PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Heroes in a half-shell, turtle power!

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone, I hope you all had a nice Easter... or if you aren't from a religion that celebrates it, had a god day.

Okay, now on subject, I'm looking for a couple of things.

1.) The only humanoid turtle I'm able to find is the Crucian in Sandstorm and I would like to know if there are others.
2.) If permanency is cast upon a human while they're in wererat form, will they stay in that form? If no, I would like to know a ratfolk (likely something from Oriental Adventures, it's fitting).
3.) What race would the shredder be? He'll be a Lawful Evil samurai either from the Complete Warrior or Oriental Adventures, I'm insure as to which is better.
4.) What could I use for (the) Krang? I know they tend to use a humanoid robot to get around in the cartoons.
5.) The Purple Dragons are the Foot Ninjas are both prominent groups in the series, the Foot are easy enough, humans with 5 or so levels in ninja, but the purple dragons are a bit tougher. They, as a street gang, all have various uses. Some are tough guys, some are sneaks.... Any ideas on how to do them?

I would like to thank you all ahead of time for this, I know it's a lot to ask for.

COWABUNGA!

hamishspence
2013-04-01, 11:36 AM
Oriental Adventures Samurai is better.

chronomatophobe
2013-04-01, 11:40 AM
There's always Nezumi, which are just always rat people.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:41 AM
Oriental Adventures Samurai is better.

How so? I've not gotten to look through the Oriental book in a while so I've forgotten quite a bit about it.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:43 AM
There's always Nezumi, which are just always rat people.

They're in Oriental Adventures, right?

Callin
2013-04-01, 11:43 AM
Why Samurai so he can be as bad as the Third Movie?

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 11:44 AM
Hello everyone, I hope you all had a nice Easter... or if you aren't from a religion that celebrates it, had a god day.

1.) The only humanoid turtle I'm able to find is the Crucian in Sandstorm and I would like to know if there are others.
2.) If permanency is cast upon a human while they're in wererat form, will they stay in that form? If no, I would like to know a ratfolk (likely something from Oriental Adventures, it's fitting).
3.) What race would the shredder be? He'll be a Lawful Evil samurai either from the Complete Warrior or Oriental Adventures, I'm insure as to which is better.
4.) What could I use for (the) Krang? I know they tend to use a humanoid robot to get around in the cartoons.
5.) The Purple Dragons are the Foot Ninjas are both prominent groups in the series, the Foot are easy enough, humans with 5 or so levels in ninja, but the purple dragons are a bit tougher. They, as a street gang, all have various uses. Some are tough guys, some are sneaks.... Any ideas on how to do them?

I would like to thank you all ahead of time for this, I know it's a lot to ask for.

COWABUNGA!

1.) Savage Species either has an anthropomorphic turtle, or could be used to generate one.
2.)...Permanency impacts spells, not were-rat transformations. So..nothing.
3.) He's human. The samurai you're referencing are both classes, not races. Not being familiar with either, I'd personally go with Fighter/Rogue and maybe tweak the skills a bit.Or Monk maybe. He never seemed very samurai to me, more, combat-focused ninja.
4.) I'd start with a large Construct of some kind.
5.) Tough guys fighter, sneaks rogues or higher level Ninjas.

Flickerdart
2013-04-01, 11:46 AM
1) I believe Savage Species provides rules for anthropomorphic turtles.
2) Permanency does nothing when cast on lycanthropes, because lycanthropy is not a spell. However, nothing is stopping a natural lycanthrope from remaining in whatever form he wants indefinitely, and even an afflicted lycanthrope can control his form with the Control Shape skill.

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with Anthro, personally. I'd start with Lizardfolk as a base, get rid of the Natural Attacks, re-do the skill bonuses..and so on.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:50 AM
Why Samurai so he can be as bad as the Third Movie?

If not a Samurai, what would you suggest?
I like the third movie...

1.) Savage Species either has an anthropomorphic turtle, or could be used to generate one.
2.)...Permanency impacts spells, not were-rat transformations. So..nothing.
3.) He's human. The samurai you're referencing are both classes, not races. Not being familiar with either, I'd personally go with Fighter/Rogue and maybe tweak the skills a bit.Or Monk maybe. He never seemed very samurai to me, more, combat-focused ninja.
4.) I'd start with a large Construct of some kind.
5.) Tough guys fighter, sneaks rogues or higher level Ninjas.

Drats :/ I was hoping the permanency thing would work.
Human makes sense and I know Samurai's a class. Thank you for some other class ideas.
I'll start looking for consructs now.
I'll likely go with rogue for the sneaks. Thanks.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:53 AM
1) I believe Savage Species provides rules for anthropomorphic turtles.
2) Permanency does nothing when cast on lycanthropes, because lycanthropy is not a spell. However, nothing is stopping a natural lycanthrope from remaining in whatever form he wants indefinitely, and even an afflicted lycanthrope can control his form with the Control Shape skill.

♫Teenage Anthromorphic Ninja Turtles...♫ Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I wasn't aware they could stay in a particular shape for longer than a couple hours, thank you :smallsmile:

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with Anthro, personally. I'd start with Lizardfolk as a base, get rid of the Natural Attacks, re-do the skill bonuses..and so on.

Any ideas on what skills would be changed?

dysprosium
2013-04-01, 11:54 AM
There is also the tortle from the Red Steel campaign that was updated for 3.5 in Dragon 315 iirc. They are anthropomorphic turtles.
I second the nezumi (Oriental Adventures)
Krang seems to be some kind of aberration and you could use warforged as the robotic bodies.

Randomguy
2013-04-01, 11:55 AM
You could be a Were-Dire Tortoise in hybrid form for Turtle-Humanoid. Although you'd need to be really high level for that.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:58 AM
There is also the tortle from the Red Steel campaign that was updated for 3.5 in Dragon 315 iirc. They are anthropomorphic turtles.
I second the nezumi (Oriental Adventures)
Krang seems to be some kind of aberration and you could use warforged as the robotic bodies.

I don't have any access to the Dragon magazines :smallfrown:
Think it'd be possible to just use the head of a mindflayer? :smallbiggrin: I like the warforged idea.

You could be a Were-Dire Tortoise in hybrid form for Turtle-Humanoid.

Were-Dire tortoise? :smalleek: I've never even heard of it, where can I find this?

Chilingsworth
2013-04-01, 11:59 AM
Refluff an intellect devourer for Krang?
(just remove the ability to replace peoples' brains (and the need to do so)) and you'd be golden, I think.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 12:04 PM
Refluff an intellect devourer for Krang?
(just remove the ability to replace peoples' brains (and the need to do so)) and you'd be golden, I think.

