PDA

View Full Version : Winged Races

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-01, 05:27 PM
What are all the winged races in 3.5? I have only found a few and they are disappointing.

gooddragon1
2013-04-01, 05:37 PM
What are all the winged races in 3.5? I have only found a few and they are disappointing.

Well, let's get started...

Avariel [+3 LA]
Raptoran [+0 LA] Needs to be lvl 10 before actually flying for reals
Half Dragon [+3 LA] Needs large size to get the wings
Half Fiend [+4 LA]
Half Celestial [+4 LA]
Every Mephit Ever [+3 LA]
Hengeyokai Sparrow [+0 LA] Spelled Wrong probably
Pixie [+4 LA]
Grig [+3 LA]

Hyena
2013-04-01, 05:46 PM
There are kestrels (LA +2) from Bastard and Bloodlines, but I believe it's a third party book. But I must admit, halfling-harpy hybrid is pretty awesome.

BowStreetRunner
2013-04-01, 05:53 PM
Dragonborn with the Wings draconic aspect.

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-01, 05:58 PM
Im looking for more of a humanoid with wings kinda thing
The la max is +2
Kestrial was not what i was looking for at all

Jeraa
2013-04-01, 06:12 PM
Im looking for more of a humanoid with wings kinda thing
The la max is +2
Kestrial was not what i was looking for at all

Then your only options (As far as I know) are Avarials and Raptorans. Both have a level adjustment of +0.

Or the Winged template from Savage Species, which as a level adjustment of +2.

Edit: Actually, Races of Faerun puts the avarial at +3 level adjustment. not +0.

HalfQuart
2013-04-01, 10:25 PM
Taking a look at the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff), there's also:
Shifter w/Swiftwing trait, Races of Eberron, 20' (average)
Aarakocra, race, Races of Faerun - 90' (average), LA+2

Divide by Zero
2013-04-01, 10:27 PM
Half-Fey (Fiend Folio) also gives you flight for +2 LA.

gooddragon1
2013-04-01, 11:11 PM
Savage species anthropomorphic bat. It's animal mixed with human-ish. You could be batman.

Wait what?

Draken
2013-04-01, 11:24 PM
Your best bet is the Winged template. It gives fly speed, +4 Dex, +2 Wis and is at a serviceable +2 LA.

Vertharrad
2013-04-01, 11:45 PM
Well, let's get started...

Avariel [+0 LA]
Raptoran [+0 LA] Needs to be lvl 10 before actually flying for reals
Half Dragon [+4 LA]
Half Fiend [+4 LA]
Half Celestial [+4 LA]
Every Mephit Ever [+3 LA]
Hengeyokai Sparrow [+0 LA] Spelled Wrong probably
Pixie [+4 LA]
Grig [+3 LA]

Avariel and 1/2 Dragon are LA+3

Komatik
2013-04-02, 03:32 AM
This thread made me read shifters again, and now I hate the designers again. "Hm, this thing seems cool. Better limit it to few uses per day and have it be short in duration. We can't have our players be cool, now could we?"

Daftendirekt
2013-04-02, 05:32 AM
Raptoran or Dragonborn with the Wings aspect are your only non-LA choices. Do you want feathery wings or draconic wings? That's pretty much your option.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-02, 06:34 AM
Not really, Daftndirekt, all the sub-races in Dragon Magic (Silverbrow Human, Forestlord Elf, Fireblood Dwarf, etc) are able to take the Dragon Wings (And later Improved Dragon Wings) feat(s). Your fly speed only kicks in at 12th level, however.

Namfuak
2013-04-02, 07:51 AM
Races of Faerun (page 167) has "Outsider Wings," which is an Aasimar/tiefling feat. Lesser versions of the races could presumably take them for LA +0, but they require celestial bloodline or fiendish bloodling respectively, so it's a bit of a feat tax. Those particular feats were reprinted in PHBII, so I would assume you would use that version of the feat rather than the one in Races of Faerun.

Agent 451
2013-04-02, 01:50 PM
Avariel and 1/2 Dragon are LA+3

Don't forget that you need to be a large sized half-dragon to get flight, so you need a minimum +1 LA large sized race like half-giantogre to gain the flight speed. Unless there is +0 LA large race with no RHD kicking around that I don't know about...

Edit: At least I assume that's why it's listed as a +4 by gooddragon1

Also there is always the petal from MM3. Fly speed 60, tiny, and fey for +2 LA, no RHD.

Greenish
2013-04-02, 01:54 PM
Don't forget that you need to be a large sized half-dragon to get flight, so you need a minimum +1 LA large sized race like half-giant to gain the flight speed. Unless there is +0 LA large race with no RHD kicking around that I don't know about...Half-giant is medium. Aside from a few Dragon Mag templates, true Large size tends to require LA +2 or more (or eating RHD).

Or, well, goliath barbarian.

Agent 451
2013-04-02, 01:57 PM
Opps. Was looking at half-ogre.

Thanks for mentioning the large raging goliath barbarian, Greenish. Now I have the mental image of a half-dragon goliath barbarian who can grow wings and fly, but only when raging!

HalfQuart
2013-04-02, 02:30 PM
Also there is always the petal from MM3. Fly speed 60, tiny, and fey for +2 LA, no RHD.
Petal is listed as "Level Adjustment: +2 (cohort)" which generally means that they're not well-suited as a PC. Which in my experience means: Check with your DM first. Which further means: If you're doing crazy optimization, the answer is no; if you're looking for cool flavor and are unoptimized, then maybe.

Namfuak
2013-04-02, 04:18 PM
Opps. Was looking at half-ogre.

Thanks for mentioning the large raging goliath barbarian, Greenish. Now I have the mental image of a half-dragon goliath barbarian who can grow wings and fly, but only when raging!

Half-Minotaur could also work. I imagine you could combine the flying with your gore attack for great effect.

Urpriest
2013-04-02, 04:27 PM
Raptoran or Dragonborn with the Wings aspect are your only non-LA choices. Do you want feathery wings or draconic wings? That's pretty much your option.

Savage species anthropomorphic bat. It's animal mixed with human-ish. You could be batman.

Wait what?

You missed one.

Greenish
2013-04-02, 06:05 PM
Thanks for mentioning the large raging goliath barbarian, Greenish. Now I have the mental image of a half-dragon goliath barbarian who can grow wings and fly, but only when raging!For maximum effect, you'll want to play a half-dragon muckdweller (Serpent Kingdoms) Stoneblessed (Goliath)/Barbarian (With goliath sub levels).

Congratulations, you're now a Tiny creature that grows into Large size and spurts wings when it rages.