PDA

View Full Version : Best maneuvers

Devronq
2013-04-01, 08:33 PM
So I'm trying to think of the best way to ask for what I'm looking for I'm in the process of making my own homebrew 3.x fix, anywho, I'm thinking of making maneuvers simply feats (with logical prerequisites) lets say your build was fighter 20 (as phb) but your bonus feats as well as your normal feats you can instead chose any maneuver that any TOB class could use at an equal level what maneuvers would you chose?

Just to clarify I'm not asking for any sort of build advise or homebrew advise just simply what would be the best maneuvers to chose in this situation?

undead hero
2013-04-01, 08:39 PM
So I'm trying to think of the best way to ask for what I'm looking for I'm in the process of making my own homebrew 3.x fix, anywho, I'm thinking of making maneuvers simply feats (with logical prerequisites) lets say your build was fighter 20 (as phb) but your bonus feats as well as your normal feats you can instead chose any maneuver that any TOB class could use at an equal level what maneuvers would you chose?

Just to clarify I'm not asking for any sort of build advise or homebrew advise just simply what would be the best maneuvers to chose in this situation?

Edit: you know what, I'm out. nevermind.

Devronq
2013-04-01, 08:52 PM
sorry i over explained things there im just asking what are the best maneuvers for each level?

Kane0
2013-04-01, 09:07 PM
The ones that grant you new and interesting things to do, not just bonus damage and similar things. Have a few of course, but the majority should be cool new toys, not bigger numbers.

Callin
2013-04-01, 09:30 PM
Honestly it all depends on what you want it to do. There is no 1 best.

I like what you are trying to do with this. I would limit them to a few schools based on original class. That way you don't have a fighter using say Shadowhand stuff. Unless you are ok with that. Then all good.

Since they have no Initiator Class they can not regain maneuvers and only have an initiator level equal 1/2 class level. Just let them gain any maneuver they meet the prerequisites for just like the martial study feat.

Matticussama
2013-04-01, 09:45 PM
As has been said, there is no real "best" as it depends upon the situation. However, I would definitely look for unique things that do more than just damage.

For example, one of the major weaknesses of martial types is saving throws; Moment of Perfect Mind/Action Before Thought/Mind Over Body allows you to make concentration checks instead. It requires a major skill investment, but getting to the point where you can replace all 3 saves with a single skill check makes the investment quite worth it. Furthermore, +Con items improve both concentration checks and HP helping to get even more out of the deal.

In the same line of thought as the above, Iron Heart Surge can (literally) be a life saver. Even if you fail a saving throw, it gives you the ability to just say no to a particularly debilitating condition.

Another example would be things like Mountain Hammer, especially at low levels. Overcoming any type of DR without having to invest in a grab-bag of different weapons can save you lots of gold, which you can then use for other purposes.

Any movement boosting maneuver also helps; Shadow Jaunt is definitely the go-to for this one, although there are others.

There are numerous other ones, of course, but these were the first to come to mind.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-04-02, 12:19 AM
My favorite maneuvers by level:

1. Moment of Perfect Mind
2. Wall of Blades
3. White Raven Tactics
4. Divine Surge
5. Mirrored Pursuit
6. Moment of Alacrity
7. Shadow Blink
8. Diamond Nightmare Blade
9. Time Stands Still

Amnestic
2013-04-02, 12:50 AM
Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike.

If only for the name.

Shining Wrath
2013-04-02, 09:13 AM
There is a feat which allows you to learn a martial maneuver - Martial Study. Check that out, it may be a good start on your homebrew.

As to which maneuvers are best, that depends on the rest of your build.

I'd recommend the Moment of Perfect Mind, as your Will Save is likely to be a vulnerability. At 5th level, Iron Heart Focus lets you roll twice for any save of any type.

The Shadow Hand discipline gives you some magical abilities that are very handy. You can give yourself Greater Invisibility for one turn as a swift action, which obviously has some pretty sweet uses, or teleport 50' as a standard.