PDA

View Full Version : My half-orc re-write.

smoke prism
2013-04-02, 10:38 AM
This is my first race re-write, so PEACH would be greatly appreciated. In this fix I have tried to make the half-orc less of a dume brure, and more of a misuderstude fusions of man and orc.I also tried to add a littel bit of choice thought the use of the predominant lineage (better name needed).

So I submite this re-write to the brilliant people of the playground, to tell me if they see any problems with the concept and the mechanics.

So whiteout thoughter adoe, I present my take on the half-orc.

half-orc
+2 strength, +2 wisdom, -2 charisma
ˇ Medium: As medium creatures, half-orc have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
ˇ half-orc base land speed is 30 feet.
ˇ Darkvison: half-orc can see in the dark up to 30 feet. Darkvison is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal sight.
ˇ predominantc lineage : During character creation the player must pick ONE of the following options:

ˇ Orc lineage : With this option the half-orc looks more like there orc heritage, with the vestiges of human features. This lineage provide bonuses that reflect its orc heritage:
ˇOrc blood: For all effects related to race a, half-orc is considered an orc.
ˇYou receive a +2 competence bonuse to all: climb, jump and swim checks.
ˇprimal might: you may as a Standered actions, tap in to a primal corner of you're of mind to unleash the power of you're ancestors. This abilty simulates the rage abilty of a level one barbarian. If the half-orc takes a level of barbarian he gains an extrer use of his rage abilty per day.

Human liniage: With this option the half-orc looks like a human with vaguely orc like features. This lineage provides the half-orc with power's thst reflect there human heritage.
ˇHuman blood: For all effect related to race a, half-orc is considered a human.ˇ ˇThe character picks 3 skills, he then gains a +2 competence bonuse to those skills.

LA:+1

togapika
2013-04-02, 01:23 PM
No one would ever have any reason to take the orc heritage over human from a power standpoint.
More benefits than a standard human AND a bonus feat???

Hawk7915
2013-04-02, 01:57 PM
Is this for 3.5 or Pathfinder? Relative power of races is different between the two.

No matter what edition this is for, the power level is way off. I can't imagine any character choosing Orc over Human lineage. A +2 to three skills of your choice beats a +2 to physical skills, and a bonus feat beats Rage 1/day. Furthermore, Half-orc becomes the default best race in the game. A human's bonus skillpoint will start overtaking the untyped +2 at later levels (but builds looking to max out Truespeech, Intimidate, or Use Mage Device will enjoy the untyped +2 more), and the +2 to Strength and Wisdom more than makes up for the slightly better skills of a human. Even in Pathfinder, the only class that wouldn't want to be a Half-orc is Sorcerer, who likely can't afford the Charisma penalty. Literally every other class, even Bards and Paladins, are better off going Half-orc and buying a higher Charisma score than usual to make up for it.

undead hero
2013-04-02, 06:52 PM
Is this for 3.5 or Pathfinder? Relative power of races is different between the two.

No matter what edition this is for, the power level is way off. I can't imagine any character choosing Orc over Human lineage. A +2 to three skills of your choice beats a +2 to physical skills, and a bonus feat beats Rage 1/day. Furthermore, Half-orc becomes the default best race in the game. A human's bonus skillpoint will start overtaking the untyped +2 at later levels (but builds looking to max out Truespeech, Intimidate, or Use Mage Device will enjoy the untyped +2 more), and the +2 to Strength and Wisdom more than makes up for the slightly better skills of a human. Even in Pathfinder, the only class that wouldn't want to be a Half-orc is Sorcerer, who likely can't afford the Charisma penalty. Literally every other class, even Bards and Paladins, are better off going Half-orc and buying a higher Charisma score than usual to make up for it.

Emphasis mine.

Well if this is pathfinder.... Then the Scarred Witch Doctor (Witch) would make taking Orc over Human worth it... That class is fricken scary (replace int with con on all spell related stuff).

But yeah this race is a bit to power trippy

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-02, 09:08 PM
Also, it's a bit odd that the cross-breed of a Human (no stat modifiers) and an Orc (-2 Wisdom) gets a wisdom bonus.

Humble Master
2013-04-02, 09:52 PM
This race seem way too powerful. +2 Str and Wis for a Cha penalty is not a fair trade, even with really bad racial features. What's more you can get a bonus feet and +2 in 3 skills. Remove the bonus feat and also nerf the ability bonuses. Unless of course this race is meant to be LA +1

smoke prism
2013-04-03, 09:53 AM
Thank you for all you're feedback :smallsmile:

I have got ride of the bonuse feat on the human (suggestions for something to replace it would be greatly appreciated).

I have also added a +1 LA

Also to answer grod the giant's question the reasoning for the bonuse to wisdom is because this race is never going to be truly accepted anywhere, so they usually learn how to gauge the reactions and motives of the people around them, or they die