PDA

View Full Version : The monsters of Kragaar's gate.

Chad30
2013-03-31, 02:04 PM
Say you were just going to find the most dangerous monsters to fill a dungeon with, and leave it. What would you put in there? I know a few things about DnD, but I'm not a big nerd about it. I'm not sure if sentient creatures would count, but I'd ty to get some things like beholders and aboleths. Something really freaky. Something that can come out of the walls at you, or be invisible. Then at the gate, when hopefully the force has dwindled, and the more powerful spells have been cast, have a nest of something that attacks in a huge swarm.

I assume it's going to be a bunch of extremely dangerous, non sentient monsters. Most likely with a bit of rogue thinking in there as well. In fact if Serini has enough gold, she could fill a room with all kinds of gold and gems, and convince a powerful dragon to nest there. I don't think there's much that's worse than an old dragon in DnD.

Lord Ensifer
2013-03-31, 02:10 PM
I think that even though Serini is the one making it, she's going to want it to be as "Kraagor" as possible, which would mean no rogue thinking, no traps, no invisibility, just pure, straight-up powerful monsters.

Although as I write that I realize that wouldn't make a very interesting dungeon, so it's probably a little more devious than that.

Raineh Daze
2013-03-31, 02:12 PM
Gelatinous Cubes. Lots and lots of gelatinous cubes. :smallbiggrin:

TRH
2013-03-31, 02:24 PM
Rust monsters, to send fighter-types scurrying away in fear. :smallwink:

Chad30
2013-03-31, 02:27 PM
Well I wouldn't say traps, but creatures with stealth/shapeshifting abilities. Though being a barbarian doesn't always exclude traps that bring big blades swinging at someone. Warriors do like large, sharp things. Still there may not be any traps.

Gelatenous cubes are a good idea.

A dungeon that's pretty much a series of monster fights could be interesting, if there's a good variety of them.

Edit: Ooh, yeah. Rust monsters up the wazoo. Anything that isn't wooden would be gone fast.

Raineh Daze
2013-03-31, 02:28 PM
Floor of oozes! :O

I think we know there's purple worms in there.

Chad30
2013-03-31, 02:30 PM
Floor of oozes! :O

I think we know there's purple worms in there.

Yeah, though I'd have to look up what they're capable of. Possibly a roc too, though maybe he got away.

TRH
2013-03-31, 02:31 PM
Maybe one floor can be inhabited by Tucker's Kobolds? Those give real life D&D players plenty of trouble, they'd be a nightmare for the unoptimized OOTS characters.

Chad30
2013-03-31, 02:34 PM
Maybe one floor can be inhabited by Tucker's Kobolds? Those give real life D&D players plenty of trouble, they'd be a nightmare for the unoptimized OOTS characters.

That may be, if we're including sentient races. I'm not sure if there will be, or what would motivate them to stay. Maybe they're getting paid, like Celia was.

Edit: Another trap idea is barring the entrance to a room, and releasing monsters into it. You've still got monsters to deal with, but now escape is harder.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-31, 02:47 PM

Meh, they aren't really a very good test of STRENGTH, tho. They are tricky, but not very strong, and beating them requires planning and intelligence, not brute force.

Procyonpi
2013-03-31, 02:48 PM
Gelatinous Cubes. Lots and lots of gelatinous cubes. :smallbiggrin:

Rust monsters, to send fighter-types scurrying away in fear. :smallwink:

Now all you need is mimics and you can reenact a certain webcomic that recently got into a legal dispute with WotC.

Chad30
2013-03-31, 02:56 PM
Darn copywrite. I'm sure Rich will find a way to get some really cool monsters in there, though. Traps that funnel you to monsters. Monsters coming out of everything. Monsters that enslave enemies.

kxm
2013-03-31, 03:05 PM
A Monster in the Darkness.

Chad30
2013-03-31, 03:07 PM
Lol. Well the MitD is likely to turn against Xykon at some point due to O'Chul's words to him. Maybe it will be then.

Tragak
2013-03-31, 03:50 PM
How about Gojira?
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Tarrasque

martianmister
2013-03-31, 04:32 PM
Aboleth Mage, Dread Linnorm, Hagunemnon (Protean), Neothelid, Slaad, Uvuudaum, Tarrasque, Grue, etc... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253731)

Olinser
2013-03-31, 04:37 PM
Say you were just going to find the most dangerous monsters to fill a dungeon with, and leave it. What would you put in there? I know a few things about DnD, but I'm not a big nerd about it. I'm not sure if sentient creatures would count, but I'd ty to get some things like beholders and aboleths. Something really freaky. Something that can come out of the walls at you, or be invisible. Then at the gate, when hopefully the force has dwindled, and the more powerful spells have been cast, have a nest of something that attacks in a huge swarm.

