort that doesn't matter at the moment. So the intent should be benign enough I thought. o.O

Binding 2:
We go out adventuring in the Sandstorm again. Upon arriving at a location, I bind a lesser xorn to "stay close, keep out of combat, and if it senses anyone who's not the party pop up and alert us. In return he can eat any precious metals in the ground he finds." He alerts us to one monster and goes poof. I can see that I didn't specify for the duration of the spell. Intent: Trying to solve the issue of we continually get ambushed from below ground.

Binding 3:
Use planar binding to being a Bralani to guard a tower and talk with semi-friendly ghosts for a year(not expecting much at this point because they are chaotic). We destroyed the guardian to their tower so I didn't want to leave it entirely unguarded but at the same time I didn't want to bind an evil creature. The Braliani nicely said no thanks(All I did was ask to listen and if he chose stay) and the DM rewarded me with an action point for role playing and trying to help someone not me.

I'm a little frustrated in that I keep being subverted at every step. If this was what the DM was going to do I wish he would've told me before I learned the spell during the session. I wish he would've told me AT character creation. I wish I would've gotten a straight answer about how Geas and Planar Binding interact(If geased I'm guessing they can throw the binding compulsion check and just be compelled). I would like to stay away from ironclad legalize binding agreements(wish style) and just keep it simple and to the intent. I'm trying to believe in the gentlemen agreement and have still have effects on the world without overshadowing the party. The DM has mentioned several times that if I keep binding lesser demons and devils their higher ups will notice and come deal with me. I have dismissal(and then later banishment) prepared daily, but I am not sure if that will be enough.

Some things I'd like to do if given free reign, Bind a fire elemental and have it run through the desert screaming, "I'm on fire!", Bind a fire elemental and have it act as a fireplace or a campfire for a night or two. Bind a xill and have it implant parasites in people who have ticked us off but we can't won't say around. Bind creature with tracking and have it track someone down. Bind an outsider and have it stick around in location as a guardian. Bind a Vargouille and have it start a kissing booth. I want to bind a Pitfiend and have it act as messenger. I want to bind a bunch of vrocks and have them demolish enemy bases. I want to do things that can act as a seed for other characters later on. Example: "I decided to become a cleric after one getting over the Vargouille disease. How I got it..." I want to do these things but I don't want to make the other players feel useless(keeping bindings out of combat)

I know I'm playing with a spell that can be used to break games and so I'm trying to use it carefully while still building an IG reputation(Character has delusions of grandeur and wants to build an empire in his image - though is old enough(50) to realize he's not cut out to be an emperor. So wants to hide behind his bindings while building a reputation).

TL;DR: I am seeing the signs I might as well throw this build away(Bindings being difficult and subverted at every step, and threats of retribution), even though I'm trying to abide by a gentlemen agreement.

What are your thoughts?

Karnith
2013-03-31, 11:26 AM
You mentioned a few times that you're trying to keep to a gentleman's agreement with your use of planar binding. Have you clearly discussed with your DM what you do and don't intend to do with your bindings (i.e. specified the terms of the agreement)? He could be afraid of you doing some scary things with bindings, and assuring him that you aren't going to even try them could go a long way to getting him comfortable with your character. Because those are about the tamest uses of Planar Binding I've seen in a game, and if your DM is balking at them and threatening you with infernal retribution, there's probably not much of a point to continuing.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-31, 12:29 PM
Seems like your DM has very different view of how this should work... talk to him(her? it?) about it. Then decide if you want to play the character with binding as it is.

As it sounds - you're screwed if you try to play nice but most broken tricks will work just fine.

Sudain
2013-04-01, 12:07 AM
You mentioned a few times that you're trying to keep to a gentleman's agreement with your use of planar binding. Have you clearly discussed with your DM what you do and don't intend to do with your bindings (i.e. specified the terms of the agreement)? He could be afraid of you doing some scary things with bindings, and assuring him that you aren't going to even try them could go a long way to getting him comfortable with your character. Because those are about the tamest uses of Planar Binding I've seen in a game, and if your DM is balking at them and threatening you with infernal retribution, there's probably not much of a point to continuing.

Yes, I've mentioned it explicitly both before the session last time and at character creation. I'm hoping I can demonstrate that I'm not going intending to abuse it and so he'll lighten up, but I don't have much hope of that.

Seems like your DM has very different view of how this should work... talk to him(her? it?) about it. Then decide if you want to play the character with binding as it is.

As it sounds - you're screwed if you try to play nice but most broken tricks will work just fine.

I agree, his view is different; so I'm hoping over the course of a couple sessions I can change his mind about if I'm going to abuse it or not. Since I get 4 spells per level I'll develop a second daily spell load out if I need to give it up. I agree, with things as they are I'm probably screwed. I want to give him some more chances before I decide if I give it up or decide to do something less gentle.