PDA

View Full Version : What is the name of this prestiege class?

fl_swat
2013-03-31, 10:22 PM
I was reading prestiege classes a while back and forgot the name and origin. Basically everyone forgets what you look like and most everything about you shortly after seeing you. You can choose to allow others to remember you though. Anyone know what the name is?

Thanks guys

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-31, 10:30 PM
Urrr, not much to go on. But it reminds me of a couple things.

Shadowmind (Complete Adventurer)

Ebon Saint (Complete Psionic)

Neither seems to be exactly what you are referring to, though.

Someone else will perk up with an answer, though. Good luck.

Twilightwyrm
2013-03-31, 10:41 PM
Not sure, but it might have been the Ghostwalker. It's ability doesn't actually stop people from remembering your name, but people that find it out negate some of your many bonuses against them.

TuggyNE
2013-03-31, 10:42 PM
This sounds like something from Truenaming, but it might have been added as part of the homebrew fixes I've read, rather than in the original?

gorfnab
2013-03-31, 10:44 PM
Void Incarnate? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030418a)

HunterOfJello
2013-03-31, 10:51 PM
That sounds somewhat similar to the Vecna-Blooded template. You can find it in the God-Blooded section of Monster Manual V. It's not a PrC, but it is powerful and quite impressive.

A person who undergoes the ceremony to become Vecna-Blooded gains the Cloak of Mystery special quality.

Cloak of Mystery (Su): All knowledge of the Vecna-blooded
creature fades from the world. Its original name, its deeds
before becoming Vecna-blooded, and so forth, disappear from
memory. Only Vecna and the Vecna-blooded creature retain
this knowledge.
A Vecna-blooded creature gains immunity to all divination
spells cast against it or cast to learn information about it.
Such divination fails to reveal any information. The Vecnablooded
creature immediately learns the name, appearance,
and location of the caster who attempted the divination

The template also comes with two special abilities which can each be activated once per day. The first is an aura makes everyone in a 120ft radius forget that the caster exists. It lasts for 1 minute and gives all enemies a 50% chance of being unable to effect the target. The second ability is a swift action that can be used on flat-footed enemies to give them a -4 penalty on saving throws against spells cast by the caster.

dysprosium
2013-04-01, 09:08 AM
Re: What is the name of this prestiege class?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Void Incarnate?

that was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw the OP

Than
2013-04-01, 11:22 AM
The description doesn't remind me at all of any prestige class the others haven't already mentioned but it does make me think of the psionic power Cloud Mind.

Only works on target. Perhaps Mass Cloud Mind.

Callin
2013-04-01, 11:23 AM
^ there is a Psionic PrC that uses that to great effect. I cant remember the name of it now though.

Rijan_Sai
2013-04-01, 11:53 AM
I don't really have anything relavent to add to this conversation, but I do feel like pointing the incredible amout of irony in the OP considering the abilities in question, as well as note that said abilities would make a great starting point to stat out something like this (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Gray_Cowl_of_Nocturnal) item (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Gray_Cowl_of_Nocturnal).

fl_swat
2013-04-02, 04:17 AM
It is a little similar to Void Incarnate. It gave an example of entering a bar and spending the whole night there. Yet shortly after leaving no one in the bar could seem to recall any descriptions about him other than race, sex, etc (not because they are all drunk. Lol) It was as if they had a moving cloud of who the ****** was that? It was a home brew or variant someone had made up.

Killer Angel
2013-04-02, 05:14 AM
It is a little similar to Void Incarnate. It gave an example of entering a bar and spending the whole night there. Yet shortly after leaving no one in the bar could seem to recall any descriptions about him other than race, sex, etc

Well, if you are a Spymaster, they remember perfectly any detail of your fake identity... :smalltongue:

Green Leviathan
2013-04-02, 07:16 AM
FAINT MEMORY
Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Psion/wilder 3
On a failed save, the creature’s memory of the encounter
becomes quite vague, much like the remnants of a dream.
MoE pg 104

not a class but a power. does that help?

