PDA

View Full Version : +1 damage per die

gr8artist
2013-04-02, 05:05 PM
I know there's another one out there. I need a feat/item/spell that grants +1 (or more) damage per die on my offensive spells. I don't need a class or race suggestion.
I already have the following:
[3.5] Fiery spell metamagic feat
[3.5] Pyro feat
[PF] Draconic bloodline arcana

I remember seeing another feat or something that gives +1 damage per die on spells. I just can't remember what it's called.

Gazzien
2013-04-02, 05:12 PM
I know there's another one out there. I need a feat/item/spell that grants +1 (or more) damage per die on my offensive spells. I don't need a class or race suggestion.
I already have the following:
[3.5] Fiery spell metamagic feat
[3.5] Pyro feat
[PF] Draconic bloodline arcana

I remember seeing another feat or something that gives +1 damage per die on spells. I just can't remember what it's called.

You can be a Crossblooded sorcerer to get a second Bloodline Arcana that also gives +1 per die. -nod-

Randomguy
2013-04-02, 05:35 PM
Acid Sheath (level 5 spell in SpC) does this for acid spells.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-02, 05:38 PM
You can be a Crossblooded sorcerer to get a second Bloodline Arcana that also gives +1 per die. -nod-

Primal bloodline arcana is the same deal as Draconic. Wildblooded works with Crossblooded, so I suggest Primal/Orc Crossblooded.

Orc bloodline boosts all spell damage, it's not restricted to a particular element. So take it even if you don't go Crossblooded.

gr8artist
2013-04-02, 05:38 PM
Yep, just noticed cross-blooded for Orcish or Primal Elemental. Can I take a 1st level in sorceror again for a third bloodline arcana?
Crossblooded Sorceror (dragon/orc) 9, Sorceror (primal elemental) 1?

Waddacku
2013-04-02, 05:46 PM
Not feat/item/spell, but the War Mage PrC from Age of Mortals (Dragonlance) adds +3 damage per die over 5 levels. +1 at first.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-02, 06:16 PM
Yep, just noticed cross-blooded for Orcish or Primal Elemental. Can I take a 1st level in sorceror again for a third bloodline arcana?
Crossblooded Sorceror (dragon/orc) 9, Sorceror (primal elemental) 1?

No, but you can use a Goblin Fire Drum (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goblin-fire-drum), which increases your Fire damage by +1 point per die, up to +10. Just keep all explosives and oils very far away from you (or in extradimensional spaces) when you try to use this thing. As a sorcerer, you should have little trouble making the check with max ranks in Perform (Percussion). The explosion of alchemical items can also make for a pretty epic assassination, if you sit your target down near some explosives before a drum solo.

Also, consider the Searing Spell metamagic feat, as it lets you bypass that pesky "fire immunity" people keep blathering about. That makes the damage practically irresistible (and for SR/magic-immunity, you have Orbs. I still don't know how the Emerald Legion defended against that). If nothing else, it's worth going to the Plane of Fire and using Fireballing Fire elementals, just to see the looks on their faces when they burn to death in their own element.

Gazzien
2013-04-02, 08:40 PM
I do believe, however, that you can take the "Eldritch Heritage" feat line for a third Bloodline Arcana, could you not?

EDIT: I'm incorrect, it gives the 1st-level Ability.

avr
2013-04-02, 08:41 PM
Favored class bonuses? That's +1/2 level to damage if you have a relevant race (half-orc for sorcerers).

Goblins can get a feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/flame-heart-goblin) to get +1 caster level to fire spells. And/or there's Bloodmage initiate for a general +1 caster level albeit with downsides.

For spells, Deathwine (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/deathwine) gives a caster level boost - but to necromantic spells, not what you're after I think. Create demiplane, gretaer lets you have fire spells enhanced within it, but it's a 9th level spell.

gr8artist
2013-04-03, 03:03 AM
Thanks to everyone. I must have imagined the feat in question.
In case you're curious, this is my current demon-hunting fallen-angel build:
Structure: Heavenborn angel-blooded aasimar cross-blooded sorceror (draconic/elemental (primal)) 8, paladin 2
[favored class benefit increases caster level by 1/4 when casting "good" spells] Currently +2
Feats: Fey foundling, Elemental casting, Extra traits (magical knack/lineage (fireball)), Eschew materials
M.Magic: Consecrate spell, Fiery spell, Empower spell
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 18
I should probably switch Fey Foundling out for something else (which is why I'm trying to remember this feat)
Pyro works for my Fire arrow spell (acid arrow, but with fire), but that's about it unless I can track down other spells which deal damage over time.
Casts [good] spells at CL +3, and [fire] spells at +2. Casts at CL 15 if both.

