PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite RPG sources

TSGames
2013-03-31, 03:25 PM
Hello fellow Playgrounders!

I was talking with a friend the other days, and we got on the subject of how exactly someone gets introduced to an RPG. After a lot of discussion, we decided that word of mouth was probably the most common way for anyone to get introduced to a new game, but the discussion did make me curious....

How did you find out about your favorite RPG game, was it through friends, an advertisement, the internet, or a group at school? Are there any blogs or news sources that you monitor on the internet to find out about other games or projects? Are you at all interested in other games?

----------------------------------------
Personally, I was introduced to nearly all of my favorite games by long time friends, and each time we tried a new game we had a blast! But one of my all time favorite games (Paranoia) I found in a game shop that I randomly happened upon and I've been enthralled with it ever since.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-31, 05:36 PM
All the games I've played has been through friends. Although I recently discovered KAMB through the internet.

Totally Guy
2013-03-31, 06:24 PM
Originally I got a bit fed up with just Dungeons and Dragons and I wanted something new so I looked at the games that were winning awards. I talked to game designers at conventions and bought games from the folks that I know "got it". I also looked at games by the same people who had made the other ones I liked.

My favourites were all found in one of those ways. If I'd have waited for friends to show me good stuff I'd still be where I was.

Negativethac0
2013-03-31, 06:50 PM
In sixth grade or so, my librarian mother came home and handed me a "Fighting Fantasy" book, saying 'Here, you'll love this!'
Then later, having completed almost all the books of the series, I tried out "The riddling reaver" with my friends and we decided to try out more, asking around and learned AD&D was the thing. So it has been sort of a natural thing from then, currently sticking to Pathfinder solely.

Also, Hero Quest likely played a big part as well.

I'm not really interested in playing that many other systems; perhaps I'm old and conservative like that, but our weekly group sessions are working wonders. At times I consider getting into something else, but it would likely be through recommendations from my friends.

dehro
2013-04-01, 08:51 AM
I was introduced to fantasy by stealing LOTR from my mum's library. I'm not even sure how it got there because it's got nothing to do with her tastes..
not long after that I went on a summer camp in France where one of the hosts pulled 6 of us to one side and introduced us to D&D instead of introducing us to weed.
can't say I regret it.
everything after that was personal interest and browsing through libraries/game-shops and the internet.

rakkoon
2013-04-05, 05:34 AM
Interesting enough, a girl asked me to play. Liked it so much I started my own group. When you know something exists, it's easier to persuade people to join :smallsmile:

The Succubus
2013-04-05, 05:36 AM
Hmmm...my preferred RPG source would have to be Bob's Discount Army Hardware, mostly because he doesn't ask questions about what I do with them.

Asta Kask
2013-04-05, 10:04 AM
Found GURPS in a friendly local gamestore and discovered that it could exactly what I wanted to do.

Jay R
2013-04-05, 11:00 AM
I read mythology as a child, and found Tokien at age 13.

In high school I was in the chess club. Lance would bring wargames into the chess room, but I was never interested.

My college roommate was an avid Napoloeonics game, and I was not interested in that, either. Bot one day he brought in a copy of Stellar Conquest. This was different; it was science fiction. I had to try it.

A month or so later he brought in Dungeons and Dragons (the original three pamphlets in the white box), and my life changed forever. (So did my GPA.)

Most of my other favorite games (Chivalry and Sorcery, Flashing Blades, Toon, Champions, etc.), I discovered at cons. I learned about The Fantasy Trip and GURPS because I knew Steve Jackson.

I was introduced to fantasy by stealing LOTR from my mum's library. I'm not even sure how it got there because it's got nothing to do with her tastes.

Doesn't matter. If she grew up or went to college in the 1960s or 1970s, she owned LotR.

dehro
2013-04-06, 06:22 AM
Doesn't matter. If she grew up or went to college in the 1960s or 1970s, she owned LotR.

that may be true in the states, here, not so much (here, in the circumstance, would be the Netherlands).. she was born in 1950.. and after inquiry, I've found out that she had an uncle born sometimes at the beginning of the century who was a major Tolkien fan and owned the books in their original editions.. sadly those were passed down to another branch of the family.

FinnLassie
2013-04-11, 08:20 AM
Pretty much every game I've gotten to know have been something a friend or a family member has introduced me to. These include D&D, RuneQuest and Paranoia (which I now irregularly GM) plus a couple of others, D&D being the first RPG I got to know. I didn't get to play it until a couple months back though, but my brother owned a bunch of the 3rd & 3.5 Ed books and I absolutely loved the monster manual when I was a kiddo.

Before getting my hands on those books I loved to read about Norse & Finnish mythology, history (especially Medieval times) plus my favourite stories were folk tales from around the world. I was also addicted to Warcraft and Warcraft II as a younger wee lassie, not sure if that did me any good at the fragile age of 6... :smallconfused: Early teenage years, addicted to Final Fantasy and other JRPGs... And when I was 16/17 my friends dragged me to their game and there was no going back. I love tabletop RPGs, it's a hobby where I feel the most comfortable. =D

Nowadays I've started to do more research on forums and finding smaller & not very known RPGs. I'm ordering Valley of Eternity soon, hope it'll be as awesome as people say!