PDA

View Full Version : Help building a Hadozee?

Spartan_Samuel
2006-11-17, 05:10 PM
Hello, I need help building a Hadozee Monk, Lvl 1. You can find the race Hadozee on page 152 of the Stormwrack splat book. The last Monk I built never made it to level three, unfortunately. Also, I want the character build primarily, but also any tips on how to play it IC would be greatly appreciated...

[EDIT] PS: you may pick any alignment you want. I'll post again later tonight with more details from the GM about teh game and any restrictions.

Zincorium
2006-11-17, 06:09 PM
Not a bad race choice, not the best, but it isn't actively hurting you, which is the important bit.

Anyway, the best advice I can give is to remember what the monk is not. The monk is not a tank. The monk is not a frenzied engine of destruction. The monk is not the ultimate use of spring attack (I'm not even sure where that comes from, but I've seen it before).

What the monk IS is a very nice complement to your existing fighter and or rogue. Tumbling and flanking works very nicely when you have tumble as a class skill and don't wear any armor. Plus, monks need the attack bonus from flanking if they're going to flurry. Monks have excellent saving throws and can get a fairly high AC, although they aren't as good as you might think in that arena.

Spartan_Samuel
2006-11-17, 06:21 PM
Any specifics for feats and skill distribution I should take?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-11-17, 06:27 PM
It would be helpful to know which books are allowed and if you are using point buy etc.

Spartan_Samuel
2006-11-17, 07:07 PM
4d6, take the top three, reroll 1's. Uhm, most of the splats are acceptable, but all of my books have already been dropped off at a player's house, so I can't name them off of the top of my head. I have a metric ton on my computer, here at home though, so pretty much any and all. I'll just print up the references for the GM to review.

BlueWizard
2006-11-18, 03:15 AM
If you have exalted deeds this will make him even more special!

Zincorium
2006-11-18, 04:38 AM
If you have exalted deeds this will make him even more special!

I'm going to have to go with NO on Vow of Poverty, which is what I'm guessing you were thinking of. First off, it isn't any better than normal (and you have to spend two feats to get it) unless you are in a low magic or poor campaign. Secondly, it looks broken even if it isn't. Thirdly, rp wise it's a pain in the ass.

Personally, I really like Versatile Unarmed Strike, esp. since it allows you to enter into Dervish and deal some impressive flurrying damage. Many of the things you'd get from monk, improved AC and speed, will progress with dervish anyway. However, I'm aware my pet builds are not always well received.

See if you can get the monk variants here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les approved. They're also in Unearthed Arcana, forget the page. Anyway, they add a lot of of options. The rest of this is for a standard monk however.

1st level: Weapon finesse, if your dex is higher than str, even by only two points (which makes it as good as weapon focus). Since you get a racial bonus, this shouldn't be hard. Note that skimping on strength is still a poor strategy, even with this feat. You need that bonus damage, and since it applies to all your attacks, it's a good investment.

2nd level: I'd go for improved grapple here, if using the standard monk, because the DCs for stunning fist are fairly poor, and with a monk abilities that are only usable a certain number of times run out very, very quickly with the increased number of attacks.

3rd level: I'm gonna go with dodge, but not strongly. Pick something you like. The next feat you're going to want is Imp. natural attack (download the 3.5 FAQ if you need proof it works). Massive damage upgrade, which you want since power attack is generally a poor choice for monks (and yes, I'm aware there are exceptions, like the quarterstaff power attacking doom build).

The White Knight
2006-11-18, 12:57 PM
1st Level Weapon Finesse wouldn't work, as it requires BAB of +1 first (unless your race has racial HD that I'm unaware of).

Spartan_Samuel
2006-11-18, 06:45 PM
UGH!!! The GM bitched out and didn't have anything ready (Which he does too much, and never tells anyone he doesn't have his ****). Other than that, I started on it and so far this is what I got (Also, before I start, in the Stormwrack book it states that the Hadozees come with the Bonus Feat Dodge):

STR-18
DEX-19 (17*)
CON-14
INT-14
WIS-13
CHA-13 (15*)
*The numbers in parenthesis are my original rolls, but the racial bonuses for Hadozees are Dex +2 and Cha -2

I rolled a seven on my HP so that's 9.