I assume it's going to be a bunch of extremely dangerous, non sentient monsters. Most likely with a bit of rogue thinking in there as well. In fact if Serini has enough gold, she could fill a room with all kinds of gold and gems, and convince a powerful dragon to nest there. I don't think there's much that's worse than an old dragon in DnD.

Well we already know that at a minimum she added in a few Purple Worms, and at least ATTEMPTED to put in a Roc.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html

Roland Itiative
2013-03-31, 04:52 PM
Lots of heavily-templated Flumphs. They've been around for a while, it's about time they get their day in the limelight :smalltongue:

BronyHeresy
2013-03-31, 05:40 PM
All I know is what I think would be absolutely the coolest: MitD must singlehandedly beat a Tarrasque to death, and then use Wish as a Spell-Like ability to keep it dead, right after his reveal.

Raineh Daze
2013-03-31, 06:00 PM
All I know is what I think would be absolutely the coolest: MitD must singlehandedly beat a Tarrasque to death, and then use Wish as a Spell-Like ability to keep it dead, right after his reveal.

What did the poor Tarrasque do to deserve such an ignominious death? :smallfrown:

Besides which, the MitD is unlikely to know about the conditions for keeping D&D Godzilla dead.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-31, 06:23 PM
Besides which, the MitD is unlikely to know about the conditions for keeping D&D Godzilla dead.

More importantly, MitD is not the sort of person to really want to wish anyone dead.

quasit
2013-03-31, 06:49 PM
My biggest concern isn't about the power of the monsters dwelling at Kraagor's but the design of the dungeon itself. Come to think, kraagor's tomb concept is like a nasty d&d enemies kitchen sink; but the first premise would be that the dungeon must be isolated enought to avoid anyone stumbling upon it, discovering about the stuff and, more important, avoid those big hitters to reach out and left the gate unattended. A device to cripple lateral thinking to bypass challenges from any group venturing into (the Tomb of horrors tanar'ri poker party at the etheral and astral plane comes to mind) would be needed or just ghostforming your way trough or stuff alike would be kinda anticlimatic :S.
But the point that thrills me most is: How to maintain those critters (living ones like the roc and the purple worm) and somehow compel those powerfull dangerous critters for keeping in place? They also have a limited life span and after few centuries or so some might just pass away...unlesss there's some breeding pools into to refresh the creatures, as the dungeon must need to stand for an undetermined ammount of time as a dealy challenge to adventurers. Soon trusted upon the new sapphire guard generations to keep Azure's gate, Girard, his own family. What did Serini thought about it (well, she might be alive to answer this eventually, but maybe not)
Also if they don't end eating each others would be great.
Dunno if I'm getting to dense over this, but I for one wait anxious for the plot to advance to that point :smallbiggrin:

Chad30
2013-03-31, 07:00 PM
I'll agree the Girard arc is getting kind of old. It would be nice if there was something in place to keep the monsters from killing each other, and to maintain their numbers.

luagha
2013-03-31, 07:14 PM
It would have to have a dragon at the end of a 5x5 foot corridor (ideal for dwarves) whose size indicates that it must have been rolled there as an egg.

The_Tentacle
2013-03-31, 07:29 PM
Maybe some kind of massive anti-magic field goes throughout the entire dungeon, coupled with rust monsters to completely disable any adventuring party trying to get in.

zimmerwald1915
2013-03-31, 07:47 PM
Well we already know that at a minimum she added in a few Purple Worms, and at least ATTEMPTED to put in a Roc.
Ironically, the Order has a pretty good track record already against Purple Worms.

Deepbluediver
2013-03-31, 07:49 PM
Well, the dungeon/tomb was built nearly 100 years ago, so without constant upkeep, whatever monsters where put in there originall probably resorted to attacking and eating each other to keep from starving.

If there was some sort of food source, they like got bored, and started breeding. (hey, all those half-whatevers need to come from somewhere)

So you've either got whichever creature was the biggest, baddest, and smartest to start with, plus whatever experience it earned for killing it's fellows.

Or you've got an entire race of half troll, half roc, half purple worm, half minotaur, half dragon, half big T, half everything, just waiting for some one to open the door and let them out. :P

Kish
2013-03-31, 08:58 PM
More importantly, MitD is not the sort of person to really want to wish anyone dead.
It could be an instinct thing, like when he recognized the ritual Tsukiko was studying as half a ritual.

It would indeed be amusing if the creature in the darkness crushed a tarrasque.

ZLordZ
2013-03-31, 09:08 PM
Now all you need is mimics and you can reenact a certain webcomic that recently got into a legal dispute with WotC.

Darn copywrite. I'm sure Rich will find a way to get some really cool monsters in there, though. Traps that funnel you to monsters. Monsters coming out of everything. Monsters that enslave enemies.

