PDA

View Full Version : Blood Magus (3.5 Class)

LordErebus12
2013-04-02, 12:05 PM
Blood Magus
http://i.imgur.com/XW3eaej.png

Abilities: Wisdom, Constitution, Dexterity
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d12; When blood elemental is out, the blood magus' total hp is cut in half.

Class Skills
The Blood Magus’ class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]{colsp=13}Table: Blood Magus Class
Level| BAB | Fort| Ref |Will| Special | 0 | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th

1st |+0 |+2 |+0 |+0 | Blood Magic, Blood Offering, Stanch|3|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd |+1 |+3 |+0 |+0 | Blood Elemental (Small) |4|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd |+1 |+3 |+1 |+1 | Durable Casting|4|2|-|-|-|-|-
4th |+2 |+4 |+1 |+1 | Blood bond 20 ft. |5|3|-|-|-|-|-
5th |+2 |+4 |+1 |+1 | Blood Elemental (Medium) |5|4|-|-|-|-|-

6th |+3 |+5 |+2 |+2 | Deathwatch|6|4|2|-|-|-|-
7th |+3 |+5 |+2 |+2 | Empowered Blood |6|5|3|-|-|-|-
8th |+4 |+6 |+2 |+2 | Blood bond 40 ft. |6|5|4|-|-|-|-
9th |+4 |+6 |+3 |+3 | Blood Elemental (Large) |6|6|4|2|-|-|-
10th |+5 |+7 |+3 |+3 | Regenerative Blood|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

11th |+5 |+7 |+3 |+3 | Awaken Blood|6|6|5|4|-|-|-
12th |+6/+1 |+8 |+4 |+4 | Blood bond 60 ft. |6|6|6|4|2|-|-
13th |+6/+1 |+8 |+4 |+4 | Blood Elemental (Huge) |6|6|6|5|3|-|-
14th |+7/+2 |+9 |+4 |+4 | Blood Tracking|6|6|6|5|4|-|-
15th |+7/+2 |+9 |+5 |+5 | Extract Blood Elemental |6|6|6|6|4|2|-

16th |+8/+3 |+10 |+5 |+5 | Blood bond 80 ft. |6|6|6|6|5|3|-
17th |+8/+3 |+10 |+5 |+5 | Blood Elemental (Greater) |6|6|6|6|5|4|-
18th |+9/+4 |+11 |+6 |+6 | Deathproof |6|6|6|6|6|4|2
19th |+9/+4 |+11 |+6 |+6 | Blood Elemental (Elder) |6|6|6|6|6|5|3
20th |+10/+5 |+12 |+6 |+6 | Blood bond 100 ft. |6|6|6|6|6|5|4
[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Blood Magus.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Blood magus are proficient with all simple weapons and one martial or exotic weapon of their choice. Blood magus are proficient with light armor but with no shields. The blood magus suffers no arcane spell failure while wearing light armor.

Spells:
The blood magus spontaneous cast arcane spells drawn from the sorcerer/wizard list, but can also cast spells from the healing domain. For the purpose of spells known and spells per day, the blood magus uses the numbers as shown on the table above. The blood magus is a wisdom based arcane caster.

1st - Blood Magic:
Upon casting of a spell, the blood magus must sacrifice 1 hit point per spell level, or the spell fails, in addition to the point offered for the Blood Offering if a material component is required.

1st - Blood Offering (Su):
A blood magus can substitute a drop of his own blood for a spell’s material components, if any, and in so doing increase the spell’s power. The pinprick or minor knife cut to draw the requisite blood is a free action (just like using material components) that becomes a normal part of casting the spell. Using this ability deals 1 point of damage to the blood magus but raises the spell’s caster level by 1. Damage reduction, if the character has any, doesn’t apply to this damage. If a spell has a costly material component (greater than 1 gp), the component must still be provided. If a spell has no material component, a blood magus can still use this ability to enhance a spell if he desires.

1st - Stanch (Ex):
A blood magus automatically becomes stable when his hit points drop below 0. He still dies if he reaches –10 hit points or lower.

