PDA

View Full Version : Most AC for 7k?

zoobob9
2013-04-01, 11:29 AM
I'm building a new character and I have 7,000 gold left to spend. I also have 10 AC currently (two natural, -2 from size). What's the most I could get from the 7k? All sourcebooks are available.

Flickerdart
2013-04-01, 11:38 AM
Can you make custom items? A custom continuous item of Alter Self is only 6000gp at CL3, and can give you massive natural AC boosts if you shift into the right shape. (Edited: Got the math wrong, it's actually 12k, so a Phylactery of Changing or whatever from A&EG would be a better deal.)

Aside from that, +1 full plate (2650), +1 ring of protection (2000), +1 amulet of natural armor (2000) and heavy shield (pittance) get you +13 AC together.

zoobob9
2013-04-01, 11:42 AM
Can you make custom items? A custom continuous item of Alter Self is only 6000gp at CL3, and can give you massive natural AC boosts if you shift into the right shape.

Aside from that, +1 full plate (2650), +1 ring of protection (2000), +1 amulet of natural armor (2000) and heavy shield (pittance) get you +13 AC together.

I can do all of that but the heavy shield, since I'm two handing a weapon. The armor also has to be light, or medium and made of mithril. Sorry, I probably should have put that in the first post.

My first idea was a Mithril Banded Mail, which will give 7 AC for 7k. But that still puts me at really poor AC.

Divayth Fyr
2013-04-01, 11:51 AM
My first idea was a Mithril Banded Mail, which will give 7 AC for 7k. But that still puts me at really poor AC.
Wouldn't that cost over 9k (the SRD notes that heavy armor made from mithral cost 9k + whatever the armor costs normally)?

Randomguy
2013-04-01, 11:52 AM
I can do all of that but the heavy shield, since I'm two handing a weapon. The armor also has to be light, or medium and made of mithril. Sorry, I probably should have put that in the first post.

Banded Mail is heavy armour. You'd need a Mithril Breastplate.

Shining Wrath
2013-04-01, 11:54 AM
Wouldn't that cost over 9k (the SRD notes that heavy armor made from mithral cost 9k + whatever the armor costs normally)?

I think you're right. I had remembered it as 4000 GP, but that's for *medium*.

FACEPALM.

zoobob9
2013-04-01, 11:54 AM
Banded Mail is heavy armour. You'd need a Mithril Breastplate.

Yes, I meant breastplate. Whoops.

Darrin
2013-04-01, 11:55 AM

What's your Dex bonus?

Callin
2013-04-01, 11:56 AM
By all sourcebooks does that include 3rd party. If so then I can hook ya up

Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Dastana +1, Chahara-aina +1, and Spaulders (from Bastion Press Arms and Armor) gives you an armor bonus of +10 (the Dastana and Chahar-aina say they stack with base armor. The Spaulders add +1 to the base armor AC but reduce the Max dex by 2. The Spaulders specifically say that any enhancement bonus does not stack with them, the others do not. )

All Light or Med armor for just over 7k. You could get it to just over 6k if you ditch one of the +1's on the Dastana or Chahar-aina.

This all stacks because specific overrides the general rule.

zoobob9
2013-04-01, 12:00 PM
What's your Dex bonus?

+0

By all sourcebooks does that include 3rd party. If so then I can hook ya up

Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Dastana +1, Chahara-aina +1, and Spaulders (from Bastion Press Arms and Armor) gives you an armor bonus of +10 (the Dastana and Chahar-aina say they stack with base armor. The Spaulders add +1 to the base armor AC but reduce the Max dex by 2. The Spaulders specifically say that any enhancement bonus does not stack with them, the others do not. )

All Light or Med armor for just over 7k. You could get it to just over 6k if you ditch one of the +1's on the Dastana or Chahar-aina.

This all stacks because specific overrides the general rule.

I don't have Arms and Armor.

Roclat
2013-04-01, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at
Mithril Chain Shirt +1
Adamantine Dastana
Ring of Protection +1
Natural Armor +1
Cost 7125

Only coming to +8 and 1/- DR

Could -850 and make the Dastana +1 instead giving +9

ericgrau
2013-04-01, 12:33 PM
Potions of protection from evil give you +2 AC whenever you have a buff round, and even getting a few so you always have one costs only your pocket change. Then you drop the ring of protection and get +2 chain shirt. Sure your touch is sometimes lower when you don't get a buff round (and sometimes higher when you do) but not many foes target touch, especially at low level.