Those are the brains with legs, right? I like them and this idea, thank you.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-01, 12:10 PM
Those are the brains with legs, right? I like them and this idea, thank you.

Yup, that's them. And you're welcome. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, if you ever get this all figured out, will you run a campaign based on it? If you run one on the forums, I'd definately be interested in joining.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 12:16 PM
Yup, that's them. And you're welcome. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, if you ever get this all figured out, will you run a campaign based on it? If you run one on the forums, I'd definately be interested in joining.

I won't have an entire campaign based around it, but it's going to be a rather large quest chain within a campaign.
've only ever ran campaigns in person, so running one in the forums would be a little weird to me. I'll start looking at how how they work though.

Flickerdart
2013-04-01, 12:32 PM
Were-Dire tortoise? :smalleek: I've never even heard of it, where can I find this?
You can make a lycanthrope out of any carnivorous or omnivorous creature. Dire Tortoises are a monster from Sandstorm that IIRC is omnivorous, and qualifies.

Callin
2013-04-01, 12:34 PM
Well shredder was mostly a brute with some unarmed skills. Maybe unarmed fighter? Add in a dash of Ronin.

(The third movie was just such a letdown to me and my bro. After the darker first and slightly worse second the third was just aimed to young for my taste.)

Dr_S
2013-04-01, 04:12 PM
You can make a lycanthrope out of any carnivorous or omnivorous creature. Dire Tortoises are a monster from Sandstorm that IIRC is omnivorous, and qualifies.

You could also use the MM rules to create like a basic sea turtle, as long as it's size appropriate, then use that as the base animal.

I wasn't aware they could stay in a particular shape for longer than a couple hours, thank you
Technically lycanthropes cannot speak in hybrid or animal form. This impacts casting, so before you do the same, consider the consequences, but I've house ruled for my settings that lycanthropes can speak in hybrid form. (A lot of this is because in my campaign are societies of entirely lycanthropes who are proud of who they are, and as such prefer hybrid form as it embraces both of their aspects.)

Also, I was asked to start a new pathfinder group and I too was going to take some inspiration from the turtles, I was going to make it less obvious because my group doesn't remember the first movie very well (I was going to invite them to watch it and see if it dawned on them after the fact) So I wasn't going to make the turtles actually turtles, but I was going to call their clan something like the japanese word for turtle or something.

I was thinking though, you think just straight ninjas for each? or how are you planning on emphasizing their individual aspects? I was thinking of maybe giving Donny a couple levels of alchemist since there's no tinker or "does machines" class and that seems appropriate in pathfinder, but ebberon has the artificer which might work, maybe give raph a level of barbarian just because he occasionally goes berserk.

The foot is cool too because in the movie they are recruiting the cities' youth, and so they span a large number of CR's the early recruits being level 1 ninjas, or even NPC class levels, then as the party levels you've got the longer term members the ones who got their red bandanas, and so on up the chain, until you get to shredder.

As for Shredder, remember Oroku Saki was Master Yoshi's rival in all things ninja... he's got to have at least some levels of ninja (though perhaps over the years he's replaced some because he's not been keeping up his skills as he rarely gets his hands dirty now)

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-01, 04:26 PM
Just wanted to point out that the fluff for crucians from Sandstorm is "desert crabs," not turtles. The requisite refluffing would be quite easy, though.

Good luck. Don't forget to have the Level 5 Expert (Journalist) chick in a bizarre yellow overalls setup follow them around and get into trouble.

ArcturusV
2013-04-01, 04:36 PM
Well, you could use Antropomorphic stuff, or could use Hengeyokai who are naturally locked in "Hybrid" form. Though they tend to have problems with finding the right animals for it off the list. So you'd have to do things like use the Crab stats for a Crocodile, Sparrow for Baxter Stockman, etc.

But hey, more options!

As for why the Oriental Adventures Samurai is better? Well it basically comes built in with a version of the Ancestral Relic feat, which is always good, though it only applies to the Katana and Wakizashi combo. And otherwise gets bonus feats (Chosen from a specific list based on clan affiliation). It's basically worse than a fighter at all but first level, and only in that case because at first level you have Masterwork Weapons over the fighter, and the lack of Armor Prof: Heavy doesn't hurt you because no one can really afford heavy armor anyway.

But that wouldn't be a good match for Shredder. He doesn't have the Ancestral Daisho thing going for him. I'd choose something like a Thug variant Fighter (From Unearthed Arcana, so it's open source online), as something that would fit him a little better. He fights (When he fights) like a tougher rogue. Light armor, mobility, crippling strikes rather than just powerful RAEG blows.

The Viscount
2013-04-01, 04:41 PM
If you don't like lycanthrope or nezumi for Splinter, you could always go with rat hengeyokai for stats and have him never shift. For the Purple Dragon, perhaps some thug fighters or streetfighters mixed in with rogues. At high enough levels, the nightsong enforcer might work.

Shining Wrath
2013-04-01, 04:48 PM
Samurai have a code of honor. Shredder has a very distinct lack of same.

For him I'd start with LE Monk and add some Assassin.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-01, 05:00 PM
Good luck. Don't forget to have the Level 5 Expert (Journalist) chick in a bizarre yellow overalls setup follow them around and get into trouble.

April O'neil. And I don't think she'd be level 5, more like 2 or 3

I also don't think a basic footclan thug would be ninja 5 - having 5 levels of any combat-focused class would put each one of them at the world-class level of martial artist. This doesn't ring true. At the most basic level, Casey Jones the street fighter can easily take on 4-6 of em, which would make him level 9 at the lowest. Sounds a bit off to me.

Ninja 1 or 2 makes more sense. That would give them better combat ability than the average person, and much better skills, but they'd still be beaten in droves by the level 6-8 Turtles.

Dr_S
2013-04-01, 06:51 PM
Ninja 1 or 2 makes more sense. That would give them better combat ability than the average person, and much better skills, but they'd still be beaten in droves by the level 6-8 Turtles.
Also depends, movie or cartoon. In the Cartoon they were robots or some such nonsense... in the movie though, most were just highschool kids, so just an NPC class even, but they had a hierarchy so many might have as many as 5 levels, just only like 1 out of every 20 or so.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 07:11 PM
Well shredder was mostly a brute with some unarmed skills. Maybe unarmed fighter? Add in a dash of Ronin.

(The third movie was just such a letdown to me and my bro. After the darker first and slightly worse second the third was just aimed to young for my taste.)

How do unarmed fighters work, and Ronin's in OA, right?