2nd - Blood Elemental (Ex):
A blood magus can cause his blood to become a blood elemental companion as a standard action. The blood elemental is identical to a water elemental of that size category, except it has hit points equal to half the blood magus’ total hit points. While the blood elemental is active, the blood magus halves his hit point total. This blood elemental shares an alignment and will obey your command, but has free will of its own. The elemental can return to the blood magus' body as a standard action, restoring total hit points to the blood magus.

This Blood elemental begins at small size at 2nd level. At 5th, 9th, 13th, 17th and 19th levels, the blood elemental improves a size category, to the maximum of elder water elemental at 19th level. This blood magus also gains deliver touch spells, empathic link, and share spells as below.

Share Spells (Ex):
At the blood magus’ option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his blood elemental. The elemental must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the elemental if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the elemental again even if it returns to the blood magus before the duration expires. Additionally, the blood magus may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his elemental (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. A blood magus and his blood elemental can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the elemental’s type.

Empathic Link (Su):
The blood magus has an empathic link with his blood elemental out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The blood magus cannot see through the elemental’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content can be communicated.

Deliver Touch Spells (Su):
A blood elemental can deliver touch spells for the blood magus. If the blood magus and the blood elemental are in contact at the time the blood magus casts a touch spell, he can designate his elemental as the “toucher.” The elemental can then deliver the touch spell just as the blood magus could. As usual, if the blood magus casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.

3rd - Durable Casting (Ex):
A blood magus has a knack for being able to concentrate on casting spells and maintaining them despite taking damage while doing so. For making a Concentration check to cast, concentrate on, or direct a spell when he might be distracted by damage, a blood magus subtracts his level from any hit point damage dealt to him by an attack that strikes him during the action (or whenever he is subject to a source of continuous damage). A blood magus still takes all the damage dealt to him, but the damage is less likely to affect his ability to cast, concentrate on, or direct spells successfully.

For example, a 5th-level blood magus can “ignore” 5 points of damage from each source that damages him while casting a spell for the purpose of determining the DC of his Concentration check to cast successfully. If struck for 6 points of damage while casting a spell, he must make a Concentration check to successfully cast, but the DC is only 10 + 1 (damage dealt minus 5) + the spell’s level. A 15th-level blood magus could ignore up to 15 points of damage dealt from each source that damages him during casting (and thus wouldn’t have to make a Concentration check if struck for 15 points of damage or less).

4th - Blood Bond (Su):
Upon entering the class, you gain a unique understanding of blood magic. You can bind together a portion of their life force into your own body, connecting willing allies in a bond of blood. Doing so takes 10 minutes and requires each person to be blood-bonded to suffer 1 point of damage, adding a drop of their blood to the vial. Once the vial is full, the blood magus suffers 5 points of damage, adding his own blood before drinking the entire mixture.

When you create the bond, you can connect a number of allies equal to your bonus in your wisdom modifier. Creatures must be within line of sight to have their life force bound, and they must be living creatures. A bond lasts for 24 hours or until you create a new one. You are always connected to your own bond, and you do not count against the limit of allies that can be connected.

Once you have bonded, you can send your spells to your allies within the given range (see table above). Although you cast but a single spell, you can have it affect every creature in your bond, as if the group were a single creature. The maximum level of spell you can cast into a bond is equal to half your class level. Only spells with the “harmless” designation in their saving throw entry or ones requiring willing targets can be cast into a bond. In addition, spells with a range of personal cannot be cast through a bond. If a spell has a costly material component or an XP cost, you must expend one casting’s worth of the material component or pay the XP cost for each creature targeted by the spell (including yourself).

You can exclude specific creatures connected to a bond from a spell if you like. If the spell requires decision-making on your part, you must make the same decision for everyone the spell is meant to affect. For instance, if you cast protection from energy through the blood bond, you must choose the same energy type for everyone affected by the spell. A blood bond doesn’t allow your spells to affect illegal targets. You can’t affect objects with spells cast into your blood bond, even if those objects are held by your allies (for instance, you can’t use it to deliver a greater magic weapon spell).

6th - Deathwatch (Sp):
The blood magus can use deathwatch as a spell like ability, at will. This is a necromancy effect, but not an evil effect, as normal.

7th - Empowered Blood (Su):
With a sacrifice of 1d4 hit points per spell level; All variable, numeric effects of the spell are increased by one-half, as if empowered. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A spell affected by this ability uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level. If the blood magus ever gains the “empower spell” metamagic feat, this ability only uses up a slot one higher than the spell’s actual level.

10th - Regenerative Blood (Su):
The blood magus can heal wounds with extreme speed; the blood magus can, once per day, gain fast healing equal to the blood magus’ wisdom modifier for a number of rounds equal to the blood magus' level.

11th - Awaken Blood (Sp):
A blood magus can bestow momentary consciousness on an opponent’s blood. If he hits a foe with a melee touch attack, the opponent’s blood tries to get free of its confinement—all at once. The pressure disrupts the victim’s tissues, dealing 10d10 points of damage. This ability is usable only three times per day, but a blood magus can try to use it again later in the day if his previous attempt failed.

The effect is instantaneous. Constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, undead, and any creatures without blood or a similar substance within their bodies are immune to this effect. This is a transmutation effect.

14th - Blood Tracking (Su):
The blood magus gains the ability to sense the source of any blood he has a small sample of in a vial. By concentrating for a full round, the blood magus can determine the source of the blood sample, knowing the direction and distance of the creature it belonged to. By concentrating for a second full round, you can determine the exact location of the creature it belonged to.

Additionally, three times per day, the blood magus can cut himself, dealing 2d6 damage creating a scrying effect on the creature. A creature whose Hit Dice are higher than the blood magi’s level can attempt a Will saving throw (DC 10 + Blood Magus level + Wis modifier) to avoid detection. An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw has immunity to your locate possession ability for 24 hours.

15th - Extract Blood Elemental (Sp):
The blood magus can control the blood within the chosen target. It cries out in pain, a moment before blood spurts forth from its pores and each orifice. As a standard action, his brutal ability causes the targeted creature within close range to dehydrate horribly as the blood in its body is forcibly extracted through its eyes, nostrils, mouth, and pores.

This deals 1d6 points of damage per blood magus level (maximum 20d6), or half damage on a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 Blood Magus level + Wisdom modifier). If the targeted creature is slain by this spell, the extracted moisture is transformed into a blood elemental of a size equal to the slain creature (up to Huge). The blood elemental is under your control, as if you summoned it, and disappears after 1 minute.

This spell has no effect on living creatures with the fire subtype. This is a transmutation (Water) effect. This ability can only be used once per day, but a blood magus can try to use it again later in the day if his previous attempt failed.

18th - Deathproof (Su):
The blood magus becomes immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects, as if under a permanent death ward effect. This ability does not remove negative levels that the blood magus has already gained, nor does it affect the saving throw necessary 24 hours after gaining a negative level. This ability does not protect against other sorts of attacks, even if those attacks might be lethal.

Feirgon
2013-04-02, 12:28 PM
In "Blood Bond" you reference eldritch tapestry...

I think this is a pretty well rounded class. And seems really fun to play.

LordErebus12
2013-04-02, 12:31 PM
In "Blood Bond" you reference eldritch tapestry...

I think this is a pretty well rounded class. And seems really fun to play.

fixed. yeah, it was based off that war weaver ability, but its better as it provides ranged castings of touch spells.

Feirgon
2013-04-02, 12:31 PM
Also, you may want to note that a returned Blood Elemental restores hit points to the caster, as this is not stated implicitly (though I am assuming that is the intended effect).

LordErebus12
2013-04-02, 12:33 PM
Also, you may want to note that a returned Blood Elemental restores hit points to the caster, as this is not stated implicitly (though I am assuming that is the intended effect).

it is. good catch.

Edit: Fixed

kinem
2013-04-02, 12:41 PM
How is this balanced with the standard sorcerer? It's way overpowered. HD should be d4, as a start. Arcane access to the healing domain is the classic example of overpowered homebrew. I'd think this was an April Fools joke if it had been posted yesterday.

Feirgon
2013-04-02, 12:43 PM
May want to note that the HP sacrificed in Blood Magic cannot be reduced in any way, unless it can be.

The HP cost of both Blood Magic and Blood Offering seems really low, especially for higher levels. Perhaps these should scale to either caster level or spell level, thoughts?