Class Skill - Skill Mod - Ability Mod - Ranks - Misc Mod
Balance - 8 - 4 - N/A - 4
Climb - 8 - 4 - N/A - 4
Concentration - 2 - 2 - N/A - N/A
Craft - 2 - 2 - N/A - N/A
Diplomacy - 1 - 1 - N/A - N/A
Escape Artist - 4 - 4 - N/A - N/A
Hide - 8 - 4 - 4 - N/A
Jump - 4 - 4 - N/A - N/A
Knowledge (Arcana) - 3 - 2 - 1 - N/A
Knowledge (Religion) - 5 - 2 - 3 - N/A
Knowledge (What the **** I'm talking about) - 4 - 2 - 2 - N/A
Listen - 5 - 1 - 4 - N/A
Move Silently - 8 - 4 - 4 - N/A
Perform - 1 - 1 - N/A - N/A
Profession (Sailor) - 1 - 1 - N/A - N/A
Search - 5 - 1 - 4 - N/A
Spot - 3 - 1 - 2 - N/A
Swim - 4 - 4 - N/A - N/A

As for languages, I chose common and Aquan.

Right now, I feel indecisive about my feat. I want something that makes me on the path to being known for my ability to handle myself in combat equally with a Fighter or Barbarian, regardless that I can't stay in there as long. Reason being why I took the Monk class, but all this Immunity stuff is just a side-affect of my intentions, personally.

Opinions and advice further?

Behold_the_Void
2006-11-19, 07:51 PM
I'd like to point out that you do not roll for HP at the first level, you always get maximum HP.

Bigfoot9000
2008-09-09, 06:44 PM
I'm not much of the person to play a monk, but heres a copy of the Hadozee ranger I made recently.

(Link to thread where I posted it on gaia)
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=13578943

Name: Skeebo (and Screech)
Class: Ranger/8
Race: Hadozee
Alignment: Netural Good
Deity: Ehlonna
Size: Med
Age: 8 (Hadozee's are like monkeys so they age fast and only live to be like 20 something.)
Sex: Male
Height: 5' 3"
Weight: 169 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Emotinal reasons to adventure: Because it seemed like fun...

Name: Screech
Race: Hawk
Class: Skeebo's Animal companion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Str: 11 (Ability modifier: 0)
Dex: 20 (Ability modifier: 5)
Con: 15 (Ability modifier: 2)
Int: 15 (Ability modifier: 2)
Wis: 10 (Ability modifier: 0)
Cha: 8 (Ability modifier: -1)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saving Throws:

Fortitude: 8 = +6 Base save, +2 Ability modifier.

Reflex: 11 = +6 Base save, +5 Ability modifier.

Will: 2 = +2 Base save, +0 Ability modifier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baste attack bonus: +8/+3
Grapple: 8 = Base attack bonus 8 + Strength 0 + Size 0 + Misc 0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Weapons:

Attack: +2 Longbow; Attack bonus: +14/+5; Damage: 1d8 +0; Critical: x3
Range: 100 ft. Type: Piercing Notes:

Attack: Halberd; Attack bonus: +8/+3; Damage: 1d10 +0; Critical: x3
Type: Piercing or slashing Notes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

HP: 59

AC: 20 = 10 + 5 Armour Bonus + 0 Shield Bonus + 5 Dex Modifier, +0 Natural armor.

Current wounds: None
Nonlethal Damage: None

Speed: 30 ft; Damage reduction: 0

Touch: 15, Flat footed: 15

Initiative: 9 = 5 Dex modifier + 4 Misc modifier.