*snip*
I was thinking though, you think just straight ninjas for each? or how are you planning on emphasizing their individual aspects? I was thinking of maybe giving Donny a couple levels of alchemist since there's no tinker or "does machines" class and that seems appropriate in pathfinder, but ebberon has the artificer which might work, maybe give raph a level of barbarian just because he occasionally goes berserk.

The foot is cool too because in the movie they are recruiting the cities' youth, and so they span a large number of CR's the early recruits being level 1 ninjas, or even NPC class levels, then as the party levels you've got the longer term members the ones who got their red bandanas, and so on up the chain, until you get to shredder.

As for Shredder, remember Oroku Saki was Master Yoshi's rival in all things ninja... he's got to have at least some levels of ninja (though perhaps over the years he's replaced some because he's not been keeping up his skills as he rarely gets his hands dirty now)

For the turtles, I was thinking of putting a couple levels in barbarian for Raph (rage), bard or the jester PrC for Mikey, I'm unsure for Leo and Donnie though.
The ninja Idea, different ranks and levels, that's not something I'd have thought of, so thank you for bringing that up.
What classes would Shredder have other than ninja?

Well, you could use Antropomorphic stuff, or could use Hengeyokai who are naturally locked in "Hybrid" form. Though they tend to have problems with finding the right animals for it off the list. So you'd have to do things like use the Crab stats for a Crocodile, Sparrow for Baxter Stockman, etc.
*snip*
But that wouldn't be a good match for Shredder. He doesn't have the Ancestral Daisho thing going for him. I'd choose something like a Thug variant Fighter (From Unearthed Arcana, so it's open source online), as something that would fit him a little better. He fights (When he fights) like a tougher rogue. Light armor, mobility, crippling strikes rather than just powerful RAEG blows.

By Crocodile are you talking about Leatherhead? Baxter Stockman's the guy who made the mutagen, IIRC.
What he wears depends on what you're watching though. In the cartoons he always seems to have a lot of armor on him while in the movies he's basically just got the helmet, shoulder pieces, shin guards and bracers.

On that note, would a spiked gauntlet work for him?

If you don't like lycanthrope or nezumi for Splinter, you could always go with rat hengeyokai for stats and have him never shift. For the Purple Dragon, perhaps some thug fighters or streetfighters mixed in with rogues. At high enough levels, the nightsong enforcer might work.

Heneyokai sounds like a good idea.
Where can I find thug fighters?

April O'neil. And I don't think she'd be level 5, more like 2 or 3

I also don't think a basic footclan thug would be ninja 5 - having 5 levels of any combat-focused class would put each one of them at the world-class level of martial artist. This doesn't ring true. At the most basic level, Casey Jones the street fighter can easily take on 4-6 of em, which would make him level 9 at the lowest. Sounds a bit off to me.

I hadn't even thought of April or Casey. April would be a Journalist as previously stated, but what would Casey be, street fighter?
The ninja's should have scattered amounts of levels. Not all of them are going to be master ninjas because there are going to be initiates.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 07:14 PM
Also depends, movie or cartoon. In the Cartoon they were robots or some such nonsense... in the movie though, most were just highschool kids, so just an NPC class even, but they had a hierarchy so many might have as many as 5 levels, just only like 1 out of every 20 or so.

It also depends on which cartoon or movie as well.
There's been three different shows (90s, 2000s, modern) and two movie series (with a third in the making).

limejuicepowder
2013-04-01, 08:20 PM
I hadn't even thought of April or Casey. April would be a Journalist as previously stated, but what would Casey be, street fighter?
The ninja's should have scattered amounts of levels. Not all of them are going to be master ninjas because there are going to be initiates.

Thug fighters are from unearthed arcana - trade away level 1 bonus feat for 4+int skills per level and a slightly expanded skill list.

Casey Jones would definitely have fighter levels, but I'm not sure after that - his variety of weapons and high skill in different things says he can't just be a fighter (curse you WotC). My vote is for thug fighter 2 ranger 3, with favored enemy: human and two-weapon fighting combat style.

As for the turtles....

Leonardo: Marshal 1 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 5. Duel-katana is cruel to him rules-wise, might want to change it to duel shortswords and refluff them or something. Focus on tiger claw and white raven.

Donatello (my fav!): expert 2 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 3. Quarterstaff goodness. Diamond mind focus. In a higher-OP game switch out expert for factotum. Either way, kung-fu genius fits him well.

Raphael: whirling frenzy spirit lion barb 1 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 4. Tiger claw, iron heart. Probably extra rage as well.

Michelangelo: bard 1 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 3. Perform (comedy). Tiger claw, stone dragon.

All of them have 2 levels in unarmed swordsage. Focus on diamond mind and setting sun.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 08:37 PM
Thug fighters are from unearthed arcana - trade away level 1 bonus feat for 4+int skills per level and a slightly expanded skill list.

Casey Jones would definitely have fighter levels, but I'm not sure after that - his variety of weapons and high skill in different things says he can't just be a fighter (curse you WotC). My vote is for thug fighter 2 ranger 3, with favored enemy: human and two-weapon fighting combat style.

Sounds good to me.
What kind of stuff would he have on him? I'd imagine some form of mask, a "quiver" for his various weapons, a club for his bat and... sheesh, he's got a lot of stuff.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-01, 08:42 PM
Sounds good to me.
What kind of stuff would he have on him? I'd imagine some form of mask, a "quiver" for his various weapons, a club for his bat and... sheesh, he's got a lot of stuff.

In the 90's movie he had 2 baseball bats, a cricket bat, and a hockey stick. He also kicked some ass with a golf club. He carried it around in a golf bag, I think.

I wouldn't call his mask armor, probably a masterwork item for intimidate.

I also edited my post to include guesses at the turtles' classes.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 08:46 PM
*snip*
As for the turtles....

Leonardo: Marshal 1 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 5. Duel-katana is cruel to him rules-wise, might want to change it to duel shortswords and refluff them or something. Focus on tiger claw and white raven.

Donatello (my fav!): expert 2 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 3. Quarterstaff goodness. Diamond mind focus. In a higher-OP game switch out expert for factotum. Either way, kung-fu genius fits him well.

Raphael: whirling frenzy spirit lion barb 1 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 4. Tiger claw, iron heart. Probably extra rage as well.

Michelangelo: bard 1 unarmed swordsage 2 warblade 3. Perform (comedy). Tiger claw, stone dragon.

All of them have 2 levels in unarmed swordsage. Focus on diamond mind and setting sun.

