PDA

View Full Version : Finding Dory - Announced for 2015

Haruki-kun
2013-04-02, 09:44 PM
So, the sequel to Pixar's Finding Nemo has a title and a release date now. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JJmDavBXrw)

Extra Link. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/finding-dory-disneypixar-lands-ellen-degeneres-for-2015-sequel-to-finding-nemo/2013/04/02/516cd51e-9bbf-11e2-a941-a19bce7af755_blog.html)

I was somewhat iffy on it when I first heard Pixar was making a sequel to Finding Nemo ("Did Nemo get lost AGAIN? Jeez!"), but I gotta say I'm actually a little excited about this one. I can see a movie with a bigger focus on Dory being good, and I have a lot of faith in Andrew Stanton, the director.

Thoughts, Playgrounders?

endoperez
2013-04-03, 06:33 AM
How can anyone possibly find Dory?

I don't think even Dory can find Dory.

But it's about trying to find her - and even Dory could spend a full feature film trying to find Dory! :D

DigoDragon
2013-04-03, 06:45 AM
I have no opinion at the present moment. Pixar generally delivers on the goods so I don't feel any sense of dread. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2013-04-03, 05:45 PM
Meh, when are they gonna make the Incredible 2? Also, so long as it's better than Brave, I'll like it.

Sunken Valley
2013-04-03, 05:54 PM
I have a lot of faith in Andrew Stanton, the director.

Thoughts, Playgrounders?

Someone hasn't seen John Carter.

Also, we can't have an Incredibles 2 as Brad Bird can't think of a concept as good as Incredibles 1 which he feels is important. I say do the super kids grown up but I don't think that's good enough and then I get disney sequel flashbacks

INoKnowNames
2013-04-03, 06:18 PM

I'm not as shocked that Finding Nemo is getting a sequel as I am just realizing that I am just realizing that Ellen was Dory's voice actor. I could never place the name and face together until now.

Seriously. I've seen her on that energy ride every time I went to Disney World, and I've watched Finding Nemo lots of times on trips there, and yet I -never- made the connection until now.

Derp.

I hope they can improve upon the script so it isn't just Finding Nemo with a new paintjob... but they did a Toy Story 3, so faith can be given confidently.

Mauve Shirt
2013-04-03, 06:22 PM
Pixar has run out of ideas.
It's official: No movies will be original stories for the rest of my life.

INoKnowNames
2013-04-03, 06:28 PM

That's a depressing way to think about it... really, humanity's been taking old plots and prettying them up with new elements for the 10k plus years of recorded history we've had, and the incredibly long time we've existed telling stories before that.

Originality's long since been dead, but that's not a forcibly -bad- thing. Only when it stops a product from being good, and Pixar usually delivers good.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-03, 07:13 PM

You still have Zoidberg Dreamworks! You all still have Dreamworks!

t209
2013-04-03, 07:17 PM
And Monster University. :smallfrown: Darn!

The Glyphstone
2013-04-03, 07:17 PM
You still have Zoidberg Dreamworks! You all still have Dreamworks!

You mean the company that makes the movie(s) about the animal(s) that do things animals don't normally do, and they all make that face?

Mauve Shirt
2013-04-03, 07:43 PM
That's a depressing way to think about it... really, humanity's been taking old plots and prettying them up with new elements for the 10k plus years of recorded history we've had, and the incredibly long time we've existed telling stories before that.

Originality's long since been dead, but that's not a forcibly -bad- thing. Only when it stops a product from being good, and Pixar usually delivers good.

It's not even recycling old plots. They're not even bothering to make new characters to act out the old plots. The trappings aren't unique enough to make the stories unique enough to stand out.

Kitten Champion
2013-04-03, 08:03 PM
I have trepidation with this turning into something like Disney's sequels to their 90's animations that felt like poorly written fan fiction. Toy Story had three good movies, although I only really loved the first one I didn't ask why the other two were made.

Then came Cars 2, having never really liked Cars, Cars 2 did feel like it was a soulless creation of profit-hungry move executives who just wanted to exploit their IP to sell more toys and crap.

Haruki-kun
2013-04-03, 09:40 PM

I have not, no. I have, however, seen Wall-E, Finding Nemo, Monster's Inc., A Bug's Life, and Toy Story 1, 2, and 3. 1/8 of his films failed, it's a good ratio. :smallbiggrin:

You mean the company that makes the movie(s) about the animal(s) that do things animals don't normally do, and they all make that face?

They recently started doing adaptations of existing books instead. Not to say they're not good: Rise of the Guardians and How to Train your Dragon were great. It doesn't say much in the way of originality, true, but it is very good cinematography.

Lupus753
2013-04-03, 09:45 PM

The weird thing is, you just described Kung Fu Panda, which is one of my favorite animated movie series.

The poster for Cars has the Dreamworks Face. It was considered Pixar's worst movie until Cars 2. Coincidence?

The Glyphstone
2013-04-03, 09:49 PM
The weird thing is, you just described Kung Fu Panda, which is one of my favorite animated movie series.

The poster for Cars has the Dreamworks Face. It was considered Pixar's worst movie until Cars 2. Coincidence?

I know, it scares me too. Clearly, The Face is sentient and malicious, and Cars was its attempt to infect Pixar as well. It worked to a degree, but weakened The Face and as a result Kung Fu Panda was able to succeed.

INoKnowNames
2013-04-03, 09:57 PM

You know, I'm actually not quite sure what it is about Kungfu Panda, but it's just plain right. Dreamworks face or not, you can't deny that it's a damn good movie series.

