PDA

View Full Version : New to PF, making a bard

Greyfeld85
2013-03-31, 04:30 PM
So, I've decided to make a bard for a PF game, using the Sandman Archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/sandman). The character is going to focus on Face roles, using a combination of skills and magic for deception and information-gathering.

However, I know that he needs to not be dead weight in combat, so here I am asking for advice.

Will an archery build work well enough with the sandman template, or is there a different combat role I should be focusing on?

Xerxus
2013-03-31, 05:00 PM
First of all, what does the rest of the party look like?

Hyde
2013-03-31, 05:06 PM
A focus on enchantment and control can go a long way in combat- A lot of your Face abilities will be pretty ubiquitous. If your campaign features significant amounts of undead, there's a feat for that.

Otherwise, your 6+INT skills will go a long way to providing some needed skillmonkeying, if you're lacking a rogue.

Butterfly sting, even if you never get into melee, will make your melee love you.

Greyfeld85
2013-03-31, 05:26 PM
I didn't mention it in my OP because it didn't dawn on me that it might be important, but I'm applying for an online game, so the party composition hasn't been decided yet. The party will be 5 characters, however.

It should be noted that Versatile Performance is nixed due to the Sneakspell ability, so I don't have the luxury of consolidating my skill purchases in that way. That said, all characters are also being given an additional +2 skill points per level. After that, my INT mod, plus race and class bonuses, I'm playing with 12 skill points per level.

Xerxus
2013-03-31, 05:47 PM
If you want to be the skill monkey, somewhat like a rogue but more "face" and less "SNEAK ATTACK!", I'd go for the archaeologist archetype. Gear your spells and rogue talents toward utility, especially social utility, and then hang back with a shortbow and fire away (Archaeologists luck will help that enormously). You'll get enough of a bonus on your social skill checks anyway, and the things that rogue talents allow you to do with your social skills combined with bard spells makes the face role that much more useful.

Ailowynn
2013-03-31, 05:49 PM
Melee would probably be better—even though you'd be taking damage—just because spell steal requires you to make a melee touch attack, and that's your bread and butter as sandman performances go. Plus, sneak attack is easier with melee due to that pesky 30 ft range

Greyfeld85
2013-03-31, 05:59 PM
Melee would probably be better—even though you'd be taking damage—just because spell steal requires you to make a melee touch attack, and that's your bread and butter as sandman performances go. Plus, sneak attack is easier with melee due to that pesky 30 ft range

I'd considered using something like a sling so that I'd have to stay within 30 feet anyway, but you make a point about the spellsteal ability. And being able to flank for my sneak attack would be nice.

That said, we're starting at level 1, so I don't actually expect to have to contend with that decision any time in the near future.

Greyfeld85
2013-03-31, 06:02 PM
If you want to be the skill monkey, somewhat like a rogue but more "face" and less "SNEAK ATTACK!", I'd go for the archaeologist archetype. Gear your spells and rogue talents toward utility, especially social utility, and then hang back with a shortbow and fire away (Archaeologists luck will help that enormously). You'll get enough of a bonus on your social skill checks anyway, and the things that rogue talents allow you to do with your social skills combined with bard spells makes the face role that much more useful.

Maybe Face was the wrong term... it's less, "speaking as the head of the group," and more, "weasle out of/into anything, at any time." All face skills will be used toward deception, information gathering, pilfering things, and general social mayhem.

Spells will be used to further that end.

Xerxus
2013-03-31, 06:12 PM
Maybe Face was the wrong term... it's less, "speaking as the head of the group," and more, "weasle out of/into anything, at any time." All face skills will be used toward deception, information gathering, pilfering things, and general social mayhem.

Spells will be used to further that end.

Oh. Well, unless you want bardic performance in some form, I'd still go for the archaeologist. That luck bonus is a life saver.

Greyfeld85
2013-03-31, 06:41 PM
Oh. Well, unless you want bardic performance in some form, I'd still go for the archaeologist. That luck bonus is a life saver.

I figured "stealing magic" was along the same theme as the rest of my character concept, and would help cushion the low number of spells per day.