& @ Raineh Daze & TRH

How about going all out with these classic creatures. I'm throwing in:
* Intellect Devourer ! *

Motive for staying: There will ALWAYS be some Sorceror/Wizard type trying to find The Gate, so yummy Brains until the next up and coming Mage takes the Bait! Otherwise Mindflayer/Illithid (yes, it's been done).

Rust Monster + Intellect Devourer is the only combo you really need for instant mayhem. Throw in the Mimic for greedy rogues and Gelatinous Cube for all out fun.

Besides, how many monsters can Mr. Jones & Mr. Rodriguez drag off in a day?

*Edit: I just realized that Intellect Devourer is an entry in SRD and it's current incarnation is but a flicker of the original monstrosity. Back in the day, this was the bane of Magic Users(wiz) and Psions (which was still an emerging field at the time) . Oh Yeah, Lamias, lots of Lamias would be fun.

Raineh Daze
It could be an instinct thing, like when he recognized the ritual Tsukiko was studying as half a ritual.

I think that it would be more confusing if it literally managed to pull that off. :smalltongue:

Redgoblin
Have we considered the possibility that MiTD's dad might be there?

Dr.Epic
2013-03-31, 09:09 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110818004729/dragonball/images/9/98/Mrpopo.png

Hi.

:smalleek:

jere7my
2013-03-31, 09:20 PM
Well, the dungeon/tomb was built nearly 100 years ago, so without constant upkeep, whatever monsters where put in there originall probably resorted to attacking and eating each other to keep from starving.

D&D has a long history of finding magical and/or handwavey ways around that. (See: White Plume Mountain.)

Chad30
2013-03-31, 09:21 PM
Isn't Mr. Popo supposed to be blue?

I wasn't aware MitD had family.

mrzomby
2013-03-31, 09:41 PM

I wasn't aware MitD had family.

MITD talks about his dad with O Chul while he is a prisoner of redcloak and xykon.

Deepbluediver
2013-03-31, 10:07 PM

Oh, whatever network you watched DBZ on must not have served it with the side-order of vaguely racist overtones. :smallbiggrin:

Chad30
2013-03-31, 10:09 PM
He does look like a guy in blackface when he's not blue.

I guess I forgot him mentioning his dad to O'Chul. So many details to keep up with in such a long running comic.

Procyonpi
2013-04-01, 07:08 AM
& @ Raineh Daze & TRH

How about going all out with these classic creatures. I'm throwing in:
* Intellect Devourer ! *

Motive for staying: There will ALWAYS be some Sorceror/Wizard type trying to find The Gate, so yummy Brains until the next up and coming Mage takes the Bait! Otherwise Mindflayer/Illithid (yes, it's been done).

Rust Monster + Intellect Devourer is the only combo you really need for instant mayhem. Throw in the Mimic for greedy rogues and Gelatinous Cube for all out fun.

Besides, how many monsters can Mr. Jones & Mr. Rodriguez drag off in a day?

I was specifically refering to Rusty & Co.

As SSDT shows, we're well past the point where a mimic is a serious threat to the party.

Olinser
2013-04-01, 09:42 AM
MITD talks about his dad with O Chul while he is a prisoner of redcloak and xykon.

Yes, but it has already been discussed (in the MiTD thread) that his 'dad' may be either:

A) A different creature that adopted the MiTD and raised it, and the MiTD was too dumb or too naive to realize that they weren't even the same species - this actually has fairly good basis in reality - a LOT of adopted kids don't even realize they were adopted until told flat out, even though they could not possibly be the genetic child of their parents

B) MiTD is some kind of artificial or extraplanar entity, and his 'dad' was his creator/summoner (i.e. in a lot of adaptations Frankenstein's monster refers to Dr Frankenstein as 'father').

Olinser
2013-04-01, 09:44 AM

Or if the MiTD IS a tarrasque, and they realize they're long-lost cousins or something and go off to have a tea party.

Jay R
2013-04-01, 10:55 AM
I can't tell what they are. They're all carrying umbrellas with Darkness spells.

JackRackham
2013-04-01, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking trolls, ogres, gnolls and dinosaurs as the appetizer, some hydras and land wyrms to get everyone warmed up, the purple worms and the others we've seen, topped off with a breeding pair of tarrasques and MiTD' father for a terrifying dessert.

Zmeoaice
2013-04-01, 12:10 PM
I think it would be funny if when they got there, all the monsters died from fighting each other.

Chad30
2013-04-01, 12:22 PM
Hopefully there won't be a repeat of Girard's Gate, where the main defenses for the next gate have been killed off.

silveralen
2013-04-01, 02:57 PM
An Iron Colossus seems to be a good fit for Kragaar's. The immunity to magic and anti-magic field seem to sit well with the whole "physical might" angle.

