PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Awesome Monk Weapon Advice

inexorabletruth
2013-04-01, 01:24 PM
Players in my Monk Campaign... keep moving. Nothing for you to see here!

Ok, I threw my monk a bone in a campaign I'm in.

He's landed in the weapons room of the most powerful monk in the region of the game I'm running in the middle of an all-hell's-breaking-loose situation. He's got a few rounds to equip before the bad guys bust in the door and we begin the Mook Horror Show.

He picks a kama and some shuriken.

I need these weapons to be incredible. Assuming an unlimited shopping budget and welcoming the presence of relics, artifacts, and other legendary weapon types, what can the Playground recommend?

Extra bonus points if you can recommend something fire themed... since the monastery they're in is fire themed.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-01, 01:34 PM
Some variety of enchanted Scorpion Kama (MIC) - it's base damage changes from 1d4 to your unarmed strike damage.

Toss the Keen (DMG), Aquatic (MIC), Frost Surge (MIC), Paralytic Surge (MIC) and Prismatic Burst abilities for hilarity.

The Bandicoot
2013-04-01, 02:10 PM
As far as the shurikens go you could always go with Returning, Thundering, Flaming Burst, Shocking Burst, Icy Burst, Brilliant Energy, Speed, Seeking, and Distance.

It would fit fluff-wise. Shurikens with the power of the elements that go farther, seek out enemies, and return to the thrower.

Trasilor
2013-04-01, 02:24 PM
I am confused...you are the DM? And you will allow artifacts? Just make it up, forget the rules.

Example:
Kama of Oblivion: Upon a successful critical the subject saves (Fort Save DC = Monk Level + Wis Bonus + Dmg Dealt (total damage)). Failure means the subject burns from the inside out effectively vaporizing them. Otherwise it functions as a +2 Wrathful Striking, Fiery Burst, Corrosive Burst, Holy Kama that uses your monks unarmed damage. It is stored in a +1 Warning scabbard of impaling points (keen edges)

The Only Shuriken: , the artifact allow the user to their iterative attacks . In other words, the user throws the same weapon. The weapon cannot be snatched out of the air nor deflected. It is immune to high winds (including gust of wind or wind wall). Furthrmore when attacking it is treated as being cold iron, silver....(etc) for bypassing damage reduction. Otherwise it is a +1 blah, blah, blah....

Get creative. Ask the five-year-old in you what 'throwing star' he/she would want. :smallamused:

Jeff the Green
2013-04-01, 02:39 PM
Get creative. Ask the five-year-old in you what 'throwing star' he/she would want. :smallamused:

The five-year-old in me wants a throwing star shaped like a dinosaur made out of ice cream and brownies. He's kind of stupid, actually.

More on topic, the shuriken could function as normal (with nice enchantments) plus have n/day uses of fire shuriken. Maybe make them effectively raptor arrows.

The Kama could give a free desert wind maneuver and stance, changeable daily, ignoring prerequisites other than IL, and IL = monk level.

Phippster
2013-04-01, 02:52 PM
You could make some sort of house-ruled shuriken with the Splitting quality on it, that also happens to have an improved form of returning (like a Whisperknife), that maybe has keen and flaming burst on it? Could make for an interesting weapon.

For the kama, I like someone's idea of making it do damage equal to his unarmed damage. Maybe tie in what someone mentioned with granting access to some of the better Desert Wind maneuvers 1/day or something like that. Should certainly make for an interesting power boost.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-01, 02:53 PM
Many of the Shurikens are made from various materials: stone, blue crystal, red crystal, clear glass, obsidian, compressed ash, compressed sawdust, normal metal covered in cold frost, etc.
Stone Shuriken: +1 Shuriken, a target struck must Save vs. Flesh to Stone (DC 19).
Blue Crystal Shuriken: +1 Shuriken, target struck must Save vs Flesh to Ice (DC 17) (Frostburn).
Red Crystal Shuriken: +1 Shuriken, target struck is affected by a Maximized Combust spell (SpC), taking 80 fire damage (no save) and must make a Reflex save or catch fire (DC 15) (DMG 303 for catching on fire).
Clear Glass Shuriken: +1 Shuriken, acts as a Bead of Force (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beadofForce).
Obsidian Shuriken: +1 Shuriken, target struck gains 2d4 negative levels (per Split Ray Enervation).
Compressed Ash Shuriken: +1 Shuriken, on impacting any creature or hard surface it fills the area with a Pyrotechnics Smoke Cloud (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/pyrotechnics.htm) effect for 2d4+2 rounds (as though Extended).
Compressed Sawdust Shuriken: +1 Shuriken, on impacting any creature or hard surface it fills the area with a Dust of Sneezing and Choking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dustofSneezingandChoking) effect.
Cold Frost Shuriken: +1 Spell Storing Shuriken, contains a Maximized Shivering Touch (Frostburn), which deals 18 Dex damage, no saving throw.

