PDA

View Full Version : optimizing damage with one handed weapon

Devronq
2013-04-01, 01:48 AM
So what are the best ways to optimize damage using a one handed weapon? Preferably not using psionics or sneak attack damage. (It doesn't matter what is in your other hand whether its sword and bord or twf or nothing)

Rubik
2013-04-01, 02:18 AM
So what are the best ways to optimize damage using a one handed weapon? Preferably not using psionics or sneak attack damage. (It doesn't matter what is in your other hand whether its sword and bord or twf or nothing)The best way to optimize a one-handed weapon is to use it in two hands. Power Attack, charging, etc.

'struth!

I know it's not entirely the intent of this thread to cover this, but basically there's no way to make using a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other anywhere near as effective as having something in your off-hand...

...though I suppose if you use the other hand for spellcasting, THAT could be doable.

But then it's not really the intent of the question.

Norin
2013-04-01, 02:29 AM
How about a gish or duskblade with arcane strike and/or arcane channeling?

That helps when you are stuck with a 1h.

Andion Isurand
2013-04-01, 02:43 AM
An ubercharger build with Lion Totem Barbarian (w/ Whirling Frenzy ACF) could serve you well.
Then combine it with one level of Exotic Weapons Master with the Uncanny Blow option selected... so the character can use an exotic one-handed weapon in two hands... and add 2x their Strength modifier to damage rolls... and treat the weapon as a two-handed weapon for the purpose of using Power Attack.
Adding 2 levels in Ranger (w/ Arcane Hunter ACF) to gain Arcanists as a favored enemy could also help you if you're a mundane, for then you could take the Favored Power Attack feat as your ranger combat style feat and get a 3:1 damage to penalty ratio when using the Power Attack feat against your favored enemies.
Leap attack is also other feat worth looking into for an ubercharger build, which doubles the damage gained from using Power Attack when successfully jumping down on an enemy during a charge.
In addition, you could choose to be a half-orc, so you can take both the half-orc and orc paragon classes for a total of +4 strength... and gain access to the Headlong Rush racial feat which doubles damage dealt with a charge attack.
You could even go for Dragonborn Water Orc ( +4 str, -2 dex, +4 con, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha) to gain a flight speed and lose your light sensitivity at the same time (and still take the Orc paragon class for an additional +2 strength and qualify for the Headlong Rush feat). Being dragonborn would give you a dive attack that functions like a charge and deals double damage if you're using a piercing weapon. Mechanically speaking (though not thematically) the elven thinblade would be an ideal choice for this situation, given that it is a one-handed exotic weapon that deals piercing damage and can be used in two hands.

Averis Vol
2013-04-01, 02:46 AM
Well, it probably starts with three levels of swashbuckler, a rapier, and a really high str and int. from there build exactly like a 2hander but only use a one handed weapon. I do not believe, sadly, that it will be anywhere near as competent without some form of extra damage (Sneak attack+craven, etc), and even so with 3.5 being the unbalanced mess it is you could always do it better with a greatsword. I know this isn't constructive advice and I apologize for that, but sadly its the truth; who thought there would be so much disparity within the "mundane" subtype?

ArcturusV
2013-04-01, 05:00 AM
Iajutsu Master?

Okay, possibly lumped in with "Sneak Attack", but it applies, particularly since the skill is used only with a weapon that is one handed.

Course the other one handed decent damage source would be charging mounted lance work.