Chad30
2013-04-01, 03:14 PM
That's a really good monster. I'm not really sure why it would have immumity to magic if it has an anti magic field around it, unless there's a way to get rid of the field.

Just about any monster that's immune to magic, or has that field would be great, since obviously there are spellcasters that put down melee fighters. While also forgetting that low level spellcasters can't do much of anything. I've heard that old school arcane casters get one single spell per day. You enter battle, use your one spell, and hope the fighter can keep you alive. Though I guess you could hide out in a university until you reach level 5 or so, but that's nothing to brag about.

silveralen
2013-04-01, 03:56 PM
There are a couple spells that can remove an antimagic field I think. Most are level 9 or epic level. The colossus is an epic level monster (CR:30 I think) from the epic handbook so it is there for when you need to put the epic level casters back in their places.

137beth
2013-04-01, 04:09 PM
Or if the MiTD IS a tarrasque, and they realize they're long-lost cousins or something and go off to have a tea party.

MitD is not a tarrasque. See the Mitd thread.

Shred-Bot
2013-04-01, 04:31 PM

I could see MitD wishing the Tarrasque dead if he had to batter it to -10 several times in a row... something like:

*slamslamslam* "I did it Xykon!"
*regen*
"Awwwww what?" *slamslamslam*
*regen*
"Again!?" *slamslamslam*
*regen*
"Enough already!" *slamslamslam*
*regen*
*slamslamslam* "I WISH YOU WOULD JUST STAY DEAD!!"
*death*

Otherwise I agree he isn't the type to wish death on anyone.

Olinser
2013-04-01, 04:37 PM
MitD is not a tarrasque. See the Mitd thread.

I am intimately familiar with the MiTD thread, and nowhere has it been proven that MiTD can NOT be Tarrasque. It is unlikely, given that a standard Tarrasque has no ability to teleport O-Chul, but not impossible.

People have proposed literally dozens of templated Tarrasques that could possibly have fulfilled all we have seen (it was known as Pimp my Tarrasque for quite a while).

Olinser
2013-04-01, 04:50 PM
I could see MitD wishing the Tarrasque dead if he had to batter it to -10 several times in a row... something like:

*slamslamslam* "I did it Xykon!"
*regen*
"Awwwww what?" *slamslamslam*
*regen*
"Again!?" *slamslamslam*
*regen*
"Enough already!" *slamslamslam*
*regen*
*slamslamslam* "I WISH YOU WOULD JUST STAY DEAD!!"
*death*

Otherwise I agree he isn't the type to wish death on anyone.

Maybe he wouldn't wish him dead... but he WOULD wish he would stop bothering him! (in this case - either toss him to the other side of the planet, or kill him)

Carl
2013-04-02, 07:28 PM
It is unlikely, given that a standard Tarrasque has no ability to teleport O-Chul, but not impossible.

It's also highly unlikely on the basis that a Tarrasque small enough to fit in the shadow wouldn't be very dangerous.

137beth
2013-04-02, 07:31 PM
It's also highly unlikely on the basis that a Tarrasque small enough to fit in the shadow wouldn't be very dangerous.

:smallconfused: Where do you get such strange ideas? A "RAW" tarrasque is unique and nonreproducing, so there would never be a tarrasque which could fit under an umbrella.

zimmerwald1915
2013-04-02, 07:42 PM
(it was known as Pimp my Tarrasque for quite a while)
Isn't it still?

Kish
2013-04-02, 08:12 PM
Mainly, it's unlikely on the basis that "tarrasque" explains exactly nothing.

Jay R
2013-04-03, 10:15 AM
Yes, but it has already been discussed (in the MiTD thread) that his 'dad' may be either:

A) A different creature that adopted the MiTD and raised it, and the MiTD was too dumb or too naive to realize that they weren't even the same species - this actually has fairly good basis in reality - a LOT of adopted kids don't even realize they were adopted until told flat out, even though they could not possibly be the genetic child of their parents

B) MiTD is some kind of artificial or extraplanar entity, and his 'dad' was his creator/summoner (i.e. in a lot of adaptations Frankenstein's monster refers to Dr Frankenstein as 'father').

Exactly. After the reveal about Malack's children, you think we'd learn to stop making assumptions.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-03, 06:33 PM

If there was some sort of food source, they like got bored, and started breeding. (hey, all those half-whatevers need to come from somewhere)More along the lines of sixty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) years (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0843.html), but the point still stands.

Also, who else is rooting for a key half-black dragon or two hanging around Serini's Kraagor-dungeon having been taken out by the familicide spell?

Chad30
2013-04-03, 07:30 PM
I've said it before, but I'd rather not see a repeat of Girard's gate here. I'd like it to really be full of dangerous monsters that won't be easily dispatched.