PDA

View Full Version : [Class]Lore seeker

Nocte
2006-11-17, 10:21 PM
Lore seeker

Alignment
The Lore Seeker must be neutral good, neutral, or neutral evil. The true pursuit of knowledge cares little for ethical extremes.

Hit Die
d6.

Class Skills

The Lore Seeker’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (None), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level

(6 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level

6 + Int modifier.

LORE SEEKER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0
|
+0
|
+2
|
+0
|Effective knowledge +1d6

2nd|
+1
|
+0
|
+3
|
+0
|Smart Defense

3rd|
+2
|
+1
|
+3
|
+1
|Effective knowledge +2d6

4th|
+3
|
+1
|
+4
|
+1
|Anatomy Lore

5th|
+3
|
+1
|
+4
|
+1
|Effective knowledge +3d6

6th|
+4
|
+2
|
+5
|
+2
|Lore Identify

7th|
+5
|
+2
|
+5
|
+2
|Effective knowledge +4d6

8th|
+6
|
+2
|
+6
|
+2
|Smart Escape

9th|
+6
|
+3
|
+6
|
+3
|Effective knowledge +5d6

10th|
+7
|
+3
|
+7
|
+3
|Secrets of mind

11th|
+8
|
+3
|
+7
|
+3
|Effective knowledge +6d6

12th|
+9
|
+4
|
+8
|
+4
|Lore Legend

13th|
+10
|
+4
|
+8
|
+4
|Effective knowledge +7d6

14th|
+10
|
+4
|
+9
|
+4
|Slippery Mind

15th|
+12/+6/+1
|
+5
|
+9
|
+5
|Effective knowledge +8d6

16th|
+12/+7/+2
|
+5
|
+10
|
+5
|Lore Analyze

17th|
+12/+7/+2
|
+5
|
+10
|
+5
|Effective knowledge +9d6

18th|
+13/+8/+3
|
+6
|
+11
|
+6
|Knowledge Skill Mastery

19th|
+14/+9/+4
|
+6
|
+11
|
+6
|Effective knowledge +10d6

20th|
+15/+10/+5
|
+6
|
+12
|
+6
|Enlightenment[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Lore Seeker.

Smart defence
When unarmoredand and unencumbered, the Lore Seeker adds half her Lore Seeker levels to her AC but only to a max equal to her intellingence modifier.

Effective knowledge attack

As a complete action a Lore Seeker can draw upon his knowledge of creatures to increase the effectiveness of his attacks. Ussing Effective knowledge attack requires a knowledge check of the appropiate creature faced.

* Arcana (dragons, magical beasts)
* Dungeoneering (aberrations, oozes)
* Local (humanoids)
* Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, vermin)
* Religion (undead)
* The planes (outsiders, elementals)

A Lore Seeker can make a knowledge check(DC=15 + Creature HD), if he succseds he can use a special melee attack for extra damage on the target creature and creatures of the same race. The effect of this ability remains for number of rounds equal to Lore Seeker levels pluss her intelligence modifier. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two Lore Seeker levels thereafter. Should the Lore Seeker score a critical hit with a Effective knowledge attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Anatomy Lore

A Lore seeker can make a knowledge check of the appropiate creature, instead of a heal check.

Smart Escape
A Lore seeker can make a knowledge check of the appropiate creature faced, instead of a escape artist to get out of a grapple or out of a pinned condition (so that you’re only grappling)..

Secrets of mind(ex)

A Lore seeker can add his intelligence modifier instead of his wisdom modifier to will checks.

Lore Identify(ex)

A Lore seeker can make knowledge(arcana) check(DC=25) to understand magic items, as with the identify spell. This ability takes the same time as the spell casting time, but requires no materials.

Lore Legend(ex)

A Lore seeker can make knowledge(Local) check(DC=30) to gain the effect of a legend lore. This ability takes the same time as the spell casting time, but requires no materials.

Lore analyze(ex)

A Lore seeker can make knowledge(Local) check(DC=35) to gain the effect of a analyze dweomer. This ability takes the same time as the spell casting time, but requires no materials.

Slippery Mind(Ex)

This ability represents the Lore Seeker’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. If a Lore Seeker with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.

Knowledge Skill Mastery

The Lore Seeker becomes so certain in the use of certain Knowledge skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of Knowledge skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

Enlightenment

At 20th level, a Lore Seeker becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the Lore Seeker’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the Lore Seeker gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the Lore Seeker can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

Ex-Lore Seekers
A Lore Seeker who becomes chaotic or lawful or becomes spellcaster cannot progress in levels as a Lore Seeker and looses all his Lore Seeker abilities.

Nocte
2006-11-17, 10:28 PM
This is a class for my next campaign, basically for gnomes instead of bards. There will be bards but they will be rare and special, not a race favored class.

Brigham
2006-11-18, 01:08 AM
I like this build. It's something which I've been wanting to construct myself, but I think I might just steal this from you instead (with full acknowledgement, of course).

I like the idea of an intelligence based adventurer. It's the geek of me wanting to be a bad-ass with what I got. I would never have thought to apply knowledge to escape checks and such- I like it very much.

The only opposing critique I would offer concerns "Smart Escape" and "Ex-Lore Seeker". For "smart escape", I would
1) allow a successful knowledge check to confer a generous bonus (+4 or something) an escape artist check, or
2) roll an escape artist check and add the knowledge approriate ranks.
I say this because while your knowledge of a creature can direct you toward helpful actions (kick in the go-berries, for instance) simply knowing about that weak point won't actually make for your escape.

As for "Ex-lore seeker," that's a harsh penalty! Maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction in me, but that's wicked harsh!

In whole, I love the build and hope ony of my DM's will allow me to use it sometime (I guess I should ask your permission, too :). Sorry to spend all my post on things I disliked, but the things I like about the build I don't want to change!

Nocte
2006-11-18, 01:38 AM
The only opposing critique I would offer concerns "Smart Escape" and "Ex-Lore Seeker". For "smart escape", I would I think maybe it's a little unrealistic, but functional for me.

As for "Ex-lore seeker," that's a harsh penalty! Maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction in me, but that's wicked harsh! About the spellcaster restriction, it´s just that any spell caster will be overpowered with the adition of some levels of this class specially wizards or other intelligence based spell casters.

And off course you can use it. :smallsmile: