PDA

View Full Version : Change to casting

Seer_of_Heart
2013-04-02, 06:41 PM
I wrote out a small idea that helps to buff spontaneous casters and nerf prepared ones.

I propose adding a seventh stat called magical affinity or supernatural affinity because I realized that some of my imaginary sorcerer concepts don't work with charisma as their primary stat because they are someone who I'd describe to be very uncharismatic. It was when I thought of a new stat to replace charisma in terms of magical effect. I think that all spontaneous casters should be SAD with that stat and making their old casting stat an extra source of bonus spells. Wizards and druids should have their old casting stat determine castable spells and save DCs and the magical affinity determining their bonus spells if any.

Tricky cases
Archivist:I would make int his dc and castability and Magical affinity for bonus spells. I don't see how wisdom should even be part of this class in the first place other than the default WOTC divine casters use wisdom.

Favoured soul: This is tricky, I'd say wisdom should be their second bonus spells stat while they still are SAD with magical affinity for what they need to cast

What do you think of my proposed changes? Would any of you play in a game using this variant? Have suggestions to improve this?

Aegis013
2013-04-02, 07:20 PM
I'd still play. I wouldn't necessarily be happy about the rules change but it wouldn't prevent me from playing assuming the game was still fun.

That being said, this doesn't actually make prepared casters such as Wizard and Archivist any less overpowering. It also doesn't change the best of the spontaneous casters whatsoever: Sorcerer would still value Affinity > Con > Dex > all that other junk.

You can have a high charisma score and play someone who is terribly unsocial, unable to effectively manipulate people (without the likes of say, Charm Person, or derivatives). It's up to you how your character is going to act at the end of the day, not your ability scores. Although it can chafe at some tables if the guy with 8 int is the strategist and other such things.

Lastly, shouldn't this go in the Homebrew Sub-forum?

Seer_of_Heart
2013-04-02, 07:25 PM
You can have a high charisma score and play someone who is terribly unsocial, unable to effectively manipulate people (without the likes of say, Charm Person, or derivatives). It's up to you how your character is going to act at the end of the day, not your ability scores. Although it can chafe at some tables if the guy with 8 int is the strategist and other such things.

Lastly, shouldn't this go in the Homebrew Sub-forum?

It bothers me to not have someone's ability score at least loosely tie into how I roleplay it but that might just be me.

I have no idea but it seems similar enough to subtle rule change threads that I've seen on this forum so I'm thinking its okay.

Aegis013
2013-04-02, 08:56 PM
It bothers me to not have someone's ability score at least loosely tie into how I roleplay it but that might just be me.

I have no idea but it seems similar enough to subtle rule change threads that I've seen on this forum so I'm thinking its okay.

It's certainly not just you. There are plenty of tables where that kind of thing isn't looked well on, and plenty of people that feel the same.

You could always just ask the DM if you could have a feat to change your casting stat to Wis or Int or something. Or if you are the DM, offer it to players in your position.

Phippster
2013-04-02, 09:14 PM
Depending on why or why not he's uncharismatic, having a high charisma can certainly still work. Charisma is never actually necessarily required to mean people LIKE you, it means people LISTEN. You could play them as a lovable jerk, for instance. Or simply someone who has such a sheer force of personality that people overlook his blunt, tactless statements and still regard him as socially savvy because he convinces people in such a manner.

Alleran
2013-04-02, 09:22 PM
You could always just ask the DM if you could have a feat to change your casting stat to Wis or Int or something.
There's already a third-party feat to do that. It's a 3.0 one, but shouldn't be too hard to put into play.