PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon o' Doom

RFLS
2013-03-31, 02:39 PM
I'm sending a level 9 gestalt party into a decently sized dungeon. It's located in the tomb of a fire giant king, in the middle of a ruined underground city, in the middle of a lake, on the abandoned continent of Xen'Drik (because cliches are the best). Anyway, they've been sent to retrieve MacGuffin #02934 from his tomb, and, of course, it's guarded. I need a third obstacle to round out the other two, and I'm having trouble coming up with something thematic.

Room 1.

The first room has a hemispherical floor shape at first glance, with the players entering the rounded side. The back wall is a falling sheet of lava. In front of it is a simple stone pedestal with an engraving (in ancient Giant) saying "Here lies blah blah blah."

The sheet of lava is a permanent illusion with a Will save to disbelieve. Past it lies a narrow pathway, with actual lava on both sides. The pathway dead-ends into another sheet of lava, identical in appearance to the first, but this one is real. The goal is to get the players to voluntarily go into the lava at some point. They definitely possess the spellcasting ability to bypass the second sheet, though. Past the second sheet of lava is room #2.

Room 2.

The pathway out of the first room leads into a brief tunnel that opens into a massive cavern (spherical, roughly 70 foot radius). On entering, the players can see that there's a bridge connecting to the other side of the cavern from where they're at. They can also see a fine mist, or dust, hanging throughout the cavern.

The Dangers

The mist forces a Fort save and a Will save every round. Making either save grants immunity to that save for 1d3 rounds. Failing the Fort save inflicts 1d3 Con damage. Failing the Will save hits the subject with Hideous Laughter (that can change if there's a better effect. A fear effect would be great).
The bridge is a classic see-saw bridge. 500 pounds of weight on one side or the other drops the heavier side into the pit, which contains dozens or hundreds of rot grubs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin/rot-grub/parasite-rot-grub-giant).
Finally, the gargoyles. When anyone gets halfway across the room, these gargoyles will awaken from their spots on the walls and charge, trying to bull rush the PCs into the pit. They're currently fairly deadly foes, with a handful of templates and levels of Antipaladin to boot.

So what should the third and final room be? I'm looking for something that's not immediately solvable by a skill check or a spell, is subtle, and is deadlier than the other two rooms put together, but not obviously so.

Gazzien
2013-03-31, 03:46 PM
Simply for the cliche (deadly hallway, bridge of death, third), I have to suggest something like the final obstacle from Indiana Jones + Holy Grail; a choice where every choice is incorrect, unless you make the choice of ignoring the offered choices?

Not sure of specifics...

Drynwyn
2013-03-31, 03:56 PM
If they have the spellcasting ability to bypass lava, it seems likely that they will simply pass room 1 without ever noticing the illusion.

As for the third room... Something I saw on these forums comes to mind. Antimagic field over the whole thing. A neck deep pool of murky water (Read: 5 ft deep so it blocks. detect spells) with the MacGuffin on a pedestal out of the water... But sections of the floor under the water are really (advanced) Gelatinous Cubes. Watch players spend an hour testing the water outside the AMF. Players walk through the water. Player steps on gelatinous cube, gets sucked in, DM laughs. Ties together nicely- First room is fire/earth , room 2 is air, room 3 is water.

kreenlover
2013-03-31, 03:56 PM
Honestly I'm new here, so feel free to ignore my advice. I would suggest something very cliched. Have them arrive in the room and see only an empty five foot wide hallway stretching something like 50' or so.
as soon as they enter the floor tilts down at the other end, and open a ramp into a new chamber. Oh, and the door seals behind them once they enter
To encourage them to go this new chamber, the ceiling of the hallway starts to lower. Once they enter the ceiling lowers all the way, and seals them in. When the ceiling hits the old floor level, the ramp resets to the previous level squishing anyone still their, then the roof raises again.
Cue anti-magic field, and the only other door leading into a hallway that also goes nowhere. This room should be full of skeletons of the other adventurers who got trapped and rotted. Of course if they can survive for about a month with no magic, then the slab lifts
The macguffin #whateveritwas is actually in a secret chamber at the other end of the hallway. They have to float over there without touching the ground, and then disable some very easy nasty traps and open the hard lock. Then, for the real rub. The macguffin is inside a green slime chest, from dungeonscape I think. (I recently had to do a wipe of my hard drive, so I lost all my books)
then stupidity ensues as they try to open the chest without touching it, or breaking it and ruining the macguffin :smalltongue:
Hope that ok :smallsmile: