PDA

View Full Version : Primeval Monster Wanted: Apply Within

RFLS
2013-04-02, 12:01 PM
Playgrounders! I need a monster. Specifically, I need a monster to fit what I described to my players at the end of our last session. I was making things up as I went along, and have no idea what the monster is. All they saw of it was this:

Looking back towards the door, as the bridge collapses, you see a gigantic, clawed hand reach up and grasp the base of the doorway, and then strain as the creature begins to pull itself up.

I'm looking for something primeval, massive, and terrifying, that a mid to high OP level 9 group with no full caster can handle. My first thought was a linnorm (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/linnorm.html), but even the crag linnorm seems like it'd be just too much. Does the Playground have any suggestions? I'm open to PF and 3.5 material.

stack
2013-04-02, 12:08 PM
Could work the linnorm down a few CR, less HD or the young template. Or advance a drake of the appropriate type.

The linnorm doesn't have much casting that would give a mundane party fits, so just tweaking it down should work. They'll have a huge action economy advantage.

Crag Linnorm ( Young ) CR 13

XP 25600
CE Huge dragon
Init +8; Senses darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent, true seeing; Perception +22
DEFENSE
AC 27, touch 12, flat-footed 23 (+4 Dex, +15 natural, -2 size)
hp 172 (15d12+75) regeneration 10 (cold iron)
Fort +14, Ref +15, Will +13;
Defensive Abilities freedom of movement; DR 15/cold iron; Immune curse effects, fire, mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, sleep; SR 25;
OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft., fly 100 ft. (average), swim 60 ft.
Melee bite +21 (2d6+8/19-20 plus poison), 2 claws +21 (1d6+8), tail +16 (1d8+2 plus grab)
Space 15 ft.Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks breath weapon, constrict (tail, 2d6+18), death curse
STATISTICS
Str 26, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 5, Wis 18, Cha 21;
Base Atk 15; CMB 27; CMD 43
Feats Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack
Skills Fly +20, Perception +22, Swim +36
Languages Aklo, Draconic, Sylvan
ECOLOGY
Environment cold hills
Organization solitary
Treasure triple
SPECIAL ABILITIESBreath Weapon (Su) Once every 1d4 rounds as a standard action, a crag linnorm can expel a 120-foot line of magma, dealing 15d8 points of fire damage to all creatures struck (Reflex DC 22 halves). This line of magma remains red-hot for 1 round after the linnorm creates it. Creatures that took damage on the first round take 6d6 fire damage the second round (Reflex DC 22 negates), as does any creature that walks across the line of magma. If the magma was expelled while the linnorm was airborne, it instead rains downward during the second round as a sheet of fire no more than 60 feet high that does 6d6 damage (Reflex DC 22 negates) to any creature that passes through it. On the third round, the line of magma cools to a thin layer of brittle stone that quickly degrades to powder and sand over the course of several hours; magma that's turned to a sheet of fire is consumed entirely during the second round, leaving behind only a stain of smoke in the air that swiftly disperses. The save DC -2 Constitution-based. Death Curse (Su) When a creature slays a crag linnorm, the slayer is affected by the curse of fire. Curse of Fire: save Will DC 20; effect creature gains vulnerability to fire. The save DC -2 Charisma-based. Freedom of Movement (Ex) A crag linnorm is under the constant effect of freedom of movement, as per the spell of the same name. This effect cannot be dispelled. Poison (Su) Bite-injury; save Fort DC 22; frequency 1/round for 10 rounds; effect 2d6 fire damage and 1d4 Con drain; cure 2 consecutive saves. The save DC -2 Constitution-based. True Seeing (Ex) A crag linnorm has constant true seeing, as per the spell of the same name.
Source: PFRPG Bestiary

Rift Drake ( Giant Advanced )CR 11
XP 12800
CE Huge dragon (earth)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +16
DEFENSE
AC 28, touch 12, flat-footed 24 (+4 Dex, +16 natural, -2 size)
hp 192 (11d12+99)
Fort +16, Ref +11, Will +10;
Immune paralysis, sleep; Resist acid 30;
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
Melee bite +23 (4d6+16/19-20 plus bleed), tail slap +17 (1d10+9 plus trip)
Space 15 ft.Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks bleed (1d6), clinging corrosion, pounce, savage bite
STATISTICS
Str 37, Dex 19, Con 28, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 15;
Base Atk 11; CMB 24; CMD 38
Feats Bleeding Critical, Critical Focus, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Skills Climb +19, Fly +13, Intimidate +14, Perception +16, Sense Motive +13, Stealth +9, Survival +15
Languages Draconic
SQ speed surge

