PDA

View Full Version : The Wishmaster (base class)

Baron Corm
2006-11-17, 05:30 PM
The Wishmaster essentially starts out as a commoner, and must have some sort of especially good reason for being with an adventuring party. He progresses to become a decent fighter type, with the main perk being a casting of Wish once per week with no material component, at level 20. I try to be unique... PEACH!

Wishmaster

Table:

Level 1: Weak Spirit, BAB +0
Level 3: Confidence, BAB +1
Level 4: Hit Die Increase: d6, BAB +1
Level 5: +1 Will save, BAB +2
Level 6: +1 Fort save, BAB +2
Level 7: +1 INT, BAB +3
Level 8: +1 INT, BAB +4
Level 9: +1 Will save, BAB +5
Level 10: Hit Die Increase: d8, +2 STR, BAB +5
Level 11: +1 CON, BAB +6/+1
Level 12: +1 STR, simple and martial weapon proficiencies, light armor proficiency, BAB +7/+2
Level 13: +1 CON, BAB +8/+3
Level 14: +1 STR, BAB +9/+4
Level 15: +1 WIS, +1 CHA, BAB +10/+5
Level 16: +1 WIS, +1 CHA, medium armor proficiency, BAB +11/+6/+1
Level 17: BAB +13/+8/+3
Level 18: +2 CON, BAB +14/+9/+4
Level 19: +2 DEX, BAB +15/+10/+5
Level 20: Wishmaster, heavy armor proficiency, BAB +16/+11/+6/+1

Hit Die: d4
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.
Base Attack Bonus: Special
Base Saves: Low Fort, Low Will, Low Reflex
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Jump, Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, Swim, and Use Rope.
Proficiencies: One simple weapon of his choice

Class Features

Weak Spirit (Ex)

The wishmaster has a -1 circumstance penalty to any attack roll or save he attempts due to low faith in himself. Any time he fails a check, this penalty increases by -1. It is set back to -1 when the wishmaster rests for 8 hours.

Confidence (Ex)

Starting at level 3, the wishmaster may make a single will save at DC 20 at the end of his 8 hours of rest to negate his initial -1 penalty. Failing a check, not including the Confidence check, during that day still results in a compounded -1 penalty.

Hope (Ex)

Most of the wishmaster's scores are improved as he takes levels in the class, due to a strengthening of will and a better self-confidence. These improvements are reflected in the table without mentioning the word Hope. Any time the wishmaster gains a proficiency feat through Hope, he may instead choose a different feat if he has chosen that proficiency as a feat at an earlier level of Wishmaster. If he multiclasses in any way, he does not get any bonus proficiencies.

Wishmaster (Su)

The wishmaster no longer has to make the Confidence check; all effects of Weak Spirit are voided. He also gains Inspire Courage as an 8th level bard, but requires no ranks of perform and it is always active, as an aura. Inspire Courage does not have any effect on the wishmaster. The wishmaster may also cast Wish as per the spell 1x/week with no material component, though there is an xp cost. Wish is cast as a level 20 caster, and the wishmaster's primary casting stat when required is his WIS.

pyrefiend
2006-11-17, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure. -1 to all saves, and attack rolls? That is one huge penalty. I don't know if the stat increases justify the loss. Maybe you could increase the rate of stat increases to every two or three levels rather than four. It's just that the main ability of this class seems to be a resistance to the penalties aquired when taking your first level.

Baron Corm
2006-11-17, 07:25 PM
Made the BAB weird but better and it makes sense to me... does that fix anything? Note that that mega-penalty is completely negated at level 20.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-17, 07:44 PM

That BaB is all over the place.

BaB is always (always) either 1/1 (+1 per level), 2/3 (+0, +1, +2, +3, +3, +4...) or 1/2 (+0, +1, +1, +2, +2, +3...). Never anything else.

Xeran
2006-11-17, 07:55 PM
I have never seen a BAB like that. I think it should be one of the options Yuki mentioned. And the major benefit of this class, the Wishmaster ability, isn't available till 20th level. That is too long for almost any player to wait. I think you should give the class some wish related abilities earlier on as well.

Bobbis
2006-11-17, 08:01 PM
Well, you can always call it something a skill like "This permantly adds +1 to the characters base attack bonus."

Granted, if you do this, you must make a statement that you can -never- multiclass into this character, as getting a BAB over 20 is a no-no. And Yuki, tell me where it says -always- must be full, 2/3 or 1/2. If I recall correctly either the DMG or the DMG II states that a class can even have 0 BAB progression in extreme cases.

