PDA

View Full Version : Rules on mounted combat.

Renen
2013-04-02, 03:11 PM
Can someone point me to rules on mounted combat?
I am playing a character with a mount that will do most of the work, while my PC just sits there looking good. So I am looking for the probability of enemy hitting me on my mount. My PC is small, and my mount is Medium. The mount will likely get larger... Much larger... Would that affect the rider's chances of not being hit?

Allanimal
2013-04-02, 03:40 PM
mounted combat rules: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat

I'm no expert, but I know of no rules that would cause an attack aimed at your mount to hit you. the attacker can choose to attack you or the mount. the attack either hits the target or misses, with no chance of hitting the other, not targeted, creature.

Flickerdart
2013-04-02, 03:55 PM
You can use the Ride skill to gain cover (+4 AC) from your mount, so while some people might try and attack you, it won't be very simple. The feat Mounted Combat also allows you to use the Ride skill to protect your mount from attacks, so both of you will be tougher when together.

ArcturusV
2013-04-02, 03:59 PM
And of course, since you plan on having the mount do all the Combat, you can also go and do something like use a very defensive build. Throw in a Tower Shield for Cover. Why not? You're not attacking, immediately gain Superior Cover. Could go and train yourself in a feat like Close-Order Drill or Phalanx, train your mount in that as well when/if it gains levels, automatically get defensive bonuses everytime you're riding it for both yourself and your mount.

Probably better options out there too, but nothing jumping up to mind.

Gwendol
2013-04-02, 04:10 PM
Use all your standard actions to cast spells, most likely, or be a bard and inspire courage in your mount.

Renen
2013-04-02, 04:27 PM
Im a summoner with eidolon dragon...
Im just wondering if there are any rules which would make it harder to hit a small character on a big/giant mount?

Urpriest
2013-04-02, 04:37 PM
Im a summoner with eidolon dragon...
Im just wondering if there are any rules which would make it harder to hit a small character on a big/giant mount?

Same rules that make it harder to hit a small character in general. The mount doesn't make you any smaller.

Renen
2013-04-03, 12:36 PM
But if im riding a giant dragon, logically it should be way harder to reach me up there. But I guess there are no rules for that are there?

Urpriest
2013-04-03, 12:38 PM
But if im riding a giant dragon, logically it should be way harder to reach me up there. But I guess there are no rules for that are there?

It would also be harder for you to reach anybody else. The rules assume that you're placing yourself somewhere on your mount where you can actually attack your enemies, which means you're occasionally low enough to be within easy reach.

Stormageddon
2013-04-03, 02:33 PM
Cover: You can react instantly to drop down and hang alongside your mount, using it as cover. You can't attack or cast spells while using your mount as cover. If you fail your Ride check, you don't get the cover benefit. Using this option is an immediate action, but recovering from this position is a move action (no check required).

That's your best option. DC 15 ride check.

Ravens_cry
2013-04-03, 04:28 PM
You get a bonus to hit from higher ground incidentally.

Allanimal
2013-04-03, 05:58 PM

Logic doesn't enter into it, since we are talking about D&D rules.

when you are mounted, the rider shares space with the mount. every square occupied by the mount is consudered also occupied by the rider, even a diminutive rider on a colossal mount. (at least thats how my table interprets the somewhat vague sharing space rule) so in some respects, a larger mount makes the rider easier to hit in the respect that more enemies can be in reach of the rider at any one time.

Renen
2013-04-03, 10:27 PM
Damn rules... I wont actually be trying to hit anyone, but might try to use spells to buff Eidolon and such. So I guess ill have to use the ride check