Rift Drake ( Giant x2 Advanced ) CR 12
XP 19200
CE Gargantuan dragon (earth)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +16
DEFENSE
AC 30, touch 10, flat-footed 26 (+4 Dex, +20 natural, -4 size)
hp 236 (11d12+121)
Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +10;
Immune paralysis, sleep; Resist acid 30;
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
Melee bite +25 (6d6+20/19-20 plus bleed), tail slap +19 (1d10+13 plus trip)
Space 20 ft.Reach 20 ft.
Special Attacks bleed (1d6), clinging corrosion, pounce, savage bite
STATISTICS
Str 45, Dex 19, Con 32, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 15;
Base Atk 11; CMB 28; CMD 41
Feats Bleeding Critical, Critical Focus, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Skills Climb +21, Fly +10, Intimidate +14, Perception +16, Sense Motive +13, Stealth +4, Survival +15
Languages Draconic
SQ speed surge
ECOLOGY
Environment warm hills or mountains
Organization solitary, pair, or rampage (3-12)
Treasure standard
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Clinging Corrosion (Su) As a standard action, a rift drake can spit a ball of caustic gas that bursts into a cloud upon impact. This attack has a range of 60 feet and deals 5d10 points of acid damage to all creatures within the resulting 15-foot-radius spread. Additionally, any creature damaged by this attack is affected as though by the spell slow for 1d4 rounds. A successful DC 26 Reflex save halves the damage and negates the slowing effect. Once a rift drake uses its breath weapon, it cannot do so again for 1d6 rounds. The save DC 6 Constitution-based. Savage Bite (Ex) A rift drake applies 1-1/2 times its Strength bonus to damage dealt with its bite attack, and it threatens a critical hit on a 19-20. Speed Surge (Ex) Three times per day as a swift action, a rift drake can draw on its draconic heritage for a boost of strength and speed that allows it to take an additional move action that round.

Go Monster Builder! (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-advancer)

Shining Wrath
2013-04-02, 12:14 PM
Tyrannosaurus seems like a good start, except for the puny little arms. An Elder Xorn? Remorhaz? Gray Render?

Vaz
2013-04-02, 12:19 PM
Beast of Xvim /anything?
Slaad?

Waker
2013-04-02, 12:26 PM
Where did the party encounter this thing? Underground? Over a river or canyon? Also what is the ECL for the party?

Tvtyrant
2013-04-02, 12:26 PM
Is this pathfinder? I don't know that game too well, but you could always make a half-dragon Kraken. It's Gargantuan, would have claws, and can plausibly exist out of water by flying. For added kicks make all of the tentacles clawed.

RFLS
2013-04-02, 12:34 PM
Where did the party encounter this thing? Underground? Over a river or canyon? Also what is the ECL for the party?

In an underground tomb/cavern. The cavern is big enough that pretty much any living creature could fit into it. The party is level 9, gestalt. Probably ECL 10/11 or so.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-02, 12:47 PM
How about a Fleshwarped Great Cyclops?

It's Huge size category, CR 13ish and is basically just a bruiser.

hymer
2013-04-02, 12:47 PM
Just throwing this out there for good measure: Any ole stats you like made to fit the description by giving the critter a new name and looks.

Callin
2013-04-02, 12:48 PM
Add Stats and Class to taste

Primal Half Giant Half Minotaur Huge Creature

str +4 +4+2+16= +26
Dex +2-2-4= -4
con +2+2+2+8= +14
Int -2-2= -4
Wis +2-2= 0
Cha -4
-2 to hit and AC
+7 Natural AC

CR+3

Bite Damage 2d6 19-20x2
Claw Damage 2d8 18-20x2
Gore Damage 2d6 x2

Fierce Howl 1/Hour
Sonic Attack Will Save DC 14 Fear for 1d6 minutes no effect on more than 6HD creatures
Darkvision 60
Scent
DR 1-3 -
4-7 2/-
8+ 5/Magic
Unless Base creature has better. then use the better values

+2 Search, Spot, Listen
+4 vs Maze Effects

Powerful Build

Edit:
I created that as a PC for a game one time. I called him Gigantor.

