PDA

View Full Version : Wis focused "samurai" help

Fuzzy McCoy
2013-04-02, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little help in getting a samurai-esque build I've had kicking around for a while now. I'm looking to have a lockdown/main damage build with a wisdom focus, wielding a naginata(glaive). I don't mind being MAD, though obviously if I need all 6 I might object.

My must haves:

Three Combat Form feats: Combat Focus, Combat Vigor, Combat Stability
Wields a glaive
Stands Still feat
4 + int skill points on average, with a decent skill list
Big single strikes
Some sort of ability to enhance his weapon on his own, feats work fine

Things I really really want:

No flashy effects. It should be a dude swinging a well made weapon that doesn't falter, no matter what. No shooting fireballs from his eyes and lightning from his, well, you know :smallbiggrin:

Things I want in addition:

Ability to make lethal unarmed strikes
Blind Fight feat
Combat Awareness feat

Assume no dragon, no faerun. Homebrew is acceptable, but I'd prefer a build of first party material.

My first thoughts was just warblade 20 or swordsage 2/Warblade 18, focusing on diamond mind, iron heart, and a dash of stone dragon

Warblade 20
H: Stand Still
1. Combat Focus
3. Ancestral Relic
5 (B). Combat Reflexes
6.Combat Stability
9. Combat Vigor, Blind Fight
12. Power Attack
13. Improved Init
15. Open
17. Open
18. Open

DMVerdandi
2013-04-02, 10:56 PM
Perhaps think about using the unarmed swordsage for monk stuff as well.

Zonugal
2013-04-02, 11:12 PM
What about a build like:

Lesser Aasimar Warblade 4/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Warblade 1/Shiba Protector 1/Warblade 8/Unarmed Swordsage 1/Warblade 3.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-02, 11:32 PM
I see that you're willing to try out Homebrew - this is good.

As this class here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206517) has pretty much everything that you're looking for.

Must haves:
Three Combat Form feats (check, use your feats)
Wields a glaive (proficiency with Martial Weapons? Check)
Stands Still feat (Again, you'll have to grab it)
4 + int skill points on average, with a decent skill list (Check out the skill list - it's not half bad, and you get 4+Int)
Big single strikes (Martial Maneuvers from Stone Dragon, Iron Heart and Devoted Spirit? Yes please!)
Some sort of ability to enhance his weapon on his own, feats work fine (Ancestral Daisho class feature works beautifully here)

Things I really really want:
No flashy effects. It should be a dude swinging a well made weapon that doesn't falter, no matter what. No shooting fireballs from his eyes and lightning from his, well, you know (Iron Heart is pure martial skill, very little flash and bang)

Things I want in addition:
Ability to make lethal unarmed strikes (channel your martial strikes with your unarmed strikes)
Blind Fight feat (buy it)
Combat Awareness feat (again, buy it - maybe invest in Flaws?)

Daftendirekt
2013-04-03, 05:24 AM
My first thoughts was just warblade 20 or swordsage 2/Warblade 18, focusing on diamond mind, iron heart, and a dash of stone dragon

That's pretty much the best way to play a samurai without actually playing a samurai. Go for it.