PDA

View Full Version : Land Speed vs. Climb Speed

Aerlock
2013-04-01, 03:47 PM
So in building a Pathfinder Summoner I ran into the situation where, for fluff reasons, I had a Serpentine Eidolon. I want it to move faster than 20ft. I can free up 1 Evolution point to give it a 40ft climb speed with 1 Climb Evolution now or wait a level and give it a 30 ft climb and land movement speed with 1 Limbs(legs) Evolution. If I go with the Climb Evolution now, what's to stop me from "Climbing" along the ground at 40ft?

- Aerlock

TL;DR: Can I "climb" along the ground to move faster than my normal movement speed if I have a faster Climb speed than normal movement speed?

Roclat
2013-04-01, 03:53 PM
I don't think so, I'm not as familiar with PF tho. You could probably manage a way to run along buildings and walls, torch mounts etc to justify it in a lot of circumstances. Just not open plains.

Until you get a pair of immovable rods that is, what an image that would be lol.

Chaosvii7
2013-04-01, 04:09 PM
Long story short: No. All forms of movement detail that specific movement. You do not climb along the ground(at best, you crawl, which still uses your base move speed). Granted, you can do some pretty cheesy things to warrant using your other move speeds, ranging from flying 1 foot off the ground(hardly cheesy but still not RAI) to being a tiny-sized swimmer using create water to generate enough water for you to swim in(100% cheese). The best your eidolon could do is...walk on walls the whole time.

Having multiple move speeds isn't necessarily a bad thing; IIRC, if you don't have a climb speed you need to make a Climb check to move climb your base speed - having a climb speed negates the check and gives you a regulatory speed to move with, usually greater than half your speed.

Also, having your serpentine eidolon grow legs makes me imagine making Trogdor as an Eidolon. Just saying.