Callin
2013-04-02, 07:57 AM
Its the Shadowmind from Complete Adventurer

AmberVael
2013-04-02, 08:14 AM
It is a little similar to Void Incarnate. It gave an example of entering a bar and spending the whole night there. Yet shortly after leaving no one in the bar could seem to recall any descriptions about him other than race, sex, etc (not because they are all drunk. Lol) It was as if they had a moving cloud of who the ****** was that? It was a home brew or variant someone had made up.

This may be completely unrelated, but the description you're giving defines a certain quality of the Sidereal Exalted perfectly. I know I've seen a few transports of Exalted stuff into D&D, so perhaps that might be a clue?

Still, the only Sidereal material in D&D that I know of is TDO's Sidereal destinies, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5804064) which doesn't seem to include or even mention this particular aspect of their nature...

It could nonetheless point in the direction you should look though. Since you recall that it is a homebrew or variant, and it does sound particularly similar to something from Exalted, you may consider looking through those homebrewers who have taken inspiration from or used Exalted material before. TDO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7315805&postcount=52) and Krimm Blackleaf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4589069&postcount=50) both have made a number of PrCs and would know of such a detail, for example.

In that line of thought, perhaps you meant TDO's Dreaming Lotus Assassin? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4726582) The Stance of Forgotten Shadows class feature sounds very similar to what you're talking about.

Venger
2013-04-02, 08:45 AM
I was reading prestiege classes a while back and forgot the name and origin. Basically everyone forgets what you look like and most everything about you shortly after seeing you. You can choose to allow others to remember you though. Anyone know what the name is?

Thanks guys

this is indeed the ebon saint from complete psionic. you are able to erase memories, steal thoughts, and change shape by use of your "dire strike" ability.

Killer Angel
2013-04-02, 12:27 PM
Its the Shadowmind from Complete Adventurer

Uh? AFAIK, the shadowmind got only the power "cloud mind", and with a limited use. There's also Mind Stab, but it only works on SA.
Memory is failing me?

fl_swat
2013-04-02, 12:40 PM
Faint memory appears to be what one of the PrC abilities was based on. Basically the same as faint memory, except it was permanently on the PC and was activated by anyone who looked at them and failed the save. The description of how it worked very slightly changed.

Also, It did not grant the skill bonuses.

Venger
2013-04-02, 12:45 PM
Faint memory appears to be what one of the PrC abilities was based on. Basically the same as faint memory, except it was permanently on the PC and was activated by anyone who looked at them and failed the save. The description of how it worked very slightly changed.

what is "faint memory" ? shadowmind doesn't have a class feature like that. which class's feature are you referring to?

are you maybe thinking of psibond agent? it can't do anything like that, but sort of falls under this umbrella

Callin
2013-04-02, 01:14 PM
Uh? AFAIK, the shadowmind got only the power "cloud mind", and with a limited use. There's also Mind Stab, but it only works on SA.
Memory is failing me?

No its reduced cost was on a limited use. They can manifest it as many times as they can normally and at higher levels they get Mass Cloud Mind.

fl_swat
2013-04-02, 01:58 PM
It's not shadow mind. Another posted showed the faint mind spell/ability.

dysprosium
2013-04-02, 02:05 PM
Void Incarnate? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030418a)

Void Incarnate

The void incarnate specializes in "not being." He trains himself in the art of avoiding detection and escaping danger, and he steels his body and mind to resist harm. Eventually, the void incarnate extends this ability to the point where he can simply ignore a wide variety of physical and mental effects -- much as if he weren't there at all. Void incarnates are sometimes referred to as "blanks" or "untouchables."

Rogues and shadowdancers make the most common void incarnates. Few other characters have the talents to become a blank, though ex-monks who meet the prerequisites often find this class to their liking.

NPC void incarnates might as well not exist, for all that anyone can remember about them. You could live right next door to a void incarnate and not only would you be unaware of his talents, but you also might not even know you had a neighbor at all.

as posted previously, I really think this is the prestige class you were thinking about. It is an epic prestige class from the epic insights articles on the WotC website.