PDA

View Full Version : I am so proud of my character!!!

Immabozo
2013-04-01, 12:02 AM
So last week, we orchestrated (by double crossing, although we stayed true to our original side, so triple crossing?) this huge fortress with and got two enemy armies through the gates and took the city. We were rewarded from our Prince with our own island with a fortress on it that had been taken by a demon, that we took back.

My character: Half Minotaur (dragon magazine, DM approved, self nerfed so as not to be game breaking, even though DM approved the full template) half ogre (dragon magazine, DM approved) on a dwarf chassis, barbarian 5/Dungeoncrasher fighter 2/bear warrior 1/war hulk 2 stats: str 26 dex 16 con 24 int 7 wis 10 cha 4 whirling spirit lion totem barbarian (+ bear warrior) rage is +8 str, +2 dex, +4 con, 2 dodge bonus to AC, +2 reflex, +2 natural armor, -2 to attacks plus one more attack per round. Weapon Gargantuan +1 Dwarven Waraxe +16 (+18 when raging) to hit 4D8 +15 (+19 when raging) feats: Endurance, steadfast determination, power attack, shock trooper, improved bullrush, leap attack (2 flaws) Next feat is knockback, finally pulling the build together.

So last night we were clearing out the mountains behind our new keep. We found an adult blue dragon who wanted us to pay him to leave his cave unharmed. We wanted to charge him rent. He made slight of the half dragon in our party, so he charged, followed by me. The DM laughs, a smug look of you are so screwed spreads across his face, note, his DMing style is very open, he has checked everything I am doing, but has not pieced the pieces together. And I didn't give him the whole picture, for this reason.)

Round two of combat. Half dragon does 32 or so damage, my turn. Natural 20 and one more attack hits. I confirm the crit and we added it up for simplicities sake. The two hits came out to 16D8 + 126 damage (4D8 +19, +10 power attack, plus, x3 crit, 12D8 +57, +30 power attack = 16D8 +126). The dragon was pronounced dead long before I finished rolling damage. I killed it on round 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and the half dragon player were jumping out of our chairs cheering and high fiving, laughing in astonishment. The DM shaking his head in shock, saying after a few moments "your character does too much damage" and to think, in 2 levels, the armies of little guys he likes to throw at us in formations, will break against me like water breaks on rocks.

This DM is more story based, so I've gotta get my kicks somewhere to make the 45 minute drive worth it!

Norin
2013-04-01, 02:38 AM
Sounds fun, but i can not get a mental picture of your half minotaur, half ogre dwarf and not giggle a bit. :smallwink:

Good times though.

Gnorman
2013-04-01, 03:03 AM
Must be real awkward at family reunions.

Rethmar
2013-04-01, 03:15 AM
Looks like this. Bull on a dwarf chassis.

http://image.coloring.com/pictures/overlay/monster-truck-bull.gif

Callin
2013-04-01, 09:02 AM
Nice. Thats about the same as my groups typical melee monsters. Kudos to you

Immabozo
2013-04-01, 12:23 PM
Sounds fun, but i can not get a mental picture of your half minotaur, half ogre dwarf and not giggle a bit. :smallwink:

Good times though.

I agree, haha.

Must be real awkward at family reunions.

The back story goes that a wizard was experimenting to make the perfect monster and I was one experiment. The physical stats and capabilities were there, but not the mental stats (I only have a 7 int because I have a +3 int item) and so I was pronounced a failed experiment and then dumped in the enemy camp, hoping the combination would lead to trouble

Nice. Thats about the same as my groups typical melee monsters. Kudos to you

Thank you, thank you

koboldish
2013-04-01, 12:29 PM
Shweet! That's pretty epic. I get to feel like that when I take out like 4 level 3's with a color spray at level 1 :smallbiggrin:. Well, wizards are OP anyways, but nice job optimizing a barbarian. Nice "On a dwarf chassis", as well.

