PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this feat

Devronq
2013-04-01, 08:07 PM
I saw a fighter fix that had a class feature that was basically your ability scores are considered 4 points higher for the purposes of qualifying for feats. What would you think of this as simply a feat, what would be the prerequisites would it be useful?

Feat mastery?
Prerequisite: ?
Benefit: You ability scores are considered 4 points higher for the purposes of qualifying for feats.

thank you.

P.s. nothing like this exsists as raw right?

themourningstar
2013-04-01, 08:21 PM
I don't see much use for it to be honest. I mean, maybe possibly if you were playing a low powered game (do people do that?). Otherwise, usually your ability scores are sufficient to meet any prereqs you have for a feat.

Hawk7915
2013-04-02, 11:39 AM
In 4th Edition, I could certainly see certain builds spending a feat slot on this. Point-buy is lower, a starting 18 in your primary stat is essential, and there are no ways to magically raise your attributes. A Fighter, for example, could pump his Wisdom and Strength to incredible degrees and then use this feat to meet the Dex prerequisites of his Heavy Blade feats. Avengers could dump strength and then use this for Weapon feats and Power Attack. Etc.

In 3.5th Edition? It's not really necessary or needed. Point-buys tend to be a bit higher, builds don't require that starting 18 and thus have some attribute flexibility, there are numerous ways to magically raise your attributes, and very few feat lines even have major ability score prerequisites (the TWF line is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that requires more than a 13). By the time this is really needed (Epic, when feats typically have prereqs in the 30s), players have access to numerous ways to magically augment their attributes instead, which is a better deal then burning a feat slot.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-02, 10:03 PM
It's a good feature for the type of fighter fix which gives ALL THE FEATS. Otherwise, you generally either have the stats you need already (archery, for example), or else you're so feats starved that it just won't help (TWF).

Humble Master
2013-04-02, 10:17 PM
I don't play 4.0 so I can't say for that but I think this feat would be rather useless in 3.5. As far as I know there aren't that many good feats in 3.5 that need abilities to be taken.

TuggyNE
2013-04-03, 01:03 AM
I don't play 4.0 so I can't say for that but I think this feat would be rather useless in 3.5. As far as I know there aren't that many good feats in 3.5 that need abilities to be taken.

Improved Trip.

Int 13 does almost nothing else for a Fighter (except give them nigh useless skill points for their tiny class skill list).

Greenish
2013-04-03, 03:12 AM
Improved Trip.

Int 13 does almost nothing else for a Fighter (except give them nigh useless skill points for their tiny class skill list).Combat Expertise requires 13 Int, Imp. Trip doesn't, not that it makes much of a difference.

And instead of taking a feat to count my Int four points higher, I'd rather pick something useful like Hyena Tribe Hunter, Wolf Berserker, Wolf Totem Barbarian dip, or Passive Way Monk dip.