PDA

View Full Version : Armor guide?

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-03, 12:26 AM
Point of curiousity: Is there a well-accepted armor guide on this forum (or on another site and otherwise referenced, as the poison handbook is)? I know there's a shield guide, but I have not seen any armor guide referenced, and I have a significant number of notes of my own gathered that I would be happy to configure for such a use, if there is not such a resource yet.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-03, 01:09 AM
There's this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19859922/The_3.5_Armor_and_Shield_Special_Abilities_thread) . Its formatting is unfortunate, but it addresses enhancements.

On the types of armor themselves, probably 95% of the time, the whole question is "Chain Shirt, Breastplate or Full Plate: which is the heaviest you can wear?"

ArcturusV
2013-04-03, 01:12 AM
Though it'd be nice to also have all the special materials for armor in one nice convenient location as well.

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-03, 02:19 AM
Well, there are a number of little mundane enhancements to armor that might well be worth having compiled, especially for skill monkeys who might appreciate a +2 circumstance to whatever for a reasonable price. Also, little tricks like putting the called magic enhancement on quick-escape armor, or getting full plate without ASF or without armor check could be worth noting.
Additionally: Mechanus plate, dendritic armor, dwarven stone armor. All are, in certain builds, more useful than full plate, before one goes into the more esoteric things that can substitute for a rogue's chain shirt and give good bonuses.
Furthermore, there are significant things worth disagreeing with in that post that was linked (First and foremost, no consideration of easy travel armor being of value for enhancing light armor. Effectively doubles the carrying capacity, and can be put on barding and thus could allow such things as flying when the mount couldn't otherwise while carrying a rider. Tell me how that isn't worth 1500g (Well, another 1150g if you weren't going to make the armor magical before, but still...).).
Unless someone indicates it would be redundant, unecessary, or not well received, I'll have things in a table format and ready to post by late tomorrow. Not necessarily comprehensive right off the bat, but everything from what a dwarf needs to what a halfling needs (well, technically all the stuff that a specific dwarf and a specific halfling needed, but I might be able to rephrase that and make it sound cool).

Greenish
2013-04-03, 02:38 AM
Darrin has mentioned that he's working on an armour handbook. I for one look forwards to it.

Darrin
2013-04-03, 06:17 AM
Darrin has mentioned that he's working on an armour handbook. I for one look forwards to it.

I do indeed have an armor handbook, but it's WIP while I finish up another handbook on TWF. I've posted bits of it here and there, but right now the biggest stumbling block is it needs some heavy table formatting, and I'm afraid some of the info will get mangled. Still, might be worth it to post what I have and then edit it later.

Person_Man
2013-04-03, 08:49 AM
I have a fairly extensive Guide to Shields (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630) (which I need to update for Pathfinder sooner or later). Making a good armor guide would probably take a lot longer though, since there's just a lot more magical armor out there. Best of luck to you Darrin - don't be afraid to post a half done guide if you feel like it. It'd probably still be a lot better then what's out there right now.