Ithandor
2013-04-03, 06:19 AM
Snowcasting + Cold Spell Specialization (both from Frostburn)

Preaplanes
2013-04-03, 06:27 AM
"Empower Spell"?

Spuddles
2013-04-03, 06:36 AM
Check out the guild options in Inner Sea Magic- crazy broken. Gain 6 ranks in a guild and get a +1 to your sorcerer casting level, which includes spells known and everything. There's a rank 35 one that gets you +3 in one casting class and +1 in another. Esoteric training or something like that.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-03, 12:53 PM
(magical knack/lineage (fireball)

You can't take two traits from the same list. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits#TOC-Restrictions-on-Trait-Selection) Also, see if you can find a way to bypass the reflex-save-for-half on Fireball.

Maybe you could switch Fey Foundling to Searing Spell or Elemental Spell? Or just get a metamagic rod of the latter.

Also, for your spells known/progression woes, try picking up some Pages of Spell Knowledge.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-04-03, 03:43 PM
There's also the Pathfinder version of Persistent Spell, which is a +2 metamagic that says you need to save twice against a spell.

gr8artist
2013-04-03, 05:11 PM
Yep, yep, all those ideas are now noted and saved for future reference. I really like that War Mage PrC

Spuddles
2013-04-03, 05:21 PM
Wayang Spell Hunter, a regional trait, does the same thing as magical lineage. And they stack.

gr8artist
2013-04-03, 10:31 PM
Further investigation into the Goblin Fire Drums has led me to this little idea:
Multiclassed halfling opportunist/sorc (accursed), tricks PC's into fighting in an arena. A small one, roughly 30' across. Up to 10 followers (leadership feat) sit around the edge playing their drums. Each of them is a 1st level sorceror with the Accursed bloodline (at will, aid another to increase the opportunist's CL by +2)
So the BBEG in the middle benefits from 10 goblin drums (+10 dam/die) and 20 extra caster levels from the other sorcerors in his "coven". Now I just need spells with no level cap for damage :)
Give him Fey Foundling and a charismatic Oracle/War-Mage cohort for heals and extra AC, plus the extra source of fire spells. Good times.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-03, 11:05 PM
Further investigation into the Goblin Fire Drums has led me to this little idea:
Multiclassed halfling opportunist/sorc (accursed), tricks PC's into fighting in an arena. A small one, roughly 30' across. Up to 10 followers (leadership feat) sit around the edge playing their drums. Each of them is a 1st level sorceror with the Accursed bloodline (at will, aid another to increase the opportunist's CL by +2)
So the BBEG in the middle benefits from 10 goblin drums (+10 dam/die) and 20 extra caster levels from the other sorcerors in his "coven". Now I just need spells with no level cap for damage :)
Give him Fey Foundling and a charismatic Oracle/War-Mage cohort for heals and extra AC, plus the extra source of fire spells. Good times.

IIRC, bonuses from the same source (like Goblin Fire Drum) don't stack. It may be different for this case, but who knows?

For Extreme Evil: Goblin Fire Drums, and the previous room was the dungeon's stock of Oil flasks and alchemical explosives, which the PCs happily looted.

Spuddles
2013-04-03, 11:08 PM
IIRC, bonuses from the same source (like Goblin Fire Drum) don't stack. It may be different for this case, but who knows?

For Extreme Evil: Goblin Fire Drums, and the previous room was the dungeon's stock of Oil flasks and Alchemist Fire.

Also, the floor is lava.

gr8artist
2013-04-03, 11:47 PM
Fire drum (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goblin-fire-drum) specifically states that it stacks, up to +10
Nah, it's going to be a travelling band of halflings, so no "previous room in which to find explosives"... although I could say that the local alchemist is having a going out of business sale... :smallbiggrin:

Spuddles
2013-04-04, 12:02 AM
Raging flame, SpC, increases magic fire damage by 1 per die and regular fire by 1d6.

Alleran
2013-04-04, 12:08 AM
The "Havoc of the Society" trait gives you +1 damage to the total damage dealt by your spells, but it isn't +1 damage per die.

TuggyNE
2013-04-04, 12:23 AM
Fire drum (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goblin-fire-drum) specifically states that it stacks, up to +10

I can certainly see why you would think so, but I'm pretty sure that's not actually what it says; rather, it gives +1 per die, continuously, no stacking, up to a maximum of +10 total per spell/effect. (I.e., if you cast burning hands, it'd be 5d4+5, or fireball would be 10d6+10, but delayed blast fireball would only go up to 20d6+10, not 20d6+20.)

gr8artist
2013-04-09, 03:45 AM
Aww shucks. That was my new favorite encounter strategy. Get leadership and a whole posse of drummers and go to town.
Oh well, I think your interpretation makes more sense. I'll go with that...
After my players take out this next encounter.

Edit ~
Well, now that I look at it again, I think you can stack multiple drums. I don't see anything saying that you can't, and the bonus is untyped. Perhaps the +10 maximum is a limit that applies to both a high-die damage spell as well as a multiple-drums strategy.
Examples:
Burning hands, 1 drum, CL 5: 5d4+5
Burning hands, 2 drums, CL 5: 5d4+10
Burning hands, 3+ drums, CL 5: 5d4+10

TuggyNE
2013-04-09, 04:23 AM
Edit ~
Well, now that I look at it again, I think you can stack multiple drums. I don't see anything saying that you can't, and the bonus is untyped. Perhaps the +10 maximum is a limit that applies to both a high-die damage spell as well as a multiple-drums strategy.
Examples:
Burning hands, 1 drum, CL 5: 5d4+5
Burning hands, 2 drums, CL 5: 5d4+10
Burning hands, 3+ drums, CL 5: 5d4+10

Even untyped bonuses don't stack if they come from essentially the same source.

gr8artist
2013-04-10, 04:19 PM
Ah? Really? I'd never heard that before. Do you mind citing that rule or letting me know where I can find it?

Edit ~ Nevermind, I polled the internets.
So, for clarification, only one drum can affect a fire; additional drums won't increase the fire's strength any more than the first. And the drum's effect stops at 10 dice. Any more than that, and the bonus is capped.
So, regardless of the number of drums or the number of dice dealt by your spell, the fire will deal a maximum of +10 damage?

TuggyNE
2013-04-10, 04:54 PM
Ah? Really? I'd never heard that before. Do you mind citing that rule or letting me know where I can find it?

Edit ~ Nevermind, I polled the internets.
So, for clarification, only one drum can affect a fire; additional drums won't increase the fire's strength any more than the first. And the drum's effect stops at 10 dice. Any more than that, and the bonus is capped.
So, regardless of the number of drums or the number of dice dealt by your spell, the fire will deal a maximum of +10 damage?

That's right.

SinsI
2013-04-10, 04:56 PM
How about the classics - Empower spell metamagic feat?

Slipperychicken
2013-04-10, 05:54 PM
How about the classics - Empower spell metamagic feat?

I agree, although I think the point of the thread is for ways to improve damage before spell level increases.

For general damage output, you may want a metamagic rod of Empower Spell, and one of Elemental Spell (remember, many of your damage bonuses will still apply, because it changes damage type and not the [element] tag).

gr8artist
2013-04-10, 06:02 PM
Thanks Tugg. And yeah, I know about other ways to increase overall damage, such as Empower spell, but I'm trying to avoid casting higher level spells or using metamagic.
The feat I was looking for is Elemental Boost, which has a PF 3rd party version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/kobold-press/general-feats---3rd-party---kobold-press/elemental-boost), as well as a 3.5 version (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Elemental_Boost_(3.5e_Feat)).
Not sure if the 3.5 version is official or 3rd party. Anyone know?

TuggyNE
2013-04-10, 06:27 PM
Thanks Tugg. And yeah, I know about other ways to increase overall damage, such as Empower spell, but I'm trying to avoid casting higher level spells or using metamagic.
The feat I was looking for is Elemental Boost, which has a PF 3rd party version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/kobold-press/general-feats---3rd-party---kobold-press/elemental-boost), as well as a 3.5 version (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Elemental_Boost_(3.5e_Feat)).
Not sure if the 3.5 version is official or 3rd party. Anyone know?

Seems to be third-party; it's from a "Netbook of Feats", which doesn't sound familiar.

gr8artist
2013-06-02, 08:24 AM
Looking back over some of my old stuff. This question arose: If I cast a spell like acid arrow, but I use a MM rod to change that to fire damage, can I cast the spell with a MM feat that's specific to fire damage, such as searing spell or the like?
Basically, do I check for MM benefits of a feat before or after the MM benefit of a rod? Or is it my choice?

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-02, 10:36 AM
Raging flame, SpC, increases magic fire damage by 1 per die and regular fire by 1d6.

And it's only 1st level, so very cheap to Quicken.