Total of +7 or +9 AC, with light armor, for 17 or 19 AC. That's a bit easy to hit. I'd look into full plate or dex, even if you have to switch around a couple ability scores or dip fighter. I'm guessing for your build str > con > dex > others now. Since armor cost id a big deal at huge size, you might look into half plate too, at least temporarily until +2 armor is no big deal, then make the jump from +0 half plate to +2 full plate. Unless you have a class feature requiring light armor, a dip is worth it for 4 AC.

I don't see the point of a mithril shirt when he doesn't seem to have a dex bonus.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-01, 01:20 PM
With no Dex bonus, the max dex of your armor will be irrelevant.

+1 Chain Shirt (+5 AC), 1,250 gp, making it mithral or any other material is absolutely unnecessary.
+1 Dastana (+2 AC), 1,175 gp, it has an enhancement bonus to its own bonus, and its own (total) bonus stacks with armor worn.
+1 Chahar-aina (+2 AC), 1,225 gp, again it has an enhancement bonus to its own bonus, which stacks with everything else. Note this counts as a medium armor piece for proficiency but doesn't slow you down. Masterwork alone makes its armor check penalty zero, so there are absolutely no drawbacks for nonproficiency.
That's a total +9 armor bonus for 3,650 gp.

Get a Ring of Protection +1 for another 2,000 gp.
Put a least Crystal of Adaptation (MIC) on one of your three armor pieces, its 500 gp and confers the benefits of Endure Elements.
Put a Restful Crystal (MIC) on your Chahar-aina, its 500 gp and allows you to sleep in it without the normal drawbacks of resting in medium armor.
You don't quite have enough for another (decent) armor crystal for your third armor piece, but you have 350 gp left over for a bunch of Psionic Tattoos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicTattoos.htm) of Force Screen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/forceScreen.htm).

Eman Resu
2013-04-01, 01:32 PM
some sort of invisibility wonderous item

Darrin
2013-04-01, 01:36 PM
+1 Chain Shirt (+5 AC), 1,250 gp, making it mithral or any other material is absolutely unnecessary.
+1 Dastana (+2 AC), 1,175 gp, it has an enhancement bonus to its own bonus, and its own (total) bonus stacks with armor worn.

The enhancement bonus from a Dastana and the Chain Shirt probably won't stack. The RAW on this is murky, but OA lists the +1 from the Dastana as an "armor bonus". While the description does say this stacks with an existing armor/shield bonus, most DMs will ixnay the enhancement bonus stacking with the base armor. You could argue the dastana is acting like a shield bonus (or stacking with a non-existent shield bonus), in which case the enhancement would stack, but you'll probably need to butter up the DM for a favorable ruling.

+1 Chahar-aina (+2 AC), 1,225 gp, again it has an enhancement bonus to its own bonus, which stacks with everything else. Note this counts as a medium armor piece for proficiency but doesn't slow you down. Masterwork alone makes its armor check penalty zero, so there are absolutely no drawbacks for nonproficiency.

Again, you're probably not going to get the enhancement bonus on this one to stack unless the DM is in a very good mood. Assuming you buffaloed him into buying the enhancement bonus from the Dastana stacking with the base armor, he's unlikely to buy that it stacks with the enhancement from the Chahar-Aina. Still, doesn't hurt to ask.

The other problem is there's no text anywhere that says the chahar-aina doesn't restrict movement. If it acts like any other kind of medium armor, it should. Whether it does or not... DM's call. If he says it counts as medium, you can probably throw Darkleaf on there to drop it down to light armor, but that'll cost +2250 GP.

Put a Restful Crystal (MIC) on your Chahar-aina, its 500 gp and allows you to sleep in it without the normal drawbacks of resting in medium armor.

No. Use the Restful property from Dungeonscape, same cost, same effect, but leaves your augment crystal slot free. Durable is also worth picking up for 500 GP (same book). Throw an Iron Ward Diamond in there if funds allow.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-01, 01:44 PM
The other problem is there's no text anywhere that says the chahar-aina doesn't restrict movement. If it acts like any other kind of medium armor, it should. Whether it does or not... DM's call. If he says it counts as medium, you can probably throw Darkleaf on there to drop it down to light armor, but that'll cost +2250 GP.

Oriental Adventures page 76, Table 5-9: New Armor, there's a set of 'Speed' columns. It has an entry of — for the Chahar-aina, exactly what's shown for the speed columns of any shields or other additions on this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm). So Chahar-aina definitely does not affect movement.

