PDA

View Full Version : An alternative to the class system

OutsiderOpinion
2013-04-01, 11:54 PM
Alright guys, so I've been working on building a D20 system from scratch on and off over the last couple of years. I call it "Shadows and Dust," after a quote from "Gladiator." At any rate, I've been running a campaign on this engine for awhile now, and it's been going well, but not quite what I had hoped for the system.
I am now working on Shadows and Dust 2.0, and I've got some major changes in mind. What do you guys think about a system that separates class from fighting style. For example, a player could choose to play a Rogue. That means high skill-points, but less ability in combat. The player can then choose whatever type of combat he wants this particular character to have, which basically determines what class-abilities they get as relates to combat only. So this hypothetical rogue could choose Dirty Fighting (typical roguish fighting), Marksmanship (for an archer-centric character, such as Haley) or Pure Fighting (which is basically as a Fighter). However, because this character has effectively chosen to specialize in skills rather than combat, whichever style they choose, they will get LESS of it than, say, a Soldier class who chose the same style. Thus, it becomes easy to imagine a common street thug (Rogue class, with the Pure Fighting tree), Assassin's (Soldier class or similar with the Dirty Fighting tree) and any number of other things.
The trade off, waving aside, for the moment, increased complexity, would be that there would BE a bigger trade off. Sneak attack or no, Rogue classes become irrevocably weaker in combat than their Fighter counterparts, who could by choosing the same style, have MORE of the same thing. It is true to life that some types would focus more on out-of-combat skills, but would this not diminish the experience for those less able to contribute to battle?

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-01, 11:57 PM
How exactly is this an alternative to the class system when you still use a class system? :smallconfused:

OutsiderOpinion
2013-04-02, 12:57 AM
Okay, fair's fair, the point was to restrict a character very little based on their class, that while they would still have one, and it would still make them naturally stronger in some areas and weaker in others, they would be free to assemble their own unique combination of skills, feats, combat style, etc.
What I want to figure out here is whether a choice to make some classes naturally weaker in combat impact the experience of the game negatively, and how this might be counteracted within a system such as I have described.

SowZ
2013-04-02, 03:01 AM
Maybe you are looking for more of a purchasing system. So when you level up, you get say ten points. You can buy HP or SP at a 2-1 trade, (maybe a minimum of 2 HP and 2 SP,) and other class features cost variable amounts based on power. Purchasing spell slots would get pretty expensive based on the level of the spell slot, for example.

Is this what you are looking for?

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-04-02, 03:09 AM
Wait. Are you going for a Classless D20, or one where the classes are hyper-customizable? Cuz with the first all I can say is Mutants and Masterminds*, and for the second...Iron Heroes?

*Loudly and with highly enthusiastic gesticulating. Perhaps some hollering and cheering, with maybe a brass band and some fireworks...

OutsiderOpinion
2013-04-02, 12:49 PM
My intention is for a hyper-customizable class. Think of it as a system where you can mix and match a choice between whether to specialize in skills or combat with a choice of what sort of combat to specialize in. You could have a soldier who fights dirty (which might end up looking like a ninja) or a rogue who just bashes things (a thug), but that's the sort of dichotomy I'm looking at.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-02, 01:03 PM
True20 had some quite detailed rules for customizing progressions and such for classes. You might look into it.