PDA

View Full Version : What are some synergistic energy damage carrier effects?

Ammutseba
2013-03-31, 08:15 PM
I'm treating the following as energy types for the purposes of this thread: acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic.

Now, I need suggestions for possible carrier effects created out of the synergy between two different energy types when both are dealt to a single character in the same round by a spell or a martial maneuver. The order damage is dealt in doesn't (or shouldn't) matter, and the list should be exhaustive.

To be filled out as combinations are completed:
Acid + Cold = On the round following suffering the damage, creatures and objects in the affected squares suffer half as much damage as the combined damage totals of the acid and cold effects dealt. This damage is considered both acid and cold damage, simultaneously.

Acid + Electricity = Creatures in the affected squares suffer a –2 penalty to Dexterity for 1 round. This penalty stacks with itself, Fortitude save for half.

Acid + Fire = Creates a cloud of sickening gas in each affected square, which lasts for 1 round. Fortitude save to negate. Sickened victims escalate to nauseated.

Acid + Sonic = Objects in the affected squares have their hardnesses negated for 1 round. Fortitude save to negate.

Cold + Electricity = Creatures in the affected squares suffer a –2 penalty to Strength for 1 round. This penalty stacks with itself, Fortitude save for half.

Cold + Fire = Creates a cloud of exceptionally thick fog in each affected square for 1 round. The fog is so thick that any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a maximum speed of 20 feet, regardless of its normal speed, and it takes a -2 penalty on all attack and damage rolls. A creature or object that falls into the fog is slowed, so that each 10 feet of vapor that it passes through reduces falling damage by 1d6.

Cold + Sonic = Sunders an object held by each creature dealt the damage or one unattended object in each affected square, inflicting 2d8 damage on those objects, which is considered both cold and sonic damage, simultaneously.

Electricity + Fire = Creatures in the affected squares are blinded for 1 round. Creatures that cannot be blinded are dazzled, instead. Reflex save to negate.

Electricity + Sonic = Creatures in the affected squares are dazed for 1 round. Fortitude save to negate.

Fire + Sonic = Creatures in the affected squares suffer a –2 penalty to Constitution for 1 round. This penalty stacks with itself. Fortitude save for half.

themourningstar
2013-04-01, 11:47 AM
I cant remember where it was, but i think it was Complete Mage or Complete Arcane, but they had feats for special effects based on casting certain energy spells together. Definitely worth checking out.

ngilop
2013-04-01, 12:20 PM
there is a feat called energy gestalt that works with 3 differnt interaction

the only one i can think of is the acid+fire= nauseated.

if your internet search powers are awesome I think I posted my version of improved energy gestalt on GITP, but I could be wrong.

EDIT!! here it is!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237595)

Ammutseba
2013-04-02, 12:24 AM
Yes, I did refer to Energy Gestalt for my opening research.

Ngilop, do you mind if I draw some heavy inspiration what you've got there?

Just to Browse
2013-04-02, 12:37 AM
Trouble with this is that all conditions need to be created equal, or else you'll see a high predominance of whatever status effects are superior.

Also, where does the save arise?

Ammutseba
2013-04-02, 09:21 PM
Alternatively, the effects could be significantly different enough from one another that the combinations will be considered tactically rather than on a basis of strict superiority. Saves would come in on a case-by-case basis.

The ideas so far are the following:

Acid+Cold will cause half as much damage each round for 2 rounds. This damage is considered both acid and cold damage, simultaneously.

Acid+Electricity inflicts a -2 penalty to dexterity for 1 round. This penalty stacks with itself, Fort save for half.

Acid+Fire will create a cloud of sickening gas, Fort save to negate. Sickened victims escalate to nauseated.

Cold+Electricity inflicts a -2 penalty to strength for 1 round. This penalty stacks with itself, Fort save for half.

Cold+Fire will create a cloud of exceptionally thick fog which impairs vision and hampers movement.

Cold+Sonic may sunder an object held by each creature dealt the damage or one unattended object in each affected square.

Electricity+Fire blinds or dazzles creatures in the affected squares for 1 round. Ref to negate.

ngilop
2013-04-02, 10:34 PM
I do not mind at all, just give me credit where it is due.