This bit just popped up! Where can I find tiger claw, stonedragon, white raven, diamond mind focus, setting sun and factotum? Sorry for the long list, I've never heard of them

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 08:48 PM
In the 90's movie he had 2 baseball bats, a cricket bat, and a hockey stick. He also kicked some ass with a golf club. He carried it around in a golf bag, I think.

I wouldn't call his mask armor, probably a masterwork item for intimidate.

I also edited my post to include guesses at the turtles' classes.

FORE! I like the intimidation mask idea. Clubs could be used for the bats, as for the hockey stick and golf club, I haven't the slightest idea for what those would be converted to:smallfrown:
I saw that you edited it :smalltongue: I've just replied to that bit.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-01, 08:50 PM
This bit just popped up! Where can I find tiger claw, stonedragon, white raven, diamond mind focus, setting sun and factotum? Sorry for the long list, I've never heard of them

Factotum is a base class from dungeonscape. Besides having lots of skills, it gets ALL skills as class skills, and bonuses to basically everything based on intelligence. Makes for a very cerebral character, which I think fits Donatello.

All of that other stuff if from Tome of Battle - warblade, swordsage, and crusader are the base classes, and tiger claw (etc.) are the combat styles.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-01, 08:54 PM
FORE! I like the intimidation mask idea. Clubs could be used for the bats, as for the hockey stick and golf club, I haven't the slightest idea for what those would be converted to:smallfrown:
I saw that you edited it :smalltongue: I've just replied to that bit.

Yeah the bats would definitely be clubs. Hockey stick....probably same damage as a club, but it can trip. He also wields it two-handed, making it better for tripping and effectively do more damage than the bats. The cricket bat would probably be a great club, and the golf club....no idea :). Prolly call it a longsword, but change it's damage type to bludgeoning.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 08:57 PM
Factotum is a base class from dungeonscape. Besides having lots of skills, it gets ALL skills as class skills, and bonuses to basically everything based on intelligence. Makes for a very cerebral character, which I think fits Donatello.

All of that other stuff if from Tome of Battle - warblade, swordsage, and crusader are the base classes, and tiger claw (etc.) are the combat styles.

I'm going to look at both books now, thank you for giving me the titles (and the class help!).

Yeah the bats would definitely be clubs. Hockey stick....probably same damage as a club, but it can trip. He also wields it two-handed, making it better for tripping and effectively do more damage than the bats. The cricket bat would probably be a great club, and the golf club....no idea :). Prolly call it a longsword, but change it's damage type to bludgeoning.

So two clubs, a club that can trip for slightly more damage, a great club, and a longsword that bludgeons. Sounds easy enough :smallbiggrin:
Something tells me he's going to go clubbing. Because he has clubs... I'll stop now.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-01, 08:59 PM
I'm going to look at both books now, thank you for giving me the titles (and the class help!).

No prob

So two clubs, a club that can trip for slightly more damage, a great club, and a longsword that bludgeons. Sounds easy enough :smallbiggrin:
Something tells me he's going to go clubbing. Because he has clubs... I'll stop now.

Yikes that was bad...hehe

I was saying the hockey stick would still do 1d6 base damage, it would just end up doing more damage than the bat typically because of the two-handed use (1.5x str, better power attack).

Chilingsworth
2013-04-01, 09:12 PM
Here's a thought: give Krang artificer levels. The Donatello from the 90's cartoon might have artificer levels as well.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 09:13 PM
Yikes that was bad...hehe

I was saying the hockey stick would still do 1d6 base damage, it would just end up doing more damage than the bat typically because of the two-handed use (1.5x str, better power attack).

I know, but it was worth it.
Makes sense to me, thank you for explaining though :smallsmile:

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 09:15 PM
Here's a thought: give Krang artificer levels. The Donatello from the 90's cartoon might have artificer levels as well.

Where can I find the artificer class?

Man on Fire
2013-04-01, 09:25 PM

3) Honestly, I would suggest something better than Samurai, because it's weak class and last thing you want is to make Shredder look like a b***h (unless that's 80s cartoon Shredder). I would rather suggest Tome of Battle's Swordage or Warblade.
Also, for race - human, Shredder is straight human, which makes him a good contrast for the Turtles. the exception is 2003 cartoon, where
Shredder is basically an alien in robot body, think of him as Krang only uber evil. In which case I say go cray and make him beholder

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 09:34 PM
3) Honestly, I would suggest something better than Samurai, because it's weak class and last thing you want is to make Shredder look like a b***h (unless that's 80s cartoon Shredder). I would rather suggest Tome of Battle's Swordage or Warblade.
Also, for race - human, Shredder is straight human, which makes him a good contrast for the Turtles. the exception is 2003 cartoon, where
Shredder is basically an alien in robot body, think of him as Krang only uber evil. In which case I say go cray and make him beholder

Human seems to be the general consensus and samurai's out of the question it would appear. I'll look into both of those classes.
He was an alien known as an Utrom. Completely evil, as you said. I watched every episode and the "Fast Forward" spin-off. Also, they had a movie for their 30th anniversary where the 80s met the one we're talking about.

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 10:20 PM
Lizardfolk stats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lizardfolk.htm)

Skills
Because of their tails, lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Jump, Swim, and Balance checks. The skill modifiers given in the statistics block include a -2 armor check penalty (-4 on Swim checks) for carrying a heavy shield.

Let's swap out Jump for Knowledge (Dungeoneering) since they live in the sewers.

Lizardfolk As Characters
Lizardfolk characters possess the following racial traits.

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
Medium size.
A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A lizardfolk begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +0.
Racial Skills: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Jump, and Swim. Lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
Racial Feats: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.
+5 natural armor bonus.
Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
Special Qualities (see above): Hold breath.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Druid.
Level adjustment +1.
1.) Let's go with +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha.
2.) Class skills again Balance, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), and Swim.
3.) Let's say no natural attacks, Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat instead?
4.) Let's stick with Hold Breath. They're turtles!
5.) Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus: Aquan.
6.) Favored Class: Monk

-----
I'd say alignments as follows:
Splinter: LG
Leo: LG
Raphael: CG (maybe CN)
Mike: NG/CG
Donatello NG/N

I mostly know the 80s/90s tv show and movies so that's based on those characteristics. As far as class levels, if we stick to the 11 core, since that's what I'm familiar with, I'd go with this setup (I only went to ECL 9).

