PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Strike TWF question

Dayaz
2013-04-02, 03:23 PM
OK, I've seen TWF in a couple unarmed attacks, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm planning on playing a Skarn Monk/Unarmed Swordsage, using the Skarn Monk racial class to use my spines as unarmed strikes. Here's the question: would TWF give me extra spine/unarmed attacks?

Jack Zander
2013-04-02, 03:24 PM
It'll give you extra misses, that's for sure. :smallamused:

Curmudgeon
2013-04-02, 03:37 PM
If you're using your arm spines as an unarmed attack, you don't qualify for TWF. That requires a second weapon, and you've got just one unarmed strike (which you can deliver with any/all parts of your body, including your arm spines).

Namfuak
2013-04-02, 04:25 PM
OK, I've seen TWF in a couple unarmed attacks, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm planning on playing a Skarn Monk/Unarmed Swordsage, using the Skarn Monk racial class to use my spines as unarmed strikes. Here's the question: would TWF give me extra spine/unarmed attacks?

That's a prickly question. "There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed." As written, that seems to imply that monks cannot use their unarmed strike as an offhand weapon for the purpose of two weapon fighting. There is also the problem that two weapon fighting specifies that you use two separate weapons ("a separate weapon in the off-hand"), and your unarmed strike is only one weapon. Natural weapons, such as the spines, use different rules and aren't able to be combined into two-weapon fighting (however, you always get a free spine attack when you full attack at -5, or -2 with multiattack).

EDIT: Just noticed that you are including spine as your unarmed strike, so the last part isn't as cogent.

Big Fau
2013-04-02, 04:52 PM
If you are using Spinemeld Warrior, yes.