PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Dexterity Bonus

Blueiji
2013-04-02, 07:16 PM
Are there any types of armor, materials, or enchantments that remove the maximum dexterity bonus from a piece of armor?

Alternatively, what combinations of special materials and enchantments would be useful in pumping the maximum dexterity bonus of a piece of light armor as high as possible.

Thanks for the help.

Glimbur
2013-04-02, 07:20 PM
Mithral is nice. There's a Nimble (or is it Nimbleness) property in... probably Magic Item Compendium.

Are you attached to a particular piece of armor? Gnome Twistcloth, from Races of Stone, has no max Dex bonus. It's like wearing nothing at all!

Blueiji
2013-04-02, 07:31 PM
.Are you attached to a particular piece of armor? Gnome Twistcloth, from Races of Stone, has no max Dex bonus. It's like wearing nothing at all!

That sounds perfect, I'll check it out. Thank you.

Shining Wrath
2013-04-02, 07:31 PM
Mithral increases maximum Dex bonus by 2.
Nimbleness (MIC) increases it by +1 for a +1 bonus cost and can be added more than once.
A mithral-bodied Warforged can take Mithral Fluidity. It's not as good as Nimbleness.
While it's not Dex bonus, a Knight gains the ability to move at their normal rate in armor at 5th (M) and 9th (H) levels.

A mithral breastplate would count as light armor and grant +5 maximum dex.

A mithral chain shirt would count as light armor and grant +6 maximum dex, for effectively the same armor class (+10) as the breastplate. You'd have better arcane spell casting and armor check penalties with the chain. If you have Dex of 22 or more, the mithral chain shirt is better than the mithral breastplate so long as you aren't caught flat footed.

Callin
2013-04-02, 07:34 PM
If third party is allowed

Originally Posted by killem2
Graceful allows no max dex bonus for any armor.

It is a +1 bonus. It is from those monte cook 3rd party books, swords and sorcery I think?

because i would rather quote him and give credit as to where i remembered it from.

TuggyNE
2013-04-02, 07:34 PM
Gnome Twistcloth, from Races of Stone, has no max Dex bonus. It's like wearing nothing at all!

Except it doesn't make you invisible! (Much to the relief of your adventuring companions.)

elonin
2013-04-02, 07:48 PM
That +1 for no maximum dexterity to armor sounds too strong, which is usual for 3rd party material.

It would be helpful to know your dexterity modifier in order to do a cost benefit. It might be worth your while to invest in bracers of armor, though you run the risk of loosing your armor bonus if it's dispelled or in an AMF.

Preaplanes
2013-04-02, 07:52 PM
If you're just looking for a good armor for a high-dex character, might I suggest Mithral Chain Shirt? Very high maximum dex, but eventually a Rogue will get so fast that it starts to become a hindrance.

Callin
2013-04-02, 07:56 PM
That +1 for no maximum dexterity to armor sounds too strong, which is usual for 3rd party material.

It would be helpful to know your dexterity modifier in order to do a cost benefit. It might be worth your while to invest in bracers of armor, though you run the risk of loosing your armor bonus if it's dispelled or in an AMF.

I agree but it wasnt a fly by night obscure company. Its Monte Cook.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-02, 07:59 PM
Underdark and Races of the Wild had some nice tables with unusual armors for high-Dex types.

I think blackscale from Underdark was my go-to for races with high Dex (that for some reason aren't buying bracers of armour). Just sounds/looks cool.

Deaxsa
2013-04-02, 08:34 PM
It's like wearing nothing at all!

i looked at your avatar and this is who i saw saying that (with that expression too)

TuggyNE
2013-04-02, 08:56 PM
I agree but it wasnt a fly by night obscure company. Its Monte Cook.

And my respect for him is proportionally diminished.

+1 to completely remove a particular restriction? That's way out of the power curve. Even in a WotC official book, that would be grounds for banning the special ability or just leaving the book out altogether (depending on the proportion of similarly-absurd items/feats/spells in there), but in a third-party book, much more so.

And, when you come right down to it, Monte has no more than a passable reputation for balance, from what I've heard.

NikitaDarkstar
2013-04-02, 08:58 PM
Why not just get the good old Bracers of Armor? Or are they too expensive?

Coidzor
2013-04-02, 09:02 PM
Mithral is nice. There's a Nimble (or is it Nimbleness) property in... probably Magic Item Compendium.

Are you attached to a particular piece of armor? Gnome Twistcloth, from Races of Stone, has no max Dex bonus. It's like wearing nothing at all!

nothing at all! nothing at all! nothing at all!

Stupid, sexy gnomes....

There's a couple of other options for an armor with no max dex bonus, like the bond leaf wrap, I believe Darrin? (Daarin? Darren?) posted a pretty nifty listing of just about all of the armors and armor materials of interest that he'd accumulated for a handbook attempt recently but I'm having trouble remembering what thread that was in...

Alternatively, there's some thought that you can treat a set of clothing as bracers of armor and put armor properties and +X on them in addition to the armor bonus of the bracers of armor property to them.