LTwerewolf
2013-04-01, 02:02 PM
Remember that one is technically a shield bonus, while the other is armor bonus. I believe it was the dastana that counted as a shield, but I don't recall off-hand.

Darrin
2013-04-01, 02:03 PM
Oriental Adventures page 76, Table 5-9: New Armor, there's a set of 'Speed' columns. It has an entry of — for the Chahar-aina, exactly what's shown for the speed columns of any shields or other additions on this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm). So Chahar-aina definitely does not affect movement.

And I was just staring at that chart... good catch, my good sir.

So, assuming your DM doesn't buy the "stacking" argument:

Chain Shirt +1, 1250 GP
MW Dastana, 175 GP
MW Chahar-Aina, 225 GP
Ring of Protection +1, 2000 GP
Amulet of Natural Armor +1, 2000 GP
Total: 5650 GP
AC Bonus: +9

Flickerdart
2013-04-01, 03:18 PM
What level are you, anyway? If you're level 10 or something, then 7k isn't going to cut it for meaningful AC when guys like the bebilith are swinging at you for +19 to-hit.

feyanor
2013-04-01, 03:25 PM
If you can ride you can buy a cheap mount ride it and use the "use mount as cover" option to get cover for an additional +4 AC.

Get Cover from Your Mount:
Because you and your mount share a space on the battlefield, you normally cannot claim cover from your mount. Whenever someone attacks you, however, you can attempt a DC 15 Ride check to claim cover from your mount. If you succeed, you get the benefit of cover (+4 to AC). According to the D&D FAQ, the cover benefit applies to all attacks made against you during the same place in the initiative order. If foes attack you several different times during a round, you must make a new Ride check to get cover from your mount against those attacks. You cannot claim cover while you're casting a spell or making any kind of attack.

Feralventas
2013-04-01, 06:40 PM
IIRC, you can diminish the cost by 40% by making the item require a specific Class and skill to use them, otherwise it's just a masterwork mundane item without them.

That can make your money go a lot further in terms of magical buffs.

ericgrau
2013-04-01, 06:50 PM
DM approval is required, not merely recommended, for custom items. The guidelines are there specifically to determine a fair price that is similar to existing items and trying to get a discount via drawbacks that aren't drawbacks go directly against that goal.

Mounts are often overlooked for being so confusing or supposedly requiring gold or feat investment, but they are great. Learn the mounted rules (see ride skill rules, mounted combat section of combat rules). You don't need any mounted feats or special purchases just grab a warhorse (either type) and some ride ranks. If he dies oh well his hp is cheaper than a cure potion; better him than you.

Eman Resu
2013-04-01, 07:41 PM
how much is it to have a few body guards? prolly the best money you can spend meat shields! In all seriousness they cant hit what they cant see, inviso anything?

prufock
2013-04-01, 08:36 PM
+1 chain shirt = +5 armor AC, 1250 gp

+1 buckler = +2 shield AC, 1165 gp, can be used with a 2-handed weapon

Wand of Alter Self = +6 natural AC (Troglodyte or ???), 4500 gp, half an hour per casting, however since you have a -2 size penalty to AC, I'm guessing you aren't humanoid (and troglodyte is too small). Check creature type for something with better natural armor than you.

(alternatively, Wand of Heroics for Combat Expertise = +5 AC)

Wagon = +4 AC (cover), 35 gp + 16 gp for 2 donkeys to pull it (or use a cart with 1 donkey, but wagons can carry more loot)

Total +15 AC (using Alter Self: Troglodyte or some other form with equivalent natural armor) or +16 AC (using Heroics: Combat Expertise) for 6966 gp

Hope I got all the math right.

NOTE: A 10% discount can be had with a high enough diplomacy check.
NOTE 2: The Wand of Heroics can also be used to get proficiency with medium/heavy armor (depending on if your DM allows multiple castings to be active at once). If your DM rules generously, tack on Improved Combat Expertise, Dodge, Expeditious Dodge, Shield Specialization, Shield Ward (for touch/flatfooted), Combat Panache (not technically AC, but attack penalty for your enemy), Mobility (for attacks of opportunity), and whatever other fighter bonus feats you can dig up. This will give you +20 or better.

Logic
2013-04-01, 09:28 PM
It seems a lot of people are forgetting that his inherent natural armor will not stack with a magical natural armor bonus.

If you're referring to the Amulet of Natural Armor, it provides an enhancement to existing natural armor, so yes they stack. If you're referring to Alter Self, you take the better of the values, so you just need to find something with better than +2.