Special abilities: +4 racial bonus to climb and balance checks, Gliding, Wild Empathy, Animal Companion, Woodland Stride, Swift Tracking

Languages: Common, Haddozee, Elven, Giant
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feats:
1. Improved Init.
2. Point Blank Shot
3. Precise Shot

Bonus: Track
Bonus: Rapid Shot
Bonus: Endurance
Bonus: Manyshot

Skills:

Jump: 10 = Ranks: 10, Ability modifier: 0

Climb: 14 = Ranks: 10, Ability modifier: 0, Racial mod: +4

Balance: 15 = Ranks: 6, Ability modifier: 5, Racial mod: +4

Hide: 15 = Ranks: 10, Ability modifier: 5

Listen: 11 = Ranks: 11, Ability modifier: 0

Search: 12 = Ranks: 10, Ability modifier: 2

Spot: 11 = Ranks: 11, Ability modifier: 0

Use Rope: 15 = Ranks: 10, Ability modifier: 5

Survival: 10 = Ranks: 10, Ability modifier: 0

88 skill point total/used

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Armor: +2 Studded Leather; AC bonus: +5; Dex: +5

Check penalty: -1; Speed: 30ft; Weight: 20lbs; Special properties: None

Shield: None

Protective item: AC Bonus: Weight: Special properties:

Protective item: AC Bonus: Weight: Special properties:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other possessions:

Item: Whetstone PG. WT. Item: PG. WT.

Item: 50ft of silk rope w. hook PG. WT. Item: PG. WT.

Item: Quiver w/ 50-100 arrows PG. WT. Item: PG. WT.

Item: Bedroll PG. WT. Item: PG. WT.

Item: Tent PG. WT. Item: PG. WT.

Item: PG. WT. Item: PG. WT.

Light load: 38 lb or less, Medium load: 39-76 lbs, Heavy load: 77-115 lbs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Money:

CP:

SP:

GP: 9364

PP:

LemonSkye
2008-09-10, 04:57 AM
UGH!!! The GM bitched out and didn't have anything ready (Which he does too much, and never tells anyone he doesn't have his ****). Other than that, I started on it and so far this is what I got (Also, before I start, in the Stormwrack book it states that the Hadozees come with the Bonus Feat Dodge):

STR-18
DEX-19 (17*)
CON-14
INT-14
WIS-13
CHA-13 (15*)
*The numbers in parenthesis are my original rolls, but the racial bonuses for Hadozees are Dex +2 and Cha -2

I rolled a seven on my HP so that's 9.

Class Skill - Skill Mod - Ability Mod - Ranks - Misc Mod
Balance - 8 - 4 - N/A - 4
Climb - 8 - 4 - N/A - 4
Concentration - 2 - 2 - N/A - N/A
Craft - 2 - 2 - N/A - N/A
Diplomacy - 1 - 1 - N/A - N/A
Escape Artist - 4 - 4 - N/A - N/A
Hide - 8 - 4 - 4 - N/A
Jump - 4 - 4 - N/A - N/A
Knowledge (Arcana) - 3 - 2 - 1 - N/A
Knowledge (Religion) - 5 - 2 - 3 - N/A
Knowledge (What the **** I'm talking about) - 4 - 2 - 2 - N/A
Listen - 5 - 1 - 4 - N/A
Move Silently - 8 - 4 - 4 - N/A
Perform - 1 - 1 - N/A - N/A
Profession (Sailor) - 1 - 1 - N/A - N/A
Search - 5 - 1 - 4 - N/A
Spot - 3 - 1 - 2 - N/A
Swim - 4 - 4 - N/A - N/A

As for languages, I chose common and Aquan.

Right now, I feel indecisive about my feat. I want something that makes me on the path to being known for my ability to handle myself in combat equally with a Fighter or Barbarian, regardless that I can't stay in there as long. Reason being why I took the Monk class, but all this Immunity stuff is just a side-affect of my intentions, personally.

Opinions and advice further?

