PDA

View Full Version : The Temple of Elemental Evil (AD&D 1e)

GamerJB
2013-04-01, 06:23 AM
"A sinister force, long thought destroyed, stirs from the black hole that spawned it. Like an ebony darkness it prowls the land and safety is but an illusion, for it watches from every shadow and ponders possibilities." - from back cover of the module

Welcome everyone to the "Ultimate Campaign Adventure" where I hope we will have days of fun exploring, role-playing, and killing monsters together. Add so let us begin.

Your party is now approaching the Village of Hommlet, having ridden up from lands of the Wild Coast. You are poorly mounted, badly equipped, and have no large sum of cash. In fact, all you have is what you wear and what you ride, plus a few coins that are hidden in purses and pockets. What you do possess in quality though, is daring and desire to become wealthy and famous. Thus your group comes to Hommlet to learn. Is this indeed a place for adventurers to seek their fortunes? You all hope, of course, to gain riches and a name for yourselves. The outcome of this is uncertain, but your skill and daring, along with a good measure of luck, will be the main ingredients of what follows, be it for weal or woe.

The small community at the crossroads is a completely unknown quantity. What is there? Who will be encountered? Where should you go? These are your first explorations and encounters, so chance may dictate as much as intelligence. Will outsiders be shunned? Are the reports true - is the whole community engaged in evil practices? Are the folk here bumpkins, easily duped? Does a curse lay upon those who dare venture into the lands which were once the Temple's? All these questions will soon be answered.

The dusty rutted road is lined with closely-grown hedges of brambles and shrubs. Here and there it cuts through a copse or crosses a rivulet. To either hand, forest and meadow have given way to field and orchard. A small herd of kine graze nearby, and a distant hill is dotted with the wand stone chimneys with thin plumes of blue smoke rising from them. A road angles west into hill country, and to either side of the road ahead are barns and buildings - Hommlet at last.

The adventure begins...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8102/8609871214_510aacb0be_b.jpg

Anything I put in quotes will be from the box text in the old module. I'll try and then add to that below the quotes.

Please post up a description of your character with your OP to give everyone an idea of what they look like (or add in your pic). Then Rp as a group deciding on where you'd like to go first.

VonLowe
2013-04-02, 11:51 AM
Nick leans his unstrung bow against a tree. Trained to string the huge monster in flash with a flick of foot and wrist he likes to save the bow the wear. Dropping down on a log at the base of the tree he grumbles as he pulls off his boot and chases a pebble that has worked its way in. "So friends, shall we make contact with the locals to get a lead on the man we've come to see or shall we set up camp first? An inn would be nice but coin runs low and we need supplies.

http://www.adamdiller.net/portfolio/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/archer-male-518x800.jpg

Abemad
2013-04-02, 01:18 PM
"Well I for one am in no mood for sleeping outside when there are other options..." Thrashius answers with a smile. Weighing his purse he adds "Besides, how much can a bunk be?"

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz1l0dPTrZ1r6dyzeo1_500.jpg

GamerJB
2013-04-03, 10:32 PM
OOC: Great Pics guys.

Receiving directions from a local leads yo to the only inn in town. The Inn of the Welcome Wench. It sits right off the main road you are traveling on and has an easy to find sign...

The square wooden sign shows a buxom and smiling girl holding a flagon of beer. This must be the Inn of the Welcome Wench, a place renowned for its good food and excelent drink! Passing merchants make a point of stopping, as do many other sorts of wayfarers, and it is said that the place is always filled with patrons.

A stable is connected to the west side of the large three story building.

VonLowe
2013-04-04, 07:37 AM
Nick nods at the sign and winks at Thrashius, "Just what the cleric ordered eh?"After stabling the horses the two move inside.

GamerJB
2013-04-06, 11:00 AM
A wash of cook smoke, merriment, and the smell of ale wash over you as you open the door to the Welcome Wench.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8115/8625160694_378374b453.jpg

This large place is bright and cheerful. It contains several rough-hewn tables and chairs, boards and benches. Natural tree trunk pillars support the ceiling overhead, all dark with smoke and age. A motley group of people is here.

After finding a table a large older women comes up smiling. "And be welcome good sirs! What may I do for you?" she asks still smiling.

VonLowe
2013-04-07, 11:50 AM
"Ahh we would love a bowl of warm water and a rag or two to wipe the dust of the road off. An Ale for me along with some eternal soup and a leg of mutton. if you please"

Abemad
2013-04-07, 01:17 PM
"An ale for me as well, and some mutton sounds good".

GamerJB
2013-04-15, 04:34 PM
The meal you are served is good after the days of trail rations and rabbit. People have come and gone but the crowd has stayed lively, and now as you throw down some fine drinks you are approached by two other patrons who have the look of the wandering adventure about them.

"Greetings most honored sirs. My name is Turuko and my big silent friend here is Kobort." the smaller and younger of the two men says by way of introduction. He has the look of a Bakluni from the far west lands of the Flanaess. His hulking friend could be a frost barbarian of the Stonefist.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8653597310_c84c12c9d2.jpg

"We could not help but notice that you both look like you can handle yourselves. Me and Kobort have been waiting for someone to come along who could join us in exploring the old moat house in the swamplands east of here. Would the two of you be interested in something like that?"

No newbies maybe after everyone sees what fun we are having that may change. Guess two players and two NPCs will do for now.

VonLowe
2013-04-16, 07:57 AM
Nick smiles and bows slightly, "Welcome friends please sit. We were sent to deliver a message but once that is done we will be happy to join you."

(OOC: If memory serves we were sent to deliver a message to a merchant right?)

Nick motions for the Barmaid to bring more ale for his new friends.

