PDA

View Full Version : Best fifth party member (PF)

(Un)Inspired
2013-04-01, 04:29 PM
So I'm DMing an upcoming game and most of my players have decided what they want to play.

They're starting at level 3 and so far we have:

A level 3 Elf Diviner
A level 3 Undine UA Cloistered Cleric
A level 3 Oread Barbarian
A level 1 bard/1druid/1 rogue Aasimar

One player is still undecided about what he wants to play. Do you have any ideas about what we should suggest to him? All material from 3.5 is available but they player doesn't like using ToB. He's currently playing a factotum in another campaign so its unlikely he'll want to play one.

Additionally the group in pretty low on the optimization front.

Any advice is apreciated

ericgrau
2013-04-01, 04:48 PM
Pathfinder low op? Melee is always easy to do, especially since you already have 2-3 casters who can buff him and only 1 other heavy hitter. A straight fighter, barbarian or paladin could work or a multiclassed character. I would not recommend a single classed ranger or monk to a novice, but if he feels up to it that fits too. And regardless they can be good for dips.

Though I'm thinking more about PF. 3.5 material could change things. And really anything could fit since everything's covered. Even the 5th wheel is semi-covered though a single classed bard might be a nice one by level 8 or whenever they get move action songs.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-04-01, 06:27 PM
Magus or Duskblade would probably be a good fit.

Blyte
2013-04-01, 06:30 PM
With your listed party, anything will do well.

Switch hitter ranger would be an easy fit.

Eldonauran
2013-04-01, 06:37 PM
A level 1 bard/1druid/1 rogue Aasimar

Uh, what? :smallconfused:

Something about that sets off a red flag.

Additionally the group in pretty low on the optimization front.

Oh, ok. Good.

I'd like to know what the Aasimar is going for. My curiousity has been pricked. If he has an animal companion, be sure to have him take Boon Companion so that his animal companion can keep up.

Is the Aasimar using all his skill ranks to his advantage? Is he going to be the party face?

My recommendation is another front line fighter. You have enough magical aid (arcane and divine) at the current level to tackle just about anything. More meat for the meat grinder.

Magus or Duskblade would probably be a good fit.
Definitely. I highly recommend. Find a way to get whip prof and use it to deliver touch spells out to 15 ft. Remember your spiked guantlets and buckler!

A straight fighter would be fine as well. Pathfinder goes a long way to help out to melee fighters.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-04-01, 06:53 PM
I would second third the Magus. It's an incredibly fun class.

Jack_Simth
2013-04-01, 07:02 PM
Uh, what? :smallconfused:

Something about that sets off a red flag.I don't see why. It looks like someone leading up towards Fochlucan Lyrist, which requires Evasion, Bardic Knowledge, a zillion skills, and both Arcane & divine casting. The skill requirements make it minimum 10th level to meet the requirements, so they've got a while, and as he's actually taking Rogue to qualify, it means he'll lose at least three levels of Druid to pull it off. If he tries to combine it with a rapid-progression Arcane PrC (such as, say, Sublime Chord), then he loses out on 9th level Druid spells completely; if he was planning on using a non-Druid divine casting class for the actual spell advancement (such as, say, Ur-Priest or Blighter) then it's much less expensive to your caster level to use Mystic Theurge instead.

So... really, it looks (to me, at least) like someone who saw a cool concept PrC, and decided to go for it, not too worried about Power.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-01, 07:26 PM
i also like the duskblade. they can be fun, gimmicky, and powerful. they can be optimized easily but don't have to be. they make a passable melee character and sorcererish thing. they are also easy to use and can eventually get good armor.

undead hero
2013-04-01, 08:30 PM
Goblin Alchemist! Throw bombs or use mutagens, take your pick.

Little green dude that is constantly on fire? Whats not to love about that?

Fire isn't really an optimal damage source sooo should be fine.

(Un)Inspired
2013-04-01, 08:58 PM
The aasimar is indeed headed for the fochlucan lyrist by way of green whisperer. I'm totally gonna suggest magus or duskblade

TuggyNE
2013-04-01, 11:13 PM
Little green dude that is constantly on fire? Whats not to love about that?

See if you can get Ex freedom of movement out of the deal. :smalltongue: "Because. They can't grapple me if I'm on fire." —Dan McNinja

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-01, 11:31 PM
As people have been saying, Magus is a lot of fun to play. If the player would like something a little more unorthodox, playing a witch with the Scarred Witch Doctor archetype makes for a pretty fun, if somewhat wonky, gish.

Spuddles
2013-04-01, 11:45 PM
Alchemist is a really solid, middle of the road caster/ranged gish, with a lot of interesting alternative class features/archetypes.

Also pairs well with the diviner, as they can learn spells off the wizard list.

Paladin also makes a decent tank/gish. Not as hard hitting as magus/duskblade, but more durable with swift action lay on hands.

stack
2013-04-02, 07:29 AM
Magus, alchemist (vivisectionist/beastmorph), or bard (dawnflower dervish perhaps, since there isn't much melee in the party) would all make melee-capable but still quite versatile members that can contribute to any party.

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-02, 09:00 AM
A Flowing Monk could be an interesting counterpoint to the barbarian in melee. You run in and trip things, as getting attacked is a bonus to a flowing monk.