Besides, house rules override anything; if you're having a wishmaster class then obviously you're not playing by the RAW. That being said; I'm afraid I can think of no one who would ever want to play this class for anything other then a pure RP standpoint, and even then you're basically playing a character whose sole purpose at level one is "Oh, look how much I suck."

Khantalas
2006-11-17, 08:09 PM
I don't know about you, but I love the way OP says first "BAB +16/+11/+6/+1", then claims the base attack bonus progression is the same as wizard.

And "Ooh, look how much I suck!". Priceless.

Oh, you need actual critique? OK. Needs more class abilities. And needs to be better than every NPC class of the same level at every single level.

Better now?

Bobbis
2006-11-17, 08:13 PM
BTW, Wish has no material component, he's basically using wish 1/week the same as if a wizard had it scribed and cast it once per week?

Baron Corm
2006-11-17, 08:35 PM
:D I'd play it. It says BAB wizard because it was wizard before I edited it... what is actually going on in that BAB is a change from wizard to cleric to fighter at different levels, with a bonus at 17 because he gets no other bonuses that level. How about, at level 8, he gets Limited Wish 1x/day with material costs halved? Other than that, the only thing I see which would improve it is changing the numbers on the table around, and no one's advised more balanced numbers yet.

Also Bobbis, yeah. Good or bad?

Khantalas
2006-11-17, 08:39 PM
:D I'd play it. It says BAB wizard because it was wizard before i edited it... what is actually going on in that BAB is a change from wizard to cleric to fighter at different levels, with a bonus at 17 because he gets no other bonuses that level. How about, at level 8, he gets Limited Wish 1x/day with material costs halved? Other than that, the only thing I see which would improve it is changing the numbers on the table around, and no one's advised more balanced numbers yet.

Also Bobbis, yeah. Good or bad?

I'm a failure at balancing things. Don't ask me. I still have to consult others for monster CRs.

Wait... Limited Wish? At a level where the best caster can cast only 4th level spells?

Suffer till the 8th level, then rule the universe of your level characters.

Baron Corm
2006-11-17, 08:42 PM
I knew instantly I would regret that... was gonna edit it to limit it to lower level spells but didn't know what an equal leveled caster would have. Heh.

MagFlare
2006-11-18, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure what role this class is supposed to play within a party. Sure, it ends up with some nice ability score bonuses, but it can't really do anything with them due to its mediocre BAB, awful saves, and lack of applicable skills. Even its once-per-week wish ability is pretty weak; achieving 20th level just means it goes from being an inferior Fighter variant to being an extremely inferior Wizard variant.

I could see the current version of the Wishmaster being a member of a no-hopers party (you know the type: half-orc Bard, pixie Barbarian, the half-dragon vampire drow Wizard who's level 14 but only knows first-level spells, etc.), but that's about it. You're better off playing as a Fighter who, at 20th level, begins spending all his money on Rings of Three Wishes.

That's not to say this class doesn't show any potential. I think I see where you're going with this: the Wishmaster is a low-powered character who eventually discovers an astonishing inner strength. To that end, I'd suggest basing the class on the NPC Expert (considered the most powerful NPC class), then going up from there. Gaining limited wish is also a good idea. Maybe he could use limited wish once per week at level 12 (an entire level before the arcane spellcasters get access to it).

Pegasos989
2006-11-19, 09:28 AM
To tell the truth, I would suggest getting back to drawing table.

This class being what it is, is next to impossible to PrC out of (not only you can't meet requirements but all useful stuff comes at high level so... there is no use in just 10 levels or so). Also, it uses overly confusing system on HD, BAB, etc. and fills no actual role at any point. At 20th level it will be able to cast wish once a week (4 encounters a day, holidays on sundays, it means he can use his nearly only class ability once per 24 encounters.)...

I think you would be better off with starting with wizard (saves, bab, etc.) and at every another level, he could choose one class ability to take. They could be improved toughness (as the feat, it is mechanically nearly identical to improving hd by 1 for all levels), open minded (extra skillpoints), attack roll increases, ability increases, etc. with each ability being choseable multiple times and having prerequisite level at which he can get it. It would fill the idea of character who shapes to his role during levels.

flawed.Perfection
2006-11-20, 06:37 PM
Actually, when I think of Wishmaster, the first thing that pops in my mind (besides 'Nightwish') is a sort of Bard or Warlock with it's own casting system. Some way to 'wish' something to happen...

Sounds a bit vague, I know. But a revamp is needed, cause it doesn't offer much as it is. I like the idea behind it, though.

Khantalas
2006-11-20, 06:41 PM
But not the movie?

Xeran
2006-11-22, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I agree. The class as is now should be redone.