Abemad
2013-04-17, 01:02 PM
"Sounds interesting, but I'd want to know more before agreeing to anything"

GamerJB
2013-04-17, 06:37 PM
Taking a seatt Turuko bows as he seats himself. Kobort plops down hard in the chair and it groans under his weight and armor. "Good sirs for your offer of help in exploring the old keep we would share all treasures equally. Half for the two of us and half for the two of you."

The serving girl comes around taking empty platters and returning with full mugs (two for Kobort, who downs the first quickly) and a cup of water for Turuko.

The young monk continues, "We would like to leave in the morning if you believe you can deliver your letter tonight, or before dawn then all should be well for both parties."

Not sure myself was probably an idea I threw out. The letter would be for the Rannos Davl. And maybe a stop for buying anything you think you might want before venturing out.

Nick could set some traps before reaching the moathouse and then check them on the way back to town. Two birds one stone and all that.

VonLowe
2013-04-20, 05:34 PM
When the Barmaid returns nick asks about where to find Rannos Davl, that we were asked to deliver a letter from a family member.

Abemad
2013-04-21, 02:11 PM
"Seems like a fair enough deal, can you tell us anything about the moathouse itself? I'd prefer to know what i'd be dealing with"

GamerJB
2013-04-21, 10:51 PM
The barmaid gives Nick a smile, "That's across the creek just north of the Wench." she says taking away Kobort's empty mug. "The building on the right after crossing the bridge."

After the barmaid leaves Turuko continues. "It is said that the place is run down and invested with vermin. Rats, snakes, and spiders I would imagine."

He takes a sip of his water and adds, "I have heard that there are crypts under the structure that few have explored, having fled before they ventured to deep into the darkness. Whatever is down there I am sure Kobort, along with your assistance, can handle it."

The large man just grunts and continues to drink.

VonLowe
2013-04-30, 01:48 PM
After they finish their meal Nick tells their two new friends he will be right back and goes to deliver the message with Thrashius.

Nick smiles at Thrashius as they walk;
"I sure hope this guy is home so we can get back to our Ale soon."

GamerJB
2013-05-01, 11:57 PM
After crossing the creek you find the trading post and it's shuttered windows. The front door is bathed in an orange light so the place must still be open.

Outside the door, a shield and lantern are suspended from chains. The shield is painted showing a sword and a cheese. This is the local trading post, wherein a merchant apparently provides for the needs of villagers, travelers, and adventures alike.

Steeping inside the smell of new leather mixes with fresh produce and sharp cheeses.

Two men stand near a table looking over a collection of oddities strewn about it. Belts, boots, and a collection of weapons seem to be the bulk of these items.

VonLowe
2013-05-02, 06:59 AM
Nick glances at Thrashius and lowers his hood. He clears his throat as he knocks gently on the door frame.

Excuse the interruption gentlemen but we were looking for a Rannos Davl. We have a letter for him of some import.

GamerJB
2013-05-06, 10:50 PM
Rannos Davl is a short man with a large paunch and nearly bald save for the hair around his ears. He grunts as he accepts the letter and fishes in his pocket to give each of you a silver.

He excuses himself to take his letter back to read in private and leaves you in the store front with his business partner Gremag (who is tall and thin the total opposite of Rannos).

"You boys new in town," he notes not truly asking a question. "Same as deem two there I wreck-in'." He says pointing to two other shoppers in the store.

OOC: That would be ExRelis and Eonas characters

Eonas
2013-05-07, 11:46 AM
Dathan turns around, an unassuming young man of average height, weight, and build. He wears monk's robes, and his black hair is mostly obscured by the robe's hood. His only striking feature, his deep dark eyes convey the impression of wisdom beyond his years.

Seeing the two other newcomers, he walks forward toward them and bows. "We have not met, I see. I am Dathan, come here to seek my fortune."

VonLowe
2013-05-08, 10:28 AM
Nick smiles, " Its an honor to meet you, I am Nick and this is Thrashius. We happen to be here for the same reason. We had been tasked to look into the moat house here if you are interested in joining us"

Eonas
2013-05-08, 11:00 AM
Daithan smiles. "Likewise. When will this exploration take place?"

GamerJB
2013-05-09, 03:24 PM
Thrashius just grunts a hello, but Gremag seems interested in your conversation.

"Braving the moathouse rh? Well then ye be need'n to be well prepared, look around, pool your resources for items a group might be need'n as they explore." he says rubbing his hands together slowly.

The gleam in his eye tells you he is eager for a sale.

VonLowe
2013-05-09, 06:50 PM
Nick smiles at the sales attempt, "And what would you have to offer a humble archer?"

(OOC:How many pelts have w accumulated on out journey?)

GamerJB
2013-05-11, 10:11 AM
Your collection of pelts has been spent - that equals your starting gold. You will be able to go out and set traps on your way to the moathouse, then pick up any animals trapped on your way back to town.

Not sure what cash you have left but since there is no magical items here you might just want to stock up on camping supplies.

Gremag smiles and indicates the common area with all it's equipment on tables or hanging from the ceiling. "Please look around," he says going back to the counter near the far wall. "We have everything the wandering traveler may need."

VonLowe
2013-05-11, 11:58 AM
Nick nods, "I think all we will need is 4 days of dry rations and 3 days of wet if you have them?"

GamerJB
2013-05-13, 06:22 PM
Gremag smiles again and starts gathering up some items and wraps a square of cheese in a white cloth. He pulls out a small burlap bag that holds dried meat and then says, "That will be forty-four silver stags."

Not sure where/if everyone is still around. Will give everyone another week to get on board before advancing to the moathouse.

Eonas
2013-05-13, 06:46 PM
Daithan only nods, quietly observing the exchange.