PDA

View Full Version : Damage optimizing

dantiesilva
2013-04-01, 12:24 AM
I was just woundering as I had just rolled an attack that dealt 455 damage in one turn if at level 14 as a cleric could you get it any higher with a str of 12 naturally without using righteous might as it had been stolen from me on my last turn from a spelltheif. With only core books And no rounds to buff, I want to see what people can come up with assuming the AC of the creature is loww 30's

Private
2013-04-01, 06:49 AM
Personally, I'd like to know how you did it before I put a ton of effort into doing it.

ddude987
2013-04-01, 08:24 AM
I can't see how you did that either... here is all I could think of

weapon: two-handed x4 crit weapon
Spells: have divine power buff
Feats: Power Attack

PA for 14, 1d10 for damage, 1 from strength
(28+10+1)x4 = 156 damage

still not nearly enough though...

dantiesilva
2013-04-01, 10:34 AM
I have magebane and Holy on my weapons and I scored a crit. That much damage is from 3 attacks so 151 damage per attack give or take. And thanks to my DM he just informed me that I missed on a 42.....So I only dealth around 151 damage....

Slipperychicken
2013-04-01, 11:49 AM
I have magebane and Holy on my weapons and I scored a crit. That much damage is from 3 attacks so 151 damage per attack give or take. And thanks to my DM he just informed me that I missed on a 42.....So I only dealth around 151 damage....

IIRC, extra effects don't multiply on a critical. Only the weapons' dice, static bonuses, and anything specifically stated otherwise.

Karnith
2013-04-01, 11:59 AM
IIRC, extra effects don't multiply on a critical. Only the weapons' dice, static bonuses, and anything specifically stated otherwise.
You are substantially correct. Per the SRD: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#criticalHits)

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.
(Emphasis mine)

So the extra damage dice from the holy and magebane weapon properties would not be multiplied.

rweird
2013-04-01, 02:34 PM
I was just woundering as I had just rolled an attack that dealt 455 damage in one turn if at level 14 as a cleric could you get it any higher with a str of 12 naturally without using righteous might as it had been stolen from me on my last turn from a spelltheif. With only core books And no rounds to buff, I want to see what people can come up with assuming the AC of the creature is loww 30's

I am almost certain Magebane isn't from core. If your asking the playground to do something like that with only core, I suppose, here goes.

Divine Power, Divine Favor, PA for 14 with a +1 flaming burst scythe (+4 from GMW using bead of karma) of speed in two hands.

2d4 (8)+6+4+3+28=49
Crit for *4, meaning 42*4+4d10 (40)=236
Four hits for 236 a piece=944.

This has a really low chance of happening (requires so many natural 20s its a 1/160,000 chance assuming you can auto-confrim critical hits, so while highly unlikely, this is possible).

Of course, this is with buffs (though they could be pre-battle buffs), without buffs, it'd be a lot harder in core as a cleric like that, I suppose SoDing a creature with a bunch of health effectively deals more damage.

If your DM is okay with you spending all your WBL on a single item, you could add shocking burst for an extra 160 for a grand total of 1104 damage.

I won't do math for unbuffed though. Also, fighting something with immunity to critical hits means its more like 276 damage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-01, 02:40 PM
Core only:
Metamagic Rod of Empower, standard Strand of Prayer Beads with Smiting removed, two 6th level Pearl of Power, Fire or Sun domain.
Activate the Bead of Karma, cast Empowered Fire Seeds (berry bombs). Use a pearl to recover it and repeat, 24 berry bombs. Give them all the same command word to detonate, put them all in a pouch. Drop or toss it into the center of four opponents, and detonate it.
It deals twenty-four times (1d8+18)x1.5, for an average of 810 damage to each of four creatures, or 3240 damage.