Aha. After reading a few googled questions on the topic, it seems I am incorrect. I withdraw my complaint.

prufock
2013-04-01, 09:37 PM
It seems a lot of people are forgetting that his inherent natural armor will not stack with a magical natural armor bonus.

If you're referring to the Amulet of Natural Armor, it provides an enhancement to existing natural armor, so yes they stack. If you're referring to Alter Self, you take the better of the values, so you just need to find something with better than +2.

animewatcha
2013-04-01, 09:53 PM
Can give you what race/class your character is so that it can used to work around? Like, Large creatures require increased equipment prices to account for size. Double for unenchanted armor IIRC.

Person_Man
2013-04-02, 07:56 AM
Anyone have the Planar Handbook handy? I think Mechanus Gear is only around 1750 gp for +10 AC, and it only requires heavy armor proficiency.

You can also carry a Tower Shield for +4 AC and poorly defined cover. You can always just drop it as a free action if you want to make an attack. It may only be helpful during the Suprise Round and the first round of combat before you act, but an extra +2 AC for 30 gp is still helpful. (Or if you're a divine caster or Dragonfire Adept who doesn't need to make attack rolls, just carry it all of the time).

killem2
2013-04-02, 08:00 AM
Graceful allows no max dex bonus for any armor.

It is a +1 bonus. It is from those monte cook 3rd party books, swords and sorcery I think?

supermonkeyjoe
2013-04-02, 08:05 AM
With a -2 AC from size as stated in the OP that would make the character Huge sized, that would increase the base cost of any armour by X4 if they are humanoid, X8 for nonhumanoid: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm See the table under Armor for unusual creatures.

Muktidata
2013-04-02, 09:04 AM
Thaalud Stone Armor: heavy armor; cost 2,800 gp;armor bonus +12; max Dex bonus +0; armor check penalty–8; arcane spell failure 40%; speed 30 ft./20 ft., 20 ft./15ft.; weight 180 lb.
Dastana ~100
Chahar-Aina ~100
Buckler ~ 5

Make each of those +1. That's +19ac for just 6980.

Callin
2013-04-02, 09:08 AM
The Dastana and Chahara-aina are only able to be used with at best a Chain Shirt so that wont work.

prufock
2013-04-02, 11:01 AM
Anyone have the Planar Handbook handy? I think Mechanus Gear is only around 1750 gp for +10 AC, and it only requires heavy armor proficiency.

You can also carry a Tower Shield for +4 AC and poorly defined cover.

Thaalud Stone Armor: heavy armor; cost 2,800 gp;armor bonus +12; max Dex bonus +0; armor check penalty–8; arcane spell failure 40%; speed 30 ft./20 ft., 20 ft./15ft.; weight 180 lb.

OP requested light armors only, and wants to 2-hand his weapon. Dropping the tower shield is fine, but it eats a move action. If armor proficiency is a problem he'll need a wand of heroics or something.

With a -2 AC from size as stated in the OP that would make the character Huge sized, that would increase the base cost of any armour by X4 if they are humanoid, X8 for nonhumanoid: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm See the table under Armor for unusual creatures.

Luckily it only affects the base price of the armor, not the masterwork or magical qualities. Still more expensive, but it could be worse.

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-02, 12:56 PM
i might have smthing here but i lack the knowledge to make this work...
there is a process (which i dont know) to make magic / wondrous item...
for a continuus effect or at least 2-3 times per day at most how much would
such an item cost with a lvl4 (sor/wiz) in? with focus mats a 500g pearl and an
iron locket...
im talking about force armor from "the assassin handbook".

it is +8 Ac and because its a force effect, protects from incoporeal attacks too

smn do the math plz :)

TuggyNE
2013-04-02, 06:27 PM
Graceful allows no max dex bonus for any armor.

It is a +1 bonus. It is from those monte cook 3rd party books, swords and sorcery I think?

Seriously? That's amazingly stupid. :smallsigh:

Fable Wright
2013-04-02, 07:09 PM
While it's not technically AC, I'd recommend grabbing the Displacement enchantment from MiC instead of some of the 2k for +1 AC items. An extra 50% miss chance is easily worth 2 AC.

killem2
2013-04-02, 09:12 PM
Seriously? That's amazingly stupid. :smallsigh:

Yar.

I allow it in my sessions, I allow all 3rd party, (not homebrew like d&d wiki unless I read over it first), dragon, dungeon mag, 3rd 3dition if not updated to 3.5 and 3.5 books and all that.

Graceful really helps out melee classes lol.