Splinter: Monk 6.
Leo: Monk 2/Paladin 4, or more likely Monk 2/TWF Ranger4 with Bastard swords (Paladin would be a little more true to character, but Ranger lets him still associate with Raph, and gives him TWF without pre-reqs)
Raphael: Ex-Monk 2/Barbarian 4 (He has martial discipline, but is prone to outbursts)
Mike: Monk 2/Fighter 4? Maybe Ex-Monk/Bard 4 with various perform (nunchaku) related skills? Nothing really stand out atm.
Don: Monk 2/Cleric 4 Artifice & Creation Domains.

Everyone has Monk 2 to get Evasion, and Monk honestly isn't that great.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 10:34 PM
Lizardfolk stats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lizardfolk.htm)

Let's swap out Jump for Knowledge (Dungeoneering) since they live in the sewers.

1.) Let's go with +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha.
2.) Class skills again Balance, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), and Swim.
3.) Let's say no natural attacks, Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat instead?
4.) Let's stick with Hold Breath. They're turtles!
5.) Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus: Aquan.
6.) Favored Class: Monk

-----
I'd say alignments as follows:
Splinter: LG
Leo: LG
Raphael: CG (maybe CN)
Mike: NG/CG
Donatello NG/N

I mostly know the 80s/90s tv show and movies so that's based on those characteristics. As far as class levels, if we stick to the 11 core, since that's what I'm familiar with, I'd go with this setup (I only went to ECL 9).

Splinter: Monk 6.
Leo: Monk 2/Paladin 4, or more likely Monk 2/TWF Ranger4 with Bastard swords (Paladin would be a little more true to character, but Ranger lets him still associate with Raph, and gives him TWF without pre-reqs)
Raphael: Ex-Monk 2/Barbarian 4 (He has martial discipline, but is prone to outbursts)
Mike: Monk 2/Fighter 4? Maybe Ex-Monk/Bard 4 with various perform (nunchaku) related skills? Nothing really stand out atm.
Don: Monk 2/Cleric 4 Artifice & Creation Domains.

Everyone has Monk 2 to get Evasion, and Monk honestly isn't that great.

I like the idea of swapping out jump for Knowledge (Dungeoneering). With all the classes they'll be using, they'll get plenty of skills to help them out.
How does hold breath work?

EDIT: WAIT, I JUST SAW THE LATEST BIT YOU PUT IN!!

I like the alignments and class ideas you've got listed for Splinter and the Turtles. Shouldn't they have a couple levels in ninja though?

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 10:40 PM
Hold breath is in the lower section of the lizardfolk statblock.

Also, I'm sure there's someone out there who could do a better job statting them out, or using the ToB classes. I stuck with the basics because 1.) it's what I know, and 2.) since you're not familiar with the Artificer or ToB classes like Swordsage, I'm guessing you're new to d&d?

Waspinator
2013-04-01, 10:41 PM
I would honestly consider just treating them stat-wise as humans. It never seemed to me like the fact they were turtles instead of humans mattered too much in how they fought.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 10:43 PM
Hold breath is in the lower section of the lizardfolk statblock.

Also, I'm sure there's someone out there who could do a better job statting them out, or using the ToB classes. I stuck with the basics because 1.) it's what I know, and 2.) since you're not familiar with the Artificer or ToB classes like Swordsage, I'm guessing you're new to d&d?

Okay, I see it now.

I'm relatively new to it. I started playing about five years ago, but only recently started hearing about classes outside of both players handbooks. I appreciate having suggestions for the regular classes, so thank you for this.

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 10:45 PM
I would honestly consider just treating them stat-wise as humans. It never seemed to me like the fact they were turtles instead of humans mattered too much in how they fought.

1.) Shell-bashing (though, there's no really effective way to do that in d&d that I can think of)
2.) TMNT 2 they end up having to do some swimming, hold breath is probably relevant.
3.) No Natural armor means you're more likely to have turtles in armor, which seems silly.

That said, using Human stats is totally doable, and that's probably what I would do for Splinter.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 10:45 PM

My only thought against that is their height and their shells. I visualize them closer to a elf height with and with some form of natural AC bonus due to their shells

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 10:47 PM
Hence the natural armor.
You could also look into Warforged and make it an actual armor bonus so they *can't* wear armor, but that gets weird.

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 10:52 PM
oh, and I went with Monk over Ninja due to no familiarity with the Ninja base class myself. :)

Shredder I'd go something like Monk 2/Fighter 2/Rogue 2, off the cuff.

These aren't really intended to be optimized, just to get the "feel" right.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 10:55 PM
oh, and I went with Monk over Ninja due to no familiarity with the Ninja base class myself. :)

Shredder I'd go something like Monk 2/Fighter 2/Rogue 2, off the cuff.

These aren't really intended to be optimized, just to get the "feel" right.

I like the idea of using monk. If you would like to check out the Ninja class, check out the book Complete Adventurer.

jebbewocky
2013-04-01, 11:01 PM
Shredder is a bit awkward because he plainly has some form of armor, or not medium or heavy armor depending on depiction, so that would take Monk right out, but I don't really remember him doing any attacks except punches and kicks and a heavily armored unarmed guy is one of the things 3.5 does not..really do at all.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:13 PM
Shredder is a bit awkward because he plainly has some form of armor, or not medium or heavy armor depending on depiction, so that would take Monk right out, but I don't really remember him doing any attacks except punches and kicks and a heavily armored unarmed guy is one of the things 3.5 does not..really do at all.

Shredder's overly complicated :smallannoyed:
I've heard of an "unarmed fighter" class. Somebody mentioned it in one of the previous comments.
Either way, I thank you for the help.

Metahuman1
2013-04-01, 11:13 PM
I'd suggest the Superior Unarmed Strike feat form Tome of Battle + Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed strike, and possibly the Jotuenbrod Feat form one of the Faerun books.

That leaves him hitting like a large Monk.

There was another feat that I seem to recall let you use 1.5 times str on unarmed strikes. Grab that.

Now just give a couple of levels of Warblade and swordsage to give him maneuvers.

Congrats, you've mad Shredder dangerous in a melee combat.

gurgleflep
2013-04-01, 11:15 PM
I'd suggest the Superior Unarmed Strike feat form Tome of Battle + Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed strike, and possibly the Jotuenbrod Feat form one of the Faerun books.

That leaves him hitting like a large Monk.

There was another feat that I seem to recall let you use 1.5 times str on unarmed strikes. Grab that.

Now just give a couple of levels of Warblade and swordsage to give him maneuvers.

Congrats, you've mad Shredder dangerous in a melee combat.

Would he be able to wear armor with few penalties if he multiclassed? Monks can't, but he (depending on what you're using for a source) wears anything from light to medium armor.

Malak'ai
2013-04-01, 11:55 PM
Swordsage lets you wear Light Armour.
Shredder also used a ōdachi a few times when he faced Leo, though he did fight unarmed more often.