Feirgon
2013-04-02, 12:44 PM
How is this balanced with the standard sorcerer? It's way overpowered. HD should be d4, as a start. Arcane access to the healing domain is the classic example of overpowered homebrew. I'd think this was an April Fools joke if it had been posted yesterday.

Holy, I didn't even notice hit dice. Yea, that is way to high...

LordErebus12
2013-04-02, 01:04 PM
Holy, I didn't even notice hit dice. Yea, that is way to high...

it does divide to about half. id never give this a d4. d20 hit dice was intentional.
I could see d12, though.

Sorcerer is extremely underpowered, imo.

kinem
2013-04-02, 01:09 PM
Sorcerer is extremely underpowered, imo.

I disagree, as do most.

But don't pretend this is a 3.5 class. It is obviously meant for a game with extensive house rules, and makes no pretense of being suitable to be dropped into a standard 3.5 game alongside a sorcerer PC.

LordErebus12
2013-04-02, 01:17 PM
I disagree, as do most.

But don't pretend this is a 3.5 class. It is obviously meant for a game with extensive house rules, and makes no pretense of being suitable to be dropped into a standard 3.5 game alongside a sorcerer PC.

then i can lower it. its set at d12.

since i use 3.5 as a source for much of my homebrew, yes, it is. It runs off the system it was designed for. im sorry if you strongly dissagree. But we can work with this. what would you make it? if it sacrifices half its total hp, and uses its own life to fuel its magic. lets find a middle ground.

Edit: d12 and up to 6th level spells.

kinem
2013-04-02, 01:30 PM
All of the blood magic just gives it options.

Even if I just want to cast spells normally, and will never use blood magic, why should I ever choose a normal sorcerer when I can choose this class and gain a lot more hp, plus access to healing spells, plus casting based off a stat that gives a bonus to saves, plus a few extra defensive abilities like better Concentration checks? Let's start there.

And then even if I do have a blood elemental out, my half hp is just as high as the sorcerer's full hp, so where's the tradeoff there?

Edit: I see you changed the spellcasting down to 6th level max. That could work, maybe, but the spell levels need to be spaced out more like a bard's.

LordErebus12
2013-04-02, 05:15 PM
All of the blood magic just gives it options.

Even if I just want to cast spells normally, and will never use blood magic, why should I ever choose a normal sorcerer when I can choose this class and gain a lot more hp, plus access to healing spells, plus casting based off a stat that gives a bonus to saves, plus a few extra defensive abilities like better Concentration checks? Let's start there.

okay, let me lower the will saves to poor, make the damage for casting mandatory.

And then even if I do have a blood elemental out, my half hp is just as high as the sorcerer's full hp, so where's the tradeoff there?

not meant to be a trade off, it was intentional. since the class is run off hp.

Edit: I see you changed the spellcasting down to 6th level max. That could work, maybe, but the spell levels need to be spaced out more like a bard's.

okay, let me work on it.

LordErebus12
2013-04-02, 05:33 PM
Fixed the progression of spells and will saves.

made the hp loss as a main penalty for casting, see blood magic.

stanch went back to first level, with the empowered blood ability moved from 1st to 7th.

kinem
2013-04-02, 10:02 PM
Much better, Erebus. I have to give you credit for responding constructively.

Fast healing at 10th level is probably too good. It should be limited to 1 round/day/level.

Also, I would get rid of the reliable (as it's known in 4e) quality of the 11th and 15th level attacks (can try to use it again later in the day if his previous attempt failed), and consider making the 11th level one (Sp).

With those changes, I think it's reasonable. It would not be an automatic choice for a caster, but it would not be automatically passed over, either. That's as it should be :smallcool:

LordErebus12
2013-04-03, 03:31 AM
Much better, Erebus. I have to give you credit for responding constructively.

Fast healing at 10th level is probably too good. It should be limited to 1 round/day/level.

Also, I would get rid of the reliable (as it's known in 4e) quality of the 11th and 15th level attacks (can try to use it again later in the day if his previous attempt failed), and consider making the 11th level one (Sp).

With those changes, I think it's reasonable. It would not be an automatic choice for a caster, but it would not be automatically passed over, either. That's as it should be :smallcool:

alright, ill make the changes tomorrow, im headed to bed.

Edit: made the changes.