TuggyNE
2013-04-03, 01:01 AM
Acid+Cold will cause half as much damage each round for 2 rounds. This damage is considered both acid and cold damage, simultaneously.

Not sure why this is noticeably good, unless this is extra damage, rather than dividing the damage between rounds?

Cold+Fire will create a cloud of exceptionally thick fog which impairs vision and hampers movement.

Solid fog, then, but a bit less powerful perhaps? (For example, no penalty on attack or damage.)

Electricity+Fire blinds or dazzles creatures in the affected squares for 1 round. Ref to negate.

Should probably be blinding, perhaps dazzle on a save.

Kane0
2013-04-03, 01:43 AM
The ones I think have good synergy are:
Cold + Fire (in either order) = Sickened/Nauseated + Half damage next round
Acid + Fire (in that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Half damage next round (or catch fire or slowed)
Electricity + Sonic (in that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Deafened
Cold + Sonic (in that order) = Slowed/Paralyzed + Daze/Stun
Acid + Electricity (in that order) = Slowed/Paralyzed + Daze/Stun
Acid + Cold (Simultaneously) = Slow/Paralyzed + Half damage next round
Acid + Electricity (In that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Half damage next round
Fire + Electricity (In that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Half damage next round

Tweak to suit the amount of power you want.

Alternatively, each type has its own basic effects. If you use two types you apply the effects that appear under both types, eg Fire + Acid Deals damage over time but does not Blind, Dazzle, Slow/Paralyze or Entangle. Only one effect can occur for each time this happens.

Basic effects:
Fire: Damage over time, Blind, Dazzle
Cold: Damage over time, Slow/Paralyze, Str/Dex damage
Electricity: Daze/Stun, Blind, Str/Dex Damage
Acid: Damage over time, Slow/Paralyze, Entangle
Sonic: Deafen, Daze/Stun, Dazzle

Ammutseba
2013-04-04, 04:05 AM
I do not mind at all, just give me credit where it is due.

Of course. I can't imagine why I wouldn't.

Not sure why this is noticeably good, unless this is extra damage, rather than dividing the damage between rounds?

Solid fog, then, but a bit less powerful perhaps? (For example, no penalty on attack or damage.)

Should probably be blinding, perhaps dazzle on a save.

1) This is extra damage. Each round after the initial damage, it deals damage equal to half of what was first deal, for 2 rounds.

2) Remarkably similar to solid fog, except that slows creatures to 20 feet and causes ranged weapons to miss 50% of the time. It does still break falls and prevent 5-foot steps, and lasts only 1 round.

3) I was going to say that it blinds creatures, but dazzles creatures that cannot be blinded.

The ones I think have good synergy are:
Cold + Fire (in either order) = Sickened/Nauseated + Half damage next round
Acid + Fire (in that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Half damage next round (or catch fire or slowed)
Electricity + Sonic (in that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Deafened
Cold + Sonic (in that order) = Slowed/Paralyzed + Daze/Stun
Acid + Electricity (in that order) = Slowed/Paralyzed + Daze/Stun
Acid + Cold (Simultaneously) = Slow/Paralyzed + Half damage next round
Acid + Electricity (In that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Half damage next round
Fire + Electricity (In that order) = Dazed/Stunned + Half damage next round

Tweak to suit the amount of power you want.

Alternatively, each type has its own basic effects. If you use two types you apply the effects that appear under both types, eg Fire + Acid Deals damage over time but does not Blind, Dazzle, Slow/Paralyze or Entangle. Only one effect can occur for each time this happens.

Basic effects:
Fire: Damage over time, Blind, Dazzle
Cold: Damage over time, Slow/Paralyze, Str/Dex damage
Electricity: Daze/Stun, Blind, Str/Dex Damage
Acid: Damage over time, Slow/Paralyze, Entangle
Sonic: Deafen, Daze/Stun, Dazzle

As much as I appreciate this angle, especially the X/Y table effects in the second part, sticking to cut-and-dry conditions like these will create exactly the kind of biasing that Just to Browse was talking about earlier. That's why I would rather see effects that are distinctly more creative, uniquely limited or that simulate design depth.