PDA

View Full Version : Converter

Howler Dagger
2013-04-02, 05:56 PM
Does anybody know of free software I can get to convert MP3 files to MIDI files? I have been having trouble finding one that will work.

Thajocoth
2013-04-02, 06:18 PM
Not possible.

Midi is separate instrument tracks. This becomes sound as it's played. mp3/wav are the resulting soundwaves, already flattened (and for an mp3, compressed). It would be like trying to recreate the Photoshop layers from a jpg.

You can probably find a way to shove the soundwave data into a midi track, but the file will be much bigger than the mp3 and will lose all the possible reasons you might want it to be a midi file.

JoshL
2013-04-02, 06:57 PM
Well, not possible is not strictly true, possible and free does not seem likely. Expensive pitch correction software (antares, melodyne) can do polyphonic pitch detection, and you could export the note data as a MIDI file. However, as you can imagine, the more instruments you've got going on at once, the more difficult it is to separate. But it can be done; I sometimes convert guitar jams so I can practice bits while arranging solos.

Are you looking to learn some songs or do something else with the MIDI files? You'd probably be better off searching for the files. Many people have arranged many popular songs for MIDI already (karaoke kinda thrives on it). Or, of course, sit down with a keyboard, listen and transcribe/arrange it for yourself. If you can, I'd recommend that. It's a good way to train your ear.

Oh, and you can't put soundwave data in a MIDI file. If you want both audio and MIDI data, you need some sort of wrapper (a project file for most music software can do the job for you). But MIDI specs dictate it is data alone.

scurv
2013-04-02, 09:25 PM
Download audacity and if you have the right sound card you can use it to record the sound on the audio bus for your speakers.