Trasilor
2013-04-01, 02:56 PM
The five-year-old in me wants a throwing star shaped like a dinosaur made out of ice cream and brownies.

that sounds delicious...

I guess the five-year-old in me is a little more violent, his throwing star is more like a miniature nuke that blows everybody up.

True story: my older brother and I made 'shuriken' out of sheet metal using tin snips...how we survived childhood is a miracle.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-01, 04:01 PM
True story: my older brother and I made 'shuriken' out of sheet metal using tin snips...how we survived childhood is a miracle.

Sounds like that took some years off the lives of your parents.

"Look, Ma, deadly weapons! We made 'em ourselves!"

Trasilor
2013-04-01, 04:23 PM
Sounds like that took some years off the lives of your parents.

"Look, Ma, deadly weapons! We made 'em ourselves!"

About as deadly as our lawn darts :smallbiggrin: (seriously we had those too)

Actually, they were horrible, tin snips notoriously curve metal when you cut with them resulting in slightly bent stars (plus we were like 12 and 7 so the metal was painfully thin). As a result we couldn't get them to stick into the broad side of a barn at 5 paces.

The bolos were even more fun, we actually got them to hit tree :smallamused:

The ultimate weapon my brother and I had was a 3-man water balloon sling shot. He hit me at about 30 paces with clump of hardened dirt...in the head...while I was running...still got the scar...good times :smallamused:

RFLS
2013-04-01, 04:27 PM
-snip-

I did my parents one better: My childhood friend and I spent large portions of our time constructing siege equipment in the garage. Our crowning achievement was either the 6 foot long ballistae or the 10 foot tall trebuchet. The ballistae was deadlier, but the trebuchet could hurl a watermelon across a football field.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-01, 04:30 PM
Staff of the Skies-- a +2 shocking burst quarterstaff, it uses your unarmed damage instead of its normal damage. In addition, the magic of the staff seeks the sky, buoying up the wielder. It grants a +20 bonus to balance and jump checks, and allows the wielder to use swift fly once every 1d4 rounds.

Asteron
2013-04-01, 04:30 PM
Remember making those rubber-band bullets from paper? My brothers and I made a bunch out of aluminum cans... Then had a fight with them. Yeah, they drew blood with every hit.

After the fight, my brothers convinced me to hit a large wasp nest with one... How none of us got stung is a mystery to me!

Averis Vol
2013-04-01, 05:51 PM
How about shuriken that when pick up slithers leather around their hand into a modified glove of infinite daggers. The change being that it can create a shuriken for every attack you make in a round, and they all function as a dagger of many fangs, when thrown creating 3 quasi real clones that deal weapon damage an additional time each. for the Kama I agree with making it a scorpion kama with a rider effect of advancing stunning fist to freezing the lifeblood, basically paralyzing instead of stunning. You could go farther and give it Pharoahs fist* as an extra for a second stunning fist attempt.

*forces every adjacent enemy to also make the stunning fist save.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-01, 06:29 PM
The five-year-old in me wants a throwing star shaped like a dinosaur made out of ice cream and brownies. He's kind of stupid, actually.

Yeah, that's totally something a dumb idiot five-year-old would want, not something I tried to google and buy just right now.

I mean, it worked for "Kung Fu Dino Posse."

ericgrau
2013-04-01, 10:13 PM
Kamas are tripping weapons so maybe it could grant a trip bonus and/or improved trip.

Large numbers of mooks + coolness + fire demand that the shuriken explode into a small area, damaging everyone within 5 feet of the target (reflex half).

Come to think of it tripping 1 foe isn't good against large numbers. So make the kama thundering (sonic damage) and have the tripped mook shake the ground and trip all adjacent foes at a -4 penalty to the trip check.

The higher the level the bigger the damage on both. Perhaps both are both flaming and thundering.