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 12:05 AM
Swordsage lets you wear Light Armour.
Shredder also used a ōdachi a few times when he faced Leo, though he did fight unarmed more often.

Light armor is good, but what's an ōdachi?

Malak'ai
2013-04-02, 12:10 AM
Japanese greatsword... Same style blade as a katana, just longer (blade length of approx 36 inches or more).

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 12:18 AM
Japanese greatsword... Same style blade as a katana, just longer (blade length of approx 36 inches or more).

Is it in one of the books? If not, I'll probably just use this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Odachi_(3.5e_Helvruin_Equipment)) because it's the only one I could find.

Malak'ai
2013-04-02, 12:30 AM
Is it in one of the books? If not, I'll probably just use this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Odachi_(3.5e_Helvruin_Equipment)) because it's the only one I could find.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but going by the precedent of a katana being a MW Bastard Sword, an ōdachi would be a MW Greatsword.

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 12:37 AM
I can't remember off the top of my head, but going by the precedent of a katana being a MW Bastard Sword, an ōdachi would be a MW Greatsword.

Thank you! :smallbiggrin: It keeps me from having to use that gods-awful site!

Ashtagon
2013-04-02, 12:52 AM

1) Mystara had the tortles. I know a Dragon article had 3e rules for them, and I've seen a 4e style pdf with them.
2) By RAW, no, because a wererat's shapechange ability isn't a spell.
3) nezumi? Samurai is a background character class though. This is one case where the animesque reputation of ToB will work for you. Warblade.
4) Dunno.
5) Fighters and rogues and ninjas, oh my!

Red Rubber Band
2013-04-02, 01:43 AM
This is a great idea for a setting. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

I'd like to add in a suggestion. When looking at the classes, rather than going with what sounds like their class (ie Ninja), try going for what you want mechanically. This will allow you to take dips in classes that might not make sense story wise, but the character will play and feel more like what you're actually going for. By multiclassing you could very well become a better ninja than by going 20 levels in Ninja.

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 02:07 AM
1) Mystara had the tortles. I know a Dragon article had 3e rules for them, and I've seen a 4e style pdf with them.
2) By RAW, no, because a wererat's shapechange ability isn't a spell.
3) nezumi? Samurai is a background character class though. This is one case where the animesque reputation of ToB will work for you. Warblade.
4) Dunno.
5) Fighters and rogues and ninjas, oh my!

I wish I had access to this Dragon article :smallfrown: It keeps getting brought up and I'm unable to find it anywhere.
I take it the Nezumi was meant for question number two. Warblade seems to be one of the classes highly recommended for Shred-head, along with various other classes to multiclass him.

This is a great idea for a setting. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

I'd like to add in a suggestion. When looking at the classes, rather than going with what sounds like their class (ie Ninja), try going for what you want mechanically. This will allow you to take dips in classes that might not make sense story wise, but the character will play and feel more like what you're actually going for. By multiclassing you could very well become a better ninja than by going 20 levels in Ninja.

It's coming along rather well, thank you. I wouldn't have made it to this point without the help of my fellow forum-goers though.

I agree wholeheartedly on the multiclassing thing. It keeps them from being dull and drab. There's quite a bit of what I want mechanically though, and that's probably not a good thing!

Malak'ai
2013-04-02, 02:36 AM
How about we break each of the Shell-Gang down to what they're known for?

Leo - Cool, Calm, Collected leader (except with Raph), kicks butt with two swords, technically the best fighter.

Donny - Tech-head, mechanic, computer wizz. Can spin a bo staff faster than the eye can follow.

Raph - Impulsive, hotheaded, go all out to kick butt, never quit. Can stab with or throw his sai's with equal ease.

Mikey - Joker, goof off, immature, greedy guts (I think his limit in the 80's cartoon was 5 pizza's by himself), kinda clumsy, innocent, "the heart and soul of the group". Can twirl both his nunchaku at the same time without hitting himself in the groin.

Splinter - Old, mentor, father, loving, calm (except when Leo and Raph go at it), stupidly brave, weird sense of humour, HATES driving!

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 02:55 AM
How about we break each of the Shell-Gang down to what they're known for?

Leo - Cool, Calm, Collected leader (except with Raph), kicks butt with two swords, technically the best fighter.

Donny - Tech-head, mechanic, computer wizz. Can spin a bo staff faster than the eye can follow.

Raph - Impulsive, hotheaded, go all out to kick butt, never quit. Can stab with or throw his sai's with equal ease.

Mikey - Joker, goof off, immature, greedy guts (I think his limit in the 80's cartoon was 5 pizza's by himself), kinda clumsy, innocent, "the heart and soul of the group". Can twirl both his nunchaku at the same time without hitting himself in the groin.

Splinter - Old, mentor, father, loving, calm (except when Leo and Raph go at it), stupidly brave, weird sense of humour, HATES driving!

All of this seems spot-on. Dang, Mikey's gonna get juvenile Diabeetus!
Also, I wasn't aware that Splinter hated driving.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-02, 02:58 AM
Where can I find the artificer class?

Eberron Campaign Setting.

Basically, they're magitech engineers.

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 02:59 AM
Eberron Campaign Setting.

Basically, they're magitech engineers.

Thank you.
How do they fare in a fight?

Malak'ai
2013-04-02, 03:07 AM
All of this seems spot-on. Dang, Mikey's gonna get juvenile Diabeetus!
Also, I wasn't aware that Splinter hated driving.

Now, I must admit the last time I watched the 80's cartoon (during the 90's here in NZ) was about 20 years ago so my memory might be a bit rusty, but I remember one episode where he had to drive the Turtle Wagon and was either scared out of his wits or super angry that he had to do it. I think when he finally got out he declared he was never going to drive again.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-02, 03:07 AM
Thank you.
How do they fare in a fight?

Depends on how well you optimize them.

Basically, they make magic items to use in combat. They can make any magic item that exists (other than non-craftable items like artifacts.) Dependant on level and use UMD. They can act as an pseudo wizard or cleric. They also get a craft reserve (basically xp, but only usable for crafting magic items.)

I've never played one, but I've been in a party with one. They definitely can be effective.

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 03:11 AM
Now, I must admit the last time I watched the 80's cartoon (during the 90's here in NZ) was about 20 years ago so my memory might be a bit rusty, but I remember one episode where he had to drive the Turtle Wagon and was either scared out of his wits or super angry that he had to do it. I think when he finally got out he declared he was never going to drive again.

I really need to bust out my old VHS tapes and watch them again. I've not seen a one since I was seven or so!