Deadline
2013-04-02, 12:58 PM
In an underground tomb/cavern. The cavern is big enough that pretty much any living creature could fit into it. The party is level 9, gestalt. Probably ECL 10/11 or so.

Hmm, from the Monster Manual there's:

most of the gargantuan monstrous vermin
Animated Objects or Elementals might fit in there. There's also the unloved Delver.
There's the Athach! (CR 8, so maybe beef it with a template).
Cloud Giant?
Hydras are always beefy

Fiend Folio has the Ulgurstasta, CR 11. It's a gargantuan skeleton spewing maggot-like creature. Certainly fits the terrifying aspect.

Mountain Troll MM3

Bluespawn Godslayer from MM4 might work.

Craa'ghoran Giant from MM4 might be a bit much, but could work.

You could also take something low CR but big, and apply the Monster of Legend template to it. Maybe the CR 5 Ibrandlin from Monsters of Faerun? It's a big, dumb (Int 4) dragon with no wings and a toned down fire breath, it might strike a nice chunk of fear into the party, especially if buffed with a template or two.

Ibrandlins, also called "lurkers in darkness", are dragon-like monsters created by clerics to guard sacred underground locations. They look like elongated, wingless red dragons, with gray-scaled bodies tinged with red on the back and belly.

Ibrandlins speak halting Draconic

stack
2013-04-02, 01:03 PM
For mid-high op gestalts, maybe just stick with the crag linnorm. Again, the party has the action economy advantage and the primary threat from it is its melee. If it spreads its attacks around you shouldn't drop anyone too quickly but still make it a dangerous fight.

Tvtyrant
2013-04-02, 01:10 PM
There is also the ZEUGALAK from Lords of Madness. It is only huge, but it looks weird and has a lot of natural attacks (also CR 12)

RFLS
2013-04-02, 01:24 PM
For mid-high op gestalts, maybe just stick with the crag linnorm. Again, the party has the action economy advantage and the primary threat from it is its melee. If it spreads its attacks around you shouldn't drop anyone too quickly but still make it a dangerous fight.

Hrm...that's probably true. The problem is going to be that none of them are immune or even have resistance to fire, so the second that breath comes out, someone's going to have a *drumroll* hot time of it.

Bluespawn Godslayer from MM4 might work.

You could also take something low CR but big, and apply the Monster of Legend template to it. Maybe the CR 5 Ibrandlin from Monsters of Faerun? It's a big, dumb (Int 4) dragon with no wings and a toned down fire breath, it might strike a nice chunk of fear into the party, especially if buffed with a template or two.

I like these two... What are good templates to increase the size of a monster? The Godslayer would be spot on if it were bigger, I think. If I use the Ibradlin, I'm going to call it a Cave Linnorm or something (mostly because I can't pronounce Ibradlin consistently XD).

Deadline
2013-04-02, 03:01 PM
I like these two... What are good templates to increase the size of a monster? The Godslayer would be spot on if it were bigger, I think. If I use the Ibradlin, I'm going to call it a Cave Linnorm or something (mostly because I can't pronounce Ibrandlin consistently XD).

Well, I understand there is a Giant template in Pathfinder, that might push the Bluespawn up to where you want it to be. The Ibrandlin is already Gargantuan, making it Colossal seems ... excessive.

But you could slap a few fun templates on it. Insectile, from Savage Species for that heebie-jeebie effect. Maybe slap Fiendish on it? I'll have to dig around and look at templates to see what jumps out at me.

Edit - You could give it a super-toned down version of the Pyroclastic Dragon's Annihilation breath. Any time it uses it's breath weapon it can choose to use either the Fire cone, or a line of annihilation (a low power disintegration effect). Since the damage on the Ibrandlin breath weapon is low (2d6), make the disintegration line do 4d6 damage on a failed fort save (and disintegrate if the damage reduces the foe to 0 hp), or 1d6 damage on a successful save.

RFLS
2013-04-02, 04:03 PM
How's this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=545325) look? I took a suggestion from earlier up-thread and toned down the linnorm, and then added templates. I think I managed to make it more predictable for me in a fight, hopefully resulting in a not-TPK. I used the Primitive and Two-Headed templates. Anything you can't immediately account for is probably a result of one of them. I specifically toned down the poison. A lot.