PDA

View Full Version : DeFeated

Ace Nex
2013-04-01, 04:04 PM
This comes down to a pretty simple yes or no answer, but are you allowed to hold off on spending a feat for a level or two? Say, for example. you're trying to get a feat (Greater 2 weapon fighting for example) which requires a BAB of +11, could you save the feat you get at 9th level and use it once you hit 11th? It doesn't explicitly say you can't in the PHB, and after checking online there isn't much of a consensus there either. I know it may not be the wisest course to put off spending a feat, but nevertheless I'd like to know.

Lapak
2013-04-01, 04:09 PM
It does indeed say that you can't in the PHB, unless I am very much mistaken. The level-up process says you choose a Feat, and at what point in the leveling-up process you do it.

EDIT: To clarify, this is the same reason you can't spend Skill Points and THEN choose your next class level (possibly qualifying for a PRC a level earlier.) The order of actions for gaining a level is set in stone, and you can't dodge around it.

EDIT: And to elaborate (and throw a slight tangent) on the clarification, even the Retraining rules in the PHB2 which allow you to switch feats establish that the feats you're picking must be chosen in a way that would be a legal build if you had been picking them that way while leveling up originally - i.e. you can't trade away your 1st level feat to pick up another BAB+11-required feat.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-01, 05:59 PM
You can't "put off" feats. You have to spend them the moment you get them.