Depends on how well you optimize them.

Basically, they make magic items to use in combat. They can make any magic item that exists (other than non-craftable items like artifacts.) Dependant on level and use UMD. They can act as an pseudo wizard or cleric. They also get a craft reserve (basically xp, but only usable for crafting magic items.)

I've never played one, but I've been in a party with one. They definitely can be effective.

I like what you've just told me about them. I'll look them up in a bit.
Are they fun to work with? My group tends to be the normal classes from the Players Handbooks.

Malak'ai
2013-04-02, 03:19 AM
I think I was 8. I had the 4 (or was it 5?) VHS tapes as well, used to watch them on a Saturday morning after cartoons on tv finished ... They got lost when we moved house years ago though.

ArcturusV
2013-04-02, 03:50 AM
Course this whole topic keeps reminding me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySl-8lUnfc&feature=BFa&list=ELyeCwjSEtlB4

Since there's a lot about various combat effectiveness of the turtles, what they should be, etc.

Probably should run them as a Gestalt character for the most part:

Like Leo would be OA Samurai//Monk/Fighter, Don as Artificer//Monk/Rogue, Mike as Ranger//Monk, Raph as Barbarian//Monk.

Man on Fire
2013-04-02, 06:12 AM
If you want to make Shredder samurai, I would suggest some multiclass combo between OA Samurai and either Swordsage (for 80s Shredder) or Warblade (for the original, movies or 2003 Shredder) - I don't even think people tried to make some of that combo, this may be interesting.

now another question - will you introduce elements from only 80s cartoon or also other sources? Because I think that both 2003 series and Archie Comics comics series have some very nice material.

Metahuman1
2013-04-02, 10:03 AM
With reguard to your question on my last post.

Yes, he'd be able to wear armor, given that Neither the Warblade or the Swordsage requires you not to wear armor and the feats don't either if my memory serves.

A level of fighter anywhere in the build nets you a nice bonus feat and proficency with heavy armors.

Swordsage only get's some of his class features in light armor. I'd suggest only going into a level, maybe two so as to minimize this. Remember, your really only there for the swordsage exclusive Shadow Hand and Setting Sun fighting styles on Shredder.

With reguards to the Turtles:

They all duel weild, except Donne who uses a double weapon. Give them all the TWF line and Tiger Claw Maneuvers. They should also all have at least one or two levels in Swordsage for access to Setting Sun and Shadow Hand maneuvers cause there ninja's. Use the Unarmed Variant to get Improved Unarmed Strike and Monk Like Unarmed damage with out being monks, since they all seem to know how to do unarmed combat fairly well. Apart form that and the below suggested Dips, I Firmly Recommend Warblade levels to fill out the builds.

Give Mikey the Harmonizing Weapons property and some levels in Bard with some inspire courage boosters (I don't think Words of Creation or Dragonfire Inspiration would be good for this though unless your high op.) The Ascetic Mage feat might be good here.

Aside form Tiger Claw + Setting Sun + Shadow Hand, I'm not really sure what he'd use for maneuvers.

Give Donne a level in Factotum at first level and something so that all skills remain class skills. Then give him some levels in Artificer. Kung fu Genius is useful for him, as could Knowledge devotion.

He's defiantly using Diamond Mind on top of the other three schools they've all got in common.

Raph Should totally have two levels of Spirit Lion totem + Wolf totem Barbarian and a couple of hits of the extra Rage feat. And if you can somehow work 4 lvls of the Bloodstorm blade PrC in on top of that and 1-2 lvls or swordsage and Warblade levels, do so, the returning of thrown Sai is helpful. The throw anything feat would also be good. Finally, a 1 lvl dip into Fist of the Forest PrC gives Con to AC + a natural slam attack, which fits him nicely if you can squeeze it in and fix the fluff requirements.

And he totally uses Iron Heart or Stone Dragon, Maybe a bit of both.

Leo is actually easily the most straight forward of the three. Give him swordsage and Warblade levels alternatively. Maybe the Insightful Strike Feat from Book of Exalted Deeds and a single level in the shiba Protector class from Oriental Adventures. If it's High Op, Give him an Eternal Wand of DMM: Persisted Lions Charge (It's a Paladin/Ranger/Druid spell form Spell compendium.) so he has pounce.

Lastly, you want to have him using Diamond Mind, Iron Hear, and White Raven Schools in addition to the three they all have.

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 02:20 PM
I think I was 8. I had the 4 (or was it 5?) VHS tapes as well, used to watch them on a Saturday morning after cartoons on tv finished ... They got lost when we moved house years ago though.

Sorry to hear you lost them in the move. It stinks losing something as awesome as that.

Course this whole topic keeps reminding me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySl-8lUnfc&feature=BFa&list=ELyeCwjSEtlB4

Since there's a lot about various combat effectiveness of the turtles, what they should be, etc.

Probably should run them as a Gestalt character for the most part:

Like Leo would be OA Samurai//Monk/Fighter, Don as Artificer//Monk/Rogue, Mike as Ranger//Monk, Raph as Barbarian//Monk.

What exactly is a Gestalt character? A lot of people bring it up on these forums and I've never known.

If you want to make Shredder samurai, I would suggest some multiclass combo between OA Samurai and either Swordsage (for 80s Shredder) or Warblade (for the original, movies or 2003 Shredder) - I don't even think people tried to make some of that combo, this may be interesting.

now another question - will you introduce elements from only 80s cartoon or also other sources? Because I think that both 2003 series and Archie Comics comics series have some very nice material.

I'm wanting to try and combine multiple sources.
There's a large amount of options for them as a group though, so it's a bit of a pain in the rump.

With reguard to your question on my last post.

Yes, he'd be able to wear armor, given that Neither the Warblade or the Swordsage requires you not to wear armor and the feats don't either if my memory serves.

A level of fighter anywhere in the build nets you a nice bonus feat and proficency with heavy armors.

Swordsage only get's some of his class features in light armor. I'd suggest only going into a level, maybe two so as to minimize this. Remember, your really only there for the swordsage exclusive Shadow Hand and Setting Sun fighting styles on Shredder.

With reguards to the Turtles:

They all duel weild, except Donne who uses a double weapon. Give them all the TWF line and Tiger Claw Maneuvers. They should also all have at least one or two levels in Swordsage for access to Setting Sun and Shadow Hand maneuvers cause there ninja's. Use the Unarmed Variant to get Improved Unarmed Strike and Monk Like Unarmed damage with out being monks, since they all seem to know how to do unarmed combat fairly well. Apart form that and the below suggested Dips, I Firmly Recommend Warblade levels to fill out the builds.