Immabozo
2013-04-01, 02:17 PM
Shweet! That's pretty epic. I get to feel like that when I take out like 4 level 3's with a color spray at level 1 :smallbiggrin:. Well, wizards are OP anyways, but nice job optimizing a barbarian. Nice "On a dwarf chassis", as well.

haha, thanks. in two levels, war hulk will let me hit 3 squares every round and knockback feat will let me push people far back, shock trooper will let me guide them into each other and trip them and dungeoncrasher fighter will deal 6d6 + twice str. I will rock and heads will roll.

fun times with color spray, haha

Malachei
2013-04-01, 03:05 PM
Honestly, who's not so proud of his/her character?

Immabozo
2013-04-01, 03:30 PM

QFT. I just wished to pronounce it for the entire playground to see

Roclat
2013-04-01, 03:44 PM
I did that a lot with my rog/fighter. 10 attacks at 10d6 sneak attack+Flick of the wrist=piles of dice. It's NEVER unsatisfying, I can assure you.

Immabozo
2013-04-01, 04:19 PM
I did that a lot with my rog/fighter. 10 attacks at 10d6 sneak attack+Flick of the wrist=piles of dice. It's NEVER unsatisfying, I can assure you.

flick of the wrist = the greatest rouge feat ever!

danzibr
2013-04-01, 05:46 PM
I've made characters I ended up being very dissatisfied with.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-01, 05:59 PM
Especially in 4E. I can't even remember the name of any 4E character I played. I don't know if it's that they weren't memorable or I just repressed the memories.

Flame of Anor
2013-04-01, 10:33 PM
So last week, we orchestrated (by double crossing, although we stayed true to our original side, so triple crossing?)

No, that's just double crossing. Single-crossing (a.k.a. defection) is where you switch sides, and double-crossing is where you switch sides twice. People often use "double-crossing" to mean switching sides once, which makes no sense and is very confusing.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-01, 10:38 PM
While that would make sense, it's actually not the case; to double cross is essentially synonymous with "to betray."

EDIT: If you were wondering, the term originates from the fact that "cross" referred to unfair deals, swindling, cheating, and so on. A "double cross," originally, was when one of the swindlers cheats his or her fellow swindlers, thereby "crossing" the "crossers" in a "double cross." Or, at least, that's the general idea of the etymology, going back to the eighteenth century.

Fates
2013-04-01, 10:46 PM

One of my characters recently accidentally incinerated forty + slaves he was trying to free, then sacrificed his hand to the eldritch god that the whole campaign was centered on vanquishing in order to bring them back. Not his finest moment.

TuggyNE
2013-04-01, 11:12 PM
No, that's just double crossing. Single-crossing (a.k.a. defection) is where you switch sides, and double-crossing is where you switch sides twice. People often use "double-crossing" to mean switching sides once, which makes no sense and is very confusing.

It may be clearest to use "agent" instead: a (single) agent is someone who works for a side, probably secretly, but their cover is merely someone unaffiliated with that side or any other; a double agent is someone who works for one side but pretends to work for another, as cover; a triple agent is someone pretending to be pretending to work for one side and actually work for another, while actually working for the initial side (usually). And so on and so forth.

And yes, as it happens, double-crossing and double-agents are basically congruent.

Flame of Anor
2013-04-01, 11:36 PM
One of my characters recently accidentally incinerated forty + slaves he was trying to free, then sacrificed his hand to the eldritch god that the whole campaign was centered on vanquishing in order to bring them back. Not his finest moment.

I don't know, it's a pretty big screwup but it sounds like magnificent roleplaying.

Immabozo
2013-04-02, 12:57 AM
It may be clearest to use "agent" instead: a (single) agent is someone who works for a side, probably secretly, but their cover is merely someone unaffiliated with that side or any other; a double agent is someone who works for one side but pretends to work for another, as cover; a triple agent is someone pretending to be pretending to work for one side and actually work for another, while actually working for the initial side (usually). And so on and so forth.

And yes, as it happens, double-crossing and double-agents are basically congruent.

"Agent" does simplify things