As for originality, I can take things that are obviously rehashes of old ideas and such, even with reused characters, so long as I still enjoy the end product. Whether or not I do depends on if they can use those tropes right or not... Some can, some can't.

kpenguin
2013-04-03, 09:59 PM

Yeah, but the poster (http://www.traileraddict.com/content/walt-disney-pictures/toystory.jpg)for Toy Story has the Dreamworks Face and it was considered Pixar's best movie until Toy Story 2. Coincidence?

Dr.Epic
2013-04-03, 10:06 PM

Cars never had a sequel. Just like the Matrix never did either.

Haruki-kun
2013-04-03, 10:10 PM
Yeah, but the poster (http://www.traileraddict.com/content/walt-disney-pictures/toystory.jpg)for Toy Story has the Dreamworks Face and it was considered Pixar's best movie until Toy Story 2. Coincidence?

Yes, but it wasn't the Dreamworks face back then. It's Science. *sagenod*

Starbuck_II
2013-04-03, 10:50 PM
You know, I'm actually not quite sure what it is about Kungfu Panda, but it's just plain right. Dreamworks face or not, you can't deny that it's a damn good movie series.

As for originality, I can take things that are obviously rehashes of old ideas and such, even with reused characters, so long as I still enjoy the end product. Whether or not I do depends on if they can use those tropes right or not... Some can, some can't.

I can name one thing: Kung Fu Panda has a Panda in it. The world has finally started to get a Flurry of pandas.

Plus, Jack Black was in it, although Guiliver's travels wasn't his best; it wasn't a failure.
I can't wait for Kung Fu Panda 4, I want more details on Panda empire!

Flame of Anor
2013-04-07, 01:52 AM

What? John Carter was a great movie! It only bombed because the marketing was utterly botched.

oblivion6
2013-04-07, 03:31 AM
I can't wait for Kung Fu Panda 4, I want more details on Panda empire!

Am I the only one in the world who can't stand those movies?

As to Finding Dory, I think it might turn out alright and i'll have to give it a watch. I remember thinking the original was quite silly for the longest time, but it eventually grew on me.

INoKnowNames
2013-04-07, 12:06 PM
Am I the only one in the world who can't stand those movies?

I have one friend who dislikes animals acting like humans, but I feel like that's a rather weak excuse to dislike a movie.

LaZodiac
2013-04-07, 12:51 PM
I'm really just going to say this.

If the movie turns out to be an incredibly, heart warming exploration of how people with Dory's condition (short term memory lose) have to cope with the world, it'll be great. It'll tear hearts out like friggen Kano, but it'll be amazing. Think "Memento" but with fish and no killing people.

KoboldRevenge
2013-04-07, 01:09 PM
Maybe it it'll be about her finding her lost family.

You know the one that was hinted at in the first movie.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-04-07, 01:52 PM
Also, so long as it's better than Brave, I'll like it.

What are you talking about, Brave was great!

Yeah, the main character was sort of immature and rash... until the point of the movie where that came back to bite her. There are people who like Revolution, and the plot hook character (what, main character? No, that's Miles Matheson, Charlie is just the girl who got him to do stuff) in that is ten times as annoying, with no serious consequences despite living in a supposedly dangerous world.

Anyway, I'm secretly hoping Finding Dory is a ten-minute short film.

The Glyphstone
2013-04-07, 01:57 PM
Anyway, I'm secretly hoping Finding Dory is a ten-minute short film.

Looped over and over for two hours?

Mauve Shirt
2013-04-07, 02:49 PM
Looped over and over for two hours?

Yep, in 4D and the tickets cost $17

Karoht
2013-04-11, 12:00 PM
How can anyone possibly find Dory?
I don't think even Dory can find Dory.
There needs to be a Dora the Explorer connection/reference, for the lulz.

Maybe it it'll be about her finding her lost family.
You know the one that was hinted at in the first movie.
You ninja'd me to pointing this out.
So American Tale, but under the sea?
Actually, come to think of it that actually sounds pretty good.
Personally, I want to see more of the turtles, and just more of the ocean life in general.

@Originality
My litimus test for 'originality' in media is, does it make me laugh. Because rarely will one laugh at the same joke over and over, even if it is genuinely funny. If I laugh at it, it's original enough.
Besides, if we want to get down to brass tacks, quite a bit of modern media is a take on the heroes journey. And yet we somehow have original iterations on the theme, spanning multiple genre's. I guess it depends on how nitpicky someone is.
Obi-Wan is Gandalf is Dumbledore.
And yet, to say these characters are the same is to say root beer, 7up, and cola are the same because they are pop.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-11, 01:42 PM
What are you talking about, Brave was great!

Yeah, the main character was sort of immature and rash... until the point of the movie where that came back to bite her. There are people who like Revolution, and the plot hook character (what, main character? No, that's Miles Matheson, Charlie is just the girl who got him to do stuff) in that is ten times as annoying, with no serious consequences despite living in a supposedly dangerous world.

Brave was just another princess that didn't want to be a princess film. It didn't really add anything new. The vast majority of the characters were severely underdeveloped. The triplets literally had no character other than comic relief. They didn't even talk. The witch was bland too. And by the way, was the only spell the witch could cast was the turn you into a bear spell because that's her solution to everything. The suitors were all bland and clones of each other, same as their fathers. The only character I liked was the king. The most positive thing I can say about Brave was it's better than Cars.

Karoht
2013-04-11, 01:52 PM
I was all set to believe that Finding Dory would be a short to ship with Planes.
Then I read this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finding_nemo#Sequel
Now I don't have a reason to go see Planes. Yay?

Dr.Epic
2013-04-11, 02:25 PM
Now I don't have a reason to go see Planes. Yay?

I can give you one: alcohol. Available at wine shops, liquor shops, and creep guys hanging out in alley ways.