Give Mikey the Harmonizing Weapons property and some levels in Bard with some inspire courage boosters (I don't think Words of Creation or Dragonfire Inspiration would be good for this though unless your high op.) The Ascetic Mage feat might be good here.

Aside form Tiger Claw + Setting Sun + Shadow Hand, I'm not really sure what he'd use for maneuvers.

Give Donne a level in Factotum at first level and something so that all skills remain class skills. Then give him some levels in Artificer. Kung fu Genius is useful for him, as could Knowledge devotion.

He's defiantly using Diamond Mind on top of the other three schools they've all got in common.

Raph Should totally have two levels of Spirit Lion totem + Wolf totem Barbarian and a couple of hits of the extra Rage feat. And if you can somehow work 4 lvls of the Bloodstorm blade PrC in on top of that and 1-2 lvls or swordsage and Warblade levels, do so, the returning of thrown Sai is helpful. The throw anything feat would also be good. Finally, a 1 lvl dip into Fist of the Forest PrC gives Con to AC + a natural slam attack, which fits him nicely if you can squeeze it in and fix the fluff requirements.

And he totally uses Iron Heart or Stone Dragon, Maybe a bit of both.

Leo is actually easily the most straight forward of the three. Give him swordsage and Warblade levels alternatively. Maybe the Insightful Strike Feat from Book of Exalted Deeds and a single level in the shiba Protector class from Oriental Adventures. If it's High Op, Give him an Eternal Wand of DMM: Persisted Lions Charge (It's a Paladin/Ranger/Druid spell form Spell compendium.) so he has pounce.

Lastly, you want to have him using Diamond Mind, Iron Hear, and White Raven Schools in addition to the three they all have.

Wow, this is quite a bit to take in... I don't even know how to begin replying to this other than with a question: Do you have a list of books I could find this stuff in? :smalleek:

ArcturusV
2013-04-02, 02:28 PM
Gestalt is a rules variant from Unearthed Arcana (Thus open source and you can find it online). Basically you are old school multiclassed, as per earlier editions. You have two classes you are taking at the same time.

So if you're a Barbarian//Wizard gestalt at level 1, for example, this means:

You are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor and shields (except tower).
You have d12 HP + Con Modifier.
You have +1 Base Attack Bonus.
You have 4 + Int modifier skill Points.
All Barbarian Class Skills, and all Wizard Class skills are class skills for your character.
Your saves are +2 Fort, +0 Reflex, +2 Will
You have the Barbarian's Fast Movement, Rage 1/day.
You have the Wizard's Spellcasting, Spellbook, Scribe Scroll, and Familiar.

In short, you gain the best per level from each of your classes, best BAB, best Save, best skill points, etc. You gain the class features of both classes.

gurgleflep
2013-04-02, 02:36 PM
Gestalt is a rules variant from Unearthed Arcana (Thus open source and you can find it online). Basically you are old school multiclassed, as per earlier editions. You have two classes you are taking at the same time.

So if you're a Barbarian//Wizard gestalt at level 1, for example, this means:

You are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor and shields (except tower).
You have d12 HP + Con Modifier.
You have +1 Base Attack Bonus.
You have 4 + Int modifier skill Points.
All Barbarian Class Skills, and all Wizard Class skills are class skills for your character.
Your saves are +2 Fort, +0 Reflex, +2 Will
You have the Barbarian's Fast Movement, Rage 1/day.
You have the Wizard's Spellcasting, Spellbook, Scribe Scroll, and Familiar.

In short, you gain the best per level from each of your classes, best BAB, best Save, best skill points, etc. You gain the class features of both classes.

Okay, first off: FANTASTAWESOMAGNIFERRIEFPIC!
I see why people like it so much now. Thank you :smallbiggrin:

jebbewocky
2013-04-02, 03:29 PM
All the classes like Swordsage etc. are in Tome of Battle. They're martial/melee classes which sort of use a caster mechanic.

Metahuman1
2013-04-02, 09:28 PM
Artificer is Eberron Campaign setting and is a Base Class.

Factotum is a base class from Dungeonscape.

Swordsage and Warblade are Base classes from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords. Swordsage has a variant rules set described in it's class set that trades it's weapon proficiency's for Improved Unarmed strike, the ability to treat unarmed strikes as natural or manufactured weapons as needed, and a Monk's Unarmed Damage progression.

Tiger Claw, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, White Raven and Stone Dragon are fighting styles form Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.

Shiba Protector is a prestige class form Oriental adventures. It's in the section on the phoenix clan.

Insightful Strike is a feat form Book of Exulted Deeds.

Words of Creation is a Feat form Book of Exulted Deeds.

Dragonfire Inspiration is a feat form Dragon Magic. Both this and Words of creation Make the Bards Inspire Courage ability a lot better. Both are, however, really powerful, so don't use them unless it's a high op game.

Knowledge Devotion is a Feat from Complete Champion.

Kung Fu Genius is a Feat from an Issue of Dragon Magazine. It makes it so that your Bonus from Wis to AC (Which both the Monk and the Swordsage get's as class features.), is changed to Bonus Int to AC.

Ascetic Mage is a feat from Complete Adventurer. It's the same as Kung Fu Genius, except it changes Wis to AC into Cha to AC.

Spirit Lion totem Barbarian is an Alternative Class feature form Complete Champion. On your first level of Barbarian, you Gain Pounce (the ability to charge and make a full attack at the end.) instead of fast Movement.

Wolf totem Barbarian is an Alternative class feature form Unearthed Arcana. When you take your second level of Barbarian, you Gain Improved Trip as a bonus feat in place of Uncanny Dodge.

Fist of the Forest is a Prestige Class from Complete Champion.

Bloodstorm Blade is a prestige class from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.

Extra Rage is a Feat from Complete Warrior. It gives you 2 extra uses of the Barbarian Rage class feature a day, and can be taken multiple times with stacking effect, kinda like extra turning form the PHB for Clerics turn undead.

Throw Anything is a Feat from Complete Warrior.

Eternal Wands are magic Items form the Magic Item Compendium.

Lion's Charge is a Spell From the Spell compendium that Paladins, Rangers and Druids get.

Persist Spell is a metamagic feat from Either complete divine or Complete Arcane, I forget which.

Divine Metamagic Is a feat from complete divine. It allows you when taken to select a metamagic feat, such as the above persist spell feat, which you apply it's effects too. And it must be used in conjunction with Divine spells to do anything. However, it's affects can be added to wands and eternal wands as far as I know.

Did I miss anything?