I noticed that your Int is higher than your Wis. If you plan on keeping your stats that way, I'd recommend taking Kung-Fu Genius (from Dragon Compendium) as your 1st level feat. It allows you to use your Int score in place of your Wis for all of your monk abilities, and it can't be taken past 1st level. I'd also recommend asking your DM to see if he'll let you swap out Dodge for Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild). It's treated as the basic Dodge feat for meeting all prerequisites, but instead of giving you a +1 deflection bonus to AC against a single target, it gives you a +2 deflection bonus to AC against all opponents in any round that you move more than 20 ft.--which nicely compliments the monk's speed bonuses.

As for more advice as to feat choices, I'd say that first you need to decide what kind of style you want your monk to have. Will he be a grappler, or use a more traditional hard style (punches and kicks)? Do you plan on using weapons?

If you're sticking with the hard form monk, I recommend taking Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle) as your 3rd level feat. It allows you to deal damage as if your monk level were 4 levels higher. At 6th level, pick up Improved Natural Attack (Monster Manual). Don't let the source fool you--it's a general feat, and it'll allow you to deal damage as if you were a size category larger. Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference and style. Look through as many books as you can--Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, PHB2 and Sandstorm in particular have some good monk feats. Ring the Golden Bell (from Dragon Compendium) is also an excellent feat, which allows you to make an unarmed ranged attack.

Telonius
2008-09-10, 03:21 PM
Take that 15 and put it in Wisdom. Charisma is just about the only stat that Monks don't use on a regular basis. It is perfectly fine for it to be an 11. Wisdom, on the other hand, helps your AC, your Stunning Fist (if you take that bonus feat), and several of the Monk's class skills.

Keld Denar
2008-09-10, 03:32 PM
Monk is actually a fun lead in for Pious Templar. Meeting the skill and feat requirements aren't that difficult. Unfortuantely, PT doesn't advance your monk damage, but you get some nice paladin spells to help out. PT is kind of like a paladin, without all the CHA and the stick in the butt. Check out Spell Compendium and Races of Stone for a number of Pally spells that rock the boat.

I'm pretty sure you could transition then into something like Ordained Champion from Complete Champion or Sacred Fist, the monk/cleric combined class.

Alternatively, Sacred Fist is a pretty strong build so long as you go with more of a caster focus. Righteous Might in the hands of an unarmed grappler is pretty strong, at least as far as monks are concerned...

Krüsher
2010-06-20, 01:19 PM
Age: 8 (Hadozee's are like monkeys so they age fast and only live to be like 20 something.) PP:

Actually it says in the book they usually live around as long as a human but are considered adults at a younger age

mabriss lethe
2010-06-20, 01:59 PM
Martial study and pick a maneuver you qualify for.

For a level 1 monk? (this is just off the top of my head)
things to look for: anything that makes it easier for you to hit them either through bonuses to rolls, extra rolls, whatever.

Shadow Blade Technique: You roll twice to hit instead of once, and if both rolls hit you deal extra damage.

Distracting Ember: Instant flanking buddy courtesy of a short lived fire elemental.

Wolf fang strike: Allows you to make an attack with each hand as part of a standard action instead of taking a full round to flurry.

Mighty throw: resolves as a trip attack with a +4 bonus and uses the better of your strength or dex mods. throw's your opponent down prone 10 ft away.

Sliver
2010-06-20, 02:10 PM
I once made a Hadozee... It was a warlock//factotum and I called it the Dark Knight... :smallbiggrin:

paddyfool
2010-06-20, 02:13 PM
I suggest looking up a feat called "Tashalatora" for third. Psionic Lion's Charge in particular actually makes Flurry work, and Enlargement helps out a lot with the grappling, tripping and damage dealing.

If you don't like the idea of psionics... best go with something to help whichever route you're going out of grappling or stunning fist. I'm guessing grappling, since you've put your 18 in Str, so maybe look up Earth's Embrace (Complete Warrior) for some extra damage while doing this.

Whichever route you go, you should really go with a higher Wis than you are at present.

Roland St. Jude
2010-06-20, 03:10